General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Missing Paddle Shifters (Retrofit) on Early 2012 Models

Search this Thread

Old 08-02-2012, 05:33 PM
Wilde Maus
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Missing Paddle Shifters (Retrofit) on Early 2012 Models

Hi, just wondering if anyone who was affected by this has visited their dealer yet and got their paddle shifters retrofitted?

I am going to have mine done in a week and hopefully they'll know what their doing.

Last edited by Wilde Maus; 08-02-2012 at 06:00 PM.
Old 08-02-2012, 06:15 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
There is a campaign on this, all dealers have the data and kits should be on hand. Even if you are not a paddle shifter driver, I would get this done anyways.

Old 08-02-2012, 07:02 PM
DesertDog
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
My Coupe' was one that didn't have paddles when I picked it up. It took 7 months to get it retro fitted. The dealer did a great job, I can't tell that there is any differance than from the factory.

Old 08-03-2012, 10:37 AM
Wilde Maus
2nd Gear
Thanks guys.

Old 08-03-2012, 11:14 AM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Received 164 Likes on 103 Posts
Just out of interest - do you R56 owners need a new steering wheel when you get the paddle shifters retrofitted?

Old 08-08-2012, 11:22 AM
Wilde Maus
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Noonzio
Just out of interest - do you R56 owners need a new steering wheel when you get the paddle shifters retrofitted?

Good question Noonzio. We were supposed to get a leather steering wheel from the factory but got some hard-plastic wheel instead w/o the paddle shifters. I kinda doubt that they'll swap it for a leather one when they do the retrofit (probably too costly).

I wrote to MINI and asked about the leather steering wheel but haven't heard back yet. Will keep everyone posted.

Also, could anyone who had the retrofit done already let us know if they changed the steering wheel?

Old 08-08-2012, 11:28 AM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Wilde Maus
Good question Noonzio. We were supposed to get a leather steering wheel from the factory but got some hard-plastic wheel instead w/o the paddle shifters. I kinda doubt that they'll swap it for a leather one when they do the retrofit (probably too costly).

I wrote to MINI and asked about the leather steering wheel but haven't heard back yet. Will keep everyone posted.
But surely they'll need to replace the wheel either way, since the paddle shifters will require a 'cut-out' in the back of the wheel? I'm just about to fit a JCW alcantara wheel into my R53 MCSa . . and will be doing the retro-fit paddle cut outs

Old 08-09-2012, 11:29 AM
Wilde Maus
2nd Gear
But surely they'll need to replace the wheel either way, since the paddle shifters will require a 'cut-out' in the back of the wheel? I'm just about to fit a JCW alcantara wheel into my R53 MCSa . . and will be doing the retro-fit paddle cut outs

Oh okay. I will know more in approx. two weeks when it's done.

Good luck with your retro-fit project Noonzio.

Old 08-09-2012, 11:46 AM
Noonzio
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Wilde Maus
Oh okay. I will know more in approx. two weeks when it's done.

Good luck with your retro-fit project Noonzio.
Retro-fit failed - the internal metal structure of the JCW wheel is not the same as the stock wheel from the MCSa, so its not possible (for me anyway) to drill holes so that the paddle shifters can be mounted in the correct place / at the correct angle. Unfortunate really, as the JCW wheel was my favorite mod on my manual R53 and I was looking forward to having it on the new automatic R53

Old 08-13-2012, 10:34 AM
Wilde Maus
2nd Gear
Retro-fit failed - the internal metal structure of the JCW wheel is not the same as the stock wheel from the MCSa, so its not possible (for me anyway) to drill holes so that the paddle shifters can be mounted in the correct place / at the correct angle. Unfortunate really, as the JCW wheel was my favorite mod on my manual R53 and I was looking forward to having it on the new automatic R53
Oh Man. That sucks. I am so sorry.

Old 12-12-2013, 01:19 PM
mr. jim
4th Gear
Hello,
I'm trying to add the paddle shifters to my Countryman Cooper, I have everything I need except one part that was used in the missing paddle kit. I can order it but I need a vin number from one of the vehicles that had this done. I'm asking if anyone with one of those vehicles can either order the part for me, or call my parts guy with the vin so I can get the part or simply let me use their vin.

Thanks in advance guys, please contact PM here or email jimholewka at hotmail dot com

Cheers
Mr. Jim