General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Hello Everyone!!! I need your help buying a 2003 mini.

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 07:59 PM
panchal
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Everyone!!! I need your help buying a 2003 mini.

Hello

I am new to this forum, recently I have been thinking about getting a Mini Cooper and I have budget of 6-7K. I found one locally, but not having any experiencing owning a mini, I need your expert opinion.

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/3225521329.html

- Owner is refusing to drop the price bellow $6700 and there hasn't been any issue with clutch or transmission. tear on the driver seat, sliding sun roof and shifts smooths.

- car currently have about 135K miles on it, will car go up to 200k without spending too much money?

thank you very much for all the help

Attached Thumbnails Hello Everyone!!! I need your help buying a 2003 mini.-mini1.jpeg   Hello Everyone!!! I need your help buying a 2003 mini.-mini2.jpeg  
Old 08-25-2012, 08:05 PM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by panchal
Hello

I am new to this forum, recently I have been thinking about getting a Mini Cooper and I have budget of 6-7K. I found one locally, but not having any experiencing owning a mini, I need your expert opinion.

http://bellingham.craigslist.org/cto/3225521329.html

- Owner is refusing to drop the price bellow $6700 and there hasn't been any issue with clutch or transmission. tear on the driver seat, sliding sun roof and shifts smooths.

- car currently have about 135K miles on it, will car go up to 200k without spending too much money?

The 5 speed is known to have issues...there is a man that has put over 500,000 miles on his 02 (I think) Mini Cooper...and is still on the original almost everything (less brakes and a botched valve job that killed his motor but he got a free replacement)

Old 08-25-2012, 08:29 PM
panchal
Neutral
Thanks for quick reply, how much do you think it will cost to rebuild the transmission?

also is there anything else I should worry about?

Old 08-26-2012, 06:26 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Originally Posted by panchal
Thanks for quick reply, how much do you think it will cost to rebuild the transmission?

also is there anything else I should worry about?
Not sure on the R50...I was hoping an R50 owner would chime in I can tell you everything that went wrong with my R53...but I don't know if any of that would transfer to the R50.

Old 08-26-2012, 11:10 AM
pew1375
3rd Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The best advice anyone can give you is to take the MINI to a good mechanic, with Lots of MINI experience. Not just a generic European auto mechanic. Someone with the experience can look at the common trouble spots. This MINI has high miles, so paying somebody to look it over can save you in the long run! If it has been well maintained, it can be a great buy.
Unfortunately I did not have my '02 MCS inspected before I bought it, and I had no experience at all with MINI. I have spent almost as much in repairs as I did on the purchase. I regret that I didnt do any research, and bought my Bernie impulsively, but I do not regret owning this MINI! No other object has brought me as much joy, and she's become a very important part of my life!
If you find that this MINI is everything you're looking for, I am confident you won't regret it! Just go into MINI ownership knowing that it will be a very rewarding partnership.
Also, if you've seen lots of posts here on NAM that talk about negative issues describing problems with MINI's, don't be discouraged! This forum is a great place to find answers to problems we all run into. Unfortunately, there are lots of negative posts. The reason there aren't more positive, is because when everything is going great, we are too busy motoring and enjoying our beautiful MINI's!
Good Luck, and let us know how it goes!!

Old 08-26-2012, 11:20 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
In addition to the good advice already given... IMO, That is too much for a 10 year old base Cooper with 135k on the odometer. I wouldn't pay a nickel over $6k for it and $5500 even seems fair to me.

Old 08-26-2012, 01:23 PM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Originally Posted by pew1375
The best advice anyone can give you is to take the MINI to a good mechanic, with Lots of MINI experience. Not just a generic European auto mechanic. Someone with the experience can look at the common trouble spots. This MINI has high miles, so paying somebody to look it over can save you in the long run! If it has been well maintained, it can be a great buy.
Unfortunately I did not have my '02 MCS inspected before I bought it, and I had no experience at all with MINI. I have spent almost as much in repairs as I did on the purchase. I regret that I didnt do any research, and bought my Bernie impulsively, but I do not regret owning this MINI! No other object has brought me as much joy, and she's become a very important part of my life!
If you find that this MINI is everything you're looking for, I am confident you won't regret it! Just go into MINI ownership knowing that it will be a very rewarding partnership.
Also, if you've seen lots of posts here on NAM that talk about negative issues describing problems with MINI's, don't be discouraged! This forum is a great place to find answers to problems we all run into. Unfortunately, there are lots of negative posts. The reason there aren't more positive, is because when everything is going great, we are too busy motoring and enjoying our beautiful MINI's!
Good Luck, and let us know how it goes!!
+1

Originally Posted by CR&PW&JB
In addition to the good advice already given... IMO, That is too much for a 10 year old base Cooper with 135k on the odometer. I wouldn't pay a nickel over $6k for it and $5500 even seems fair to me.
I don't know what base Coopers are worth but it did sound a bit steep to me...

Old 08-26-2012, 01:44 PM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Where I live, at this age (10+years), S and base are worth the same. The mileage is what kills value on any MINI, I think. And unlike a lot of Eurotrash, where 200k is considered high, MINIs seem to get old just after 125k. I've got 141k on mine. It's keeping me busy in repairs, but I love it.

Old 08-26-2012, 07:37 PM
KMPSSBL
4th Gear
My husband bought his 2004 R50 from a friend in February. It had 136k on the odometer, but the previous owner took VERY good care of it. We know him very well, and he still makes sure he is happy with it. He now has a JCW to enjoy himself lol.

He sold it to my husband for cheap, $6k. Partially because of the friendship, and partially because of the mileage. My husband says his clutch definitely feels older than mine, even though my car is a year older. Mine only had 98k when I bought it a couple months ago, and is about to hit 105k.

I think if the seller isn't willing to drop the price, then it isn't worth it. But if you think it's worth it, then it probably is I bought my MINI impuslively, knowing it had a few problems. But my husband and I were able to wave them off (not very easily of course lol), and fix them ourselves. We have learned so much from this forum, and fellow MINI owners we autox with, so we always have our resources available. Good luck

Old 08-26-2012, 07:53 PM
czar4
2nd Gear

The car is only worth what the market will pay for it. So unless you're in a hurry, say thanks, make your best offer contingent upon an inspection by a MINI mechanic, and walk away. Chances are you'll find something else or the seller will respond back in a few days or a week. It doesn't sound like this is "the car," so if you lose it, you won't be crushed.

BUT make sure oh know what you're getting into.

Old 08-28-2012, 12:58 PM
panchal
Neutral
Thank you for all your help. After all the research, I am certain that I will buy a mini. now I will just have decide which one. I will keep you guys posted.

thanks
Parth

Old 08-31-2012, 07:45 PM
panchal
Neutral
Just bought 2006 Cooper S

Bought 06 Cooper S, it's got 106K Miles on the clock.
It drives really well, however it does have lot's of rock chips on the hood and front bumper.

Attached Thumbnails Hello Everyone!!! I need your help buying a 2003 mini.-_dsc1733.jpg   Hello Everyone!!! I need your help buying a 2003 mini.-_dsc1734.jpg   Hello Everyone!!! I need your help buying a 2003 mini.-_dsc1736.jpg  
Old 08-31-2012, 08:19 PM
czar4
2nd Gear
^^ very nice! Congratulations!

Old 09-01-2012, 04:19 AM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Yes, very nice!

Old 09-01-2012, 05:36 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Good choice! I've got an 06 R53 as well and also have a large amount of rock chips in the front end...at least these have aluminum "bonnets" so those chips won't cause any rust