General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2002 Manual Transmission weirdness

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-2012, 12:02 PM
kimi1964
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Manual Transmission weirdness

Hi guys - I have tried to search the forums for a similar topic, but I am not sure of all the correct terminology. Please feel free to move this post to a more appropriate place if needed.

First - I've been driving manual transmission since I first starting driving in 1979. So I am not a newbie at a manual transmission.

My problem - 2002 non-S 74K w manual transmission. Starting noticing shifting gears did not seem as tight as usual. That nice little click you get when sifting into gear has started to disappear. (Not sure if this is related to my real issue or not.)

Also, when I park, I park in reverse gear. A couple of times it felt like it wasn't actually in reverse - there's usually a little kick when I put it in reverse, but it wasn't there. When I let up on the clutch pedal a bit, it seemed to move forward. I thought maybe I'd missed the gear so I did it again and just turned the car off.

THIS WEEKEND, I went to put my car in reverse to back out of the driveway and I could not find reverse gear anywhere! Far back right felt like 4th gear, and was definitely moving the car forward. I tried all 6 positions and neutral. Just wasn't there. In addition, the upper far left for 1st gear was not 1st gear - it also felt more like 4th or even 5th. I tried to ride the clutch a bit to see how it felt, and it felt like trying to move a car from a dead stop using 4th gear.

This whole weirdness went on for several minutes. It happened again today while I was driving - I was going from 1st to 2nd gear, and it was like going from 1st to 4th or 5th.

The clutch is not slipping, and the pedal seems to have the same resistance as always. There is nothing blocking the pedal from being pressed all the way. And as I said, the shifter seems looser, or maybe not the actual shifter, but shifting gears is looser. When in gear, the shifter can move around a bit - it didn't do that before. Once you were in a gear, it was a firm click and it held.

Before I go calling a mechanic (there aren't any MINI certified mechanics where I live - Kauai HI), I was hoping someone could explain what is happening or what they think is happening so I can explain it properly to the mechanic I usually use.

MANY THANKS to anyone who can help.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:05 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
http://www.motoringfile.com/mini-r50r53-buyers-guide/

I would have a read right there -- just so you know the non-s transmission (especially the automatics); but also the 5 speed non-s (not getrag) is a known faulty area.

No real recourse -- its quite popular to switch to the 6 speed getrag from a cooper s.

Old 09-25-2012, 12:56 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Double-check the transmission linkage. Everything between the gear-shift **** and the transmission itself. Not sure if a 2002 Justa uses cables or a rod for gear selection, but it's worth finding out and checking those parts.

I know some older cars are notorious for wear on those bits causing weird shifting. I own one that is particularly bad for it, and have owned others where it was somewhat common.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:10 PM
kimi1964
1st Gear
Thanks to both responders!

Khanfucious - I've had the car for 8 years. I knew there was a high fail rate for automatics, but didn't realize the manuals had a high fail rate too.

Slave to Felines - Thanks for the suggestions! Gives me a better idea of how to explain it.

Old 09-25-2012, 01:38 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...-failures.html

Here is the thread I was looking for. The midlands transmission was not the best as inunderstan it

Old 09-27-2012, 05:52 PM
kimi1964
1st Gear
Update - Was a shifter boot clip!

Just in case anyone follows up on this thread - the mechanic looked at the car today and the shifter boot clip was missing completely - I imagine it broke and then fell out. He replaced the clip and capped it off, and everything is great so far! The shifter feels tight and the gears click again (I missed that!), and all gears are accessible.

Old 09-27-2012, 06:54 PM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
Amazing!!! I am glad it was something simple and not costly.

Old 09-27-2012, 07:15 PM
kimi1964
1st Gear
I know!!

Khanfucious - THANKS! I was so worried for the past week that is was something major. But even the mechanic wasn't expecting it to be something so simple either! Maybe I "over-described" it? I had no idea something so inconspicuous could cause so much trouble. These are the things we take for granted I guess.

Now I'm going to drive gently. (AS IF!)