General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Me and the Little Blue Mini that lived

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2012 | 12:13 PM
James Wright
|
1st Gear
Me and the Little Blue Mini that lived

Lets start from the very beginning of my driving. 1 year ago when i got my license my parents gave me the beater truck which was a dodge durango with 150k and dont get me wrong that truck got me too and from places. Also i beat the hell out of it i mean it was a rwd v8 kid hauler so any weather that made driving conditions less than satisfactory the "gold beast" as we called it was sideways screaming away and we did other stupid things like jumping railroad track and off roading with it. So after a year of beating the hell out of this truck i decided it was time to get a nice little car because 13mpg wasnt cutting it anymore. So i had a good amount saved up and the car hunt began my parents were pushing for a little four cylinder car and no rwd so basically i had to choose between a honda/nissan because at the time i was not even thinking about mini's . So i head out and look at a bunch of cars and none of them really hit me as something im ready to dump my life savings into. Then one night on craigslist i just put in a max price and hit search and i stumble upon a blue mini cooper s on page 8 i clicked it for just ***** and giggles. That click started something great. My dad always liked mini coopers so he encouraged me to go look at it i was still trying to convince them on some big v8 rwd car i.e. mustang camaro. So we go look at this car i see a 6speed so i'm becoming more and more interested so we took it for a test drive and this was something i was not expecting when we were taking exit ramps at 60 70 when all im thinking when i first saw this car is grocery getter. Then he started playing with the throttle and it sounds good it actually sounds good now were making offer on the car and we settle on 9k . Best 9k Ever Spent.

About 5 weeks after buying the car i was already in love with this car that i barely knew, but the clutch started sticking and sticking more and more as it went on then the fly wheel cracked.... Made the mistake of bringing it to a mini dealership and it ran me 3700 for a new clutch/flywheel so i took it in the chin and moved on.

3 weeks after getting my car back from mini with a brand new clutch assembly midnight dew turned to ice and a safe 30mph turn transformed into a catastrophic 30mph slide on black ice and the car hit front right wheel first jumped up onto the curb all 7 passenger airbags went off and the yellow fire hydrant dug into the rear quarter panel of the car then then rear right tire slaped the curb completely destroying the passenger side but everybody was ok and the frame was not bent

Now in my mind im thinking this car cannot be ment to be with all of these problems but my insurance reluctantly with some persuation agreed to fix my car that i loved so much basically it needed a whole new rear assembly and also a whole new front right drivetrain but the expensive part were the airbags that actually have been replaced with used airbags from another totaled r53 that was in the same shop and the body work was simple but the indi blue paint was hard to match i luckily chose the right mechanic / body shop because it came out great nobody would be able to tell if it was in an accident

Now this car has saved my life literally and has taught me valuable lessons about driving because nothing was worse than the call i had to make saying that i thought i totaled my new baby but after those tense weeks after the accident everything worked out.

She gets a bath every week and a wax every other week i dont have access to a garage so its hard to keep it clean from water spots

Me and my car have been through a lot together not only just the bad times but also good times packing it out going to the beach going to six flags, water parks and in a week from today we will be traveling to waterfest 18 with a group of people from my town so that should be extremly fun

I hope to see some of you at waterfest and it you see an indi blue mini with a white roof/stipes/front grill with a hula girl on the dash say hi

Heres to many more adventures in the little blue car

Old 07-12-2012 | 12:21 PM
GigglesMcMini
6th Gear
Wow, that's quite the story!! Nice to see a young person humble and smart enough to learn from his mistakes and admit it! Now take care of that sweet blue MINI and yourself!! Have some fun, but be safe!!!