General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

90 octane (ethanol free) vs. 93 octane (with ethanol)

Search this Thread

Old 10-02-2012, 03:16 PM
Miami
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
90 octane (ethanol free) vs. 93 octane (with ethanol)

So I happened upon some 90 octane fuel, which was ethanol free (marine fuel), and decided to go with good 'ol 93 octane (with ethanol) anyway. Wondering if it would have been better to go with the 90.

Which is better and why?

Old 10-02-2012, 04:26 PM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I can't say from experience, but I would imagine the Ethanol free would be hands down better. I loose 3 to 4mpg when they switch to winter fuel where I live. Considering that's about the time I drive with the windows and roof closed all the time (less drag), it could even be more. I probably loose 1 or 2mpg if I were to run 89 (haven't ran 89 consistently enough to get a solid basis). Loss of economy = loss of power.

Edit: I normally run 93 octane, as Sunoco is the only brand of 91 available where I live, and they are few and far between at that.

Last edited by Blackbomber; 10-02-2012 at 04:32 PM.
Old 10-02-2012, 04:37 PM
bmwr606
6th Gear
Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts
i can say from experience ...

i have the option of 91 mobil E0 (ethanol free) or 91 E10, 92 E10 or 93 E10 at various top tier major brand stations

i consistantly get 5-6 better mpg with the 91 E0, across the board, city or highway or mixed city/highway

cold starts are smoother

idle is smoother

scott

Old 10-02-2012, 04:39 PM
Retired Rev
4th Gear
The car only requires 89, so I'd be willing to bet that 90 octane ethanol free would be a very viable alternative. Of course, it would depend on the price. We have a few stations near the marinas that sell ethanol free. It has always improved the performance of my Can Am.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:18 PM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
I'm pretty sure first gen Coopers with the Tritec engine requires 91.
I wish I could get ethanol free fuel during the winter here. I'd be willing to pay quite a bit more. Federal law requires some (cold weather) states to "oxygenate" fuel during the winter. In CT, all fuel contains ethanol between October 1 and April 30. Between that, and snow tires, driving gets really boring.

Old 10-02-2012, 05:24 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
anything without ethanol.

interesting info here.
http://www.forbes.com/sites/larrybel...r-gas-station/

Old 10-02-2012, 05:37 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
93 octane with ethanol will give you a little more power as the engine control unit will advance the spark a bit, but you loose the mileage you'd get with 91 octane, that is ethanol free. It depends whether you want more power or better mileage.

Dave

Old 10-02-2012, 07:07 PM
twocute
2nd Gear
I've used 90 ethanol-free, and 93 w/ethanol in our '08 R55S and mileage is similar, but it runs better on the 93. I had a chance to top up with 93 ethanol free once and it made a big difference in mileage and performance, even though it was just a 1/4 tank. I continue to use the 90 e-free in my Classic Minis, the lawn mower and 2 cycle lawn tools.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:14 PM
calforhelp
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
You guys are all lucky, we have to deal with 91 E10 in CA. There's actually a 76 station right down the road from my work that sells race gas so I might start getting my 91 from my Shell station then stop at 76 and get a couple gallons of 100 to boost the octane up a bit.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackbomber
I'm pretty sure first gen Coopers with the Tritec engine requires 91.
I wish I could get ethanol free fuel during the winter here. I'd be willing to pay quite a bit more. Federal law requires some (cold weather) states to "oxygenate" fuel during the winter. In CT, all fuel contains ethanol between October 1 and April 30. Between that, and snow tires, driving gets really boring.
Driving would be more exciting in the winter if you left your summer tires on

It never gets terribly cold here, and 94 octane without ethanol is available year-round at Chevron. I believe Shell V-Power 91 is ethanol free as well, but I still get 94 at Chevron out of habit.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:39 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Ethanol going to mess with ALL your internal combustion engines and raise the price of beef and pork and anythin with corn to CRAZY levels!!!

Problem is i am a gearhead with vintage toys , 2 strokes . and cars I give a **** about ... also a restaurant consultant ... I am double f*$ked

I say keep the corn for the humans and animals and the dinos for the cars

Old 10-02-2012, 07:41 PM
Porthos
OVERDRIVE
Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts
93 all tank long. I am saying this because I am assuming that it has less than 10% ethanol. The car will run better on 93. Also owners manual states minimum octane level to be 91.

Old 10-02-2012, 07:41 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Originally Posted by COR BLMY
Ethanol going to mess with you internal combustion engines and raise the price of beef and pork and anythin with corn to CRAZY levels!!!

Problem is i am a gearhead with vintage toys , 2 strokes . and cars I give a **** about ... also a restaurant consultant ... I am double f*$ked
As I understand it, corn crops are looking pretty bleak this year, so we can expect to see rising meat prices as a result.

I will try to refrain from preaching about the evils of feeding corn to ruminants, but I will say I get grass-fed beef when I can. It's already expensive

Old 10-02-2012, 07:56 PM
Blackbomber
5th Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
Driving would be more exciting in the winter if you left your summer tires on
That happened during our freak October storm last year. I wound up abandoning the car and walking 5 miles home. As it ended, I was better off on foot. So many huge trees down, power lines, detours, etc. And the next morning, I managed to get my 4WD Dodge Ram 2500 stuck digging my car out.

Old 10-03-2012, 10:35 AM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Blackbomber
That happened during our freak October storm last year. I wound up abandoning the car and walking 5 miles home. As it ended, I was better off on foot. So many huge trees down, power lines, detours, etc. And the next morning, I managed to get my 4WD Dodge Ram 2500 stuck digging my car out.
I remember that storm. Luckily we did not get another one that winter.

I try to get e0 as much as possible as it gives better gas mileage.

Curious, how much is that marine gas with e0?

Old 10-03-2012, 01:38 PM
Miami
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by slinger688

I remember that storm. Luckily we did not get another one that winter.

I try to get e0 as much as possible as it gives better gas mileage.

Curious, how much is that marine gas with e0?
Same as 93 with e10. $4.15

Old 10-03-2012, 01:59 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
I had wondered about the whole ethanol thing for some time and then where I work began to have trouble with much of the (small engine) lawn equipment, so found a source of ethanol free fuel.

The place was close to me - an independent dealer - living close to the water I've plenty of marinas that have it but this was a regular road side station so I started using his 'high test 93 octane' in my 79. By the third fill - I should mention that I usually top off at the 1/2 mark - the car started missing, and having run on on issues that I'd not seen since I tried using mid-grade fuel, 89 octane, versus the 93 I usually get. So I ran the tank down farther than usual and filled with good old Shell high test - with ethanol - and lo .... all run on etc issues were gone.

My conclusion was that the no name dealer of eth' free was a wee bit short on his actual octane. Not noticeable in a weed whacker or even a MINI where the computer will compensate - by detuning -- but in my old 79 .... BIG difference.

So I'm back to using eth' fuels and adding a treatment in the 79 to combat the nasties.

Old 10-03-2012, 04:13 PM
slinger688
6th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by Capt_bj
I had wondered about the whole ethanol thing for some time and then where I work began to have trouble with much of the (small engine) lawn equipment, so found a source of ethanol free fuel.

The place was close to me - an independent dealer - living close to the water I've plenty of marinas that have it but this was a regular road side station so I started using his 'high test 93 octane' in my 79. By the third fill - I should mention that I usually top off at the 1/2 mark - the car started missing, and having run on on issues that I'd not seen since I tried using mid-grade fuel, 89 octane, versus the 93 I usually get. So I ran the tank down farther than usual and filled with good old Shell high test - with ethanol - and lo .... all run on etc issues were gone.

My conclusion was that the no name dealer of eth' free was a wee bit short on his actual octane. Not noticeable in a weed whacker or even a MINI where the computer will compensate - by detuning -- but in my old 79 .... BIG difference.

So I'm back to using eth' fuels and adding a treatment in the 79 to combat the nasties.
I think that is a question of honesty versus whether 90 e0 is better than 93 with e10.

Old 10-03-2012, 05:06 PM
COR BLMY
6th Gear
Originally Posted by dannyhavok
As I understand it, corn crops are looking pretty bleak this year, so we can expect to see rising meat prices as a result.

I will try to refrain from preaching about the evils of feeding corn to ruminants, but I will say I get grass-fed beef when I can. It's already expensive
ALL beef in the US is grass fed ... or lets say all grass fed and most "finished" on corn. corn finishing (or "hotmeal" a mix of mosty corn)
Corn finishing is cheaper, faster and gives the flavor profile USA looks for .
The issue her is that in the US the ethanol producers are mainly looking at corn ... Corn has a market and needs already. using it will change that dynamic.
If the ethonal were to be produced by another crop that doesnt already have a place the balance would be better (look at Brazil with e35 from Sugar Cane) . grow some crappy crop in areas not already farmed and not a bad idea

Old 10-03-2012, 05:13 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
I think that is a question of honesty versus whether 90 e0 is better than 93 with e10.

yes, but do you find any 'national' brand stations selling the e-free? Not around here I don't which is my point - you may be paying for crap. AND a MINI is gonna compensate thru the computer ... at the cost of performance if that matters to you.