General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto-dimming rearview mirrors not so dimming

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 03:18 PM
Jere
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Auto-dimming rearview mirrors not so dimming

Cars behind me at night make me think the factory forgot to put auto dimming rearview mirrors on my new MINI. But there they are on the spec sheet, and yep, I paid for 'em. Then I looked for the photocell mentioned in the owner's manual and, nope, there's no photocell there. So I don't know. One dealer said if the rear view mirror doesn't have the rotating ****, it's auto-dimming. Could be, but the lights behind me sure glare a lot. Maybe it's because the MINI sits so low to the ground that the auto-dimming feature doesn't work so well. Any other thoughts would be appreciated.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:26 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Does it have a setting on the computer? Maybe it's not set correctly. I know I can adjust my wipers to the rain sensitivity I want – but I’m a newbie here too.

Old 10-09-2012, 04:40 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Grap the **** under the mirror and twist clockwise. If it turns you will be set. Just went thru this myself.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:10 PM
Denzien
3rd Gear
^^ is that the power switch?

Old 10-09-2012, 05:20 PM
jkapinos
5th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I have a 2013 and at the bottom of the mirror there is a clear bulb and a sensor in the front of the mirror. I got sick of people behind me with high beams on, so I tried to turn the **** and it moved the mirror just like it would work with a manual mirror.

Old 10-09-2012, 05:25 PM
gregsmini
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Funny you mention this, I had aim my mirrow down on the way home tonight because of the bright glare from lights in the mirrow from the car behind me.

I looked in the owner's manual and it says there are two photocells built into the mirrow, one on the frame and one on the back. It also says to keep the photo cells clean(not sure how they get dirty) and not to affix anything on the windshield behind the mirrow.

I happen to have my EZ pass transponder mounted to the windshield behind the mirrow. So....I guess I need to find a new place for the transponder.

I'm not convinced it will make a difference but I guess I need to find out.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:47 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 123 Likes on 108 Posts
Originally Posted by jkapinos
Grap the **** under the mirror and twist clockwise. If it turns you will be set. Just went thru this myself.
There is no **** on the auto dimming mirror. You have a manual dim mirror.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:16 AM
Jere
1st Gear
rkw is correct -- it is the manual dim that has a ****. I bought the auto dim mirrors ($250 each) on my 2012 S but as far as I can tell they do nothing at all. Someone at Seattle MINI, where I bought the car, suggested the mirrors might be tied into the auto-headlight position 3, but that's where my headlights have been from Day One. So I don't know... I wish now I'd put the money into something else.

Old 10-10-2012, 07:20 AM
Jere
1st Gear
Originally Posted by CA94960
Does it have a setting on the computer? Maybe it's not set correctly. I know I can adjust my wipers to the rain sensitivity I want – but I’m a newbie here too.
I am a newbie too, both to NA Motoring and to MINIs, but it's a question I will bring up to Ralph Schomp MINI in Denver. Unfortunately, the dealer is 70 miles away from where I live, so I can't just drive there every day. I can't find an adjustment in any of the settings mentioned in the owner's manual.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:27 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Jere
I looked for the photocell mentioned in the owner's manual and, nope, there's no photocell there.
There should be a hole in the bottom center below the mirror. Something is wrong if it isn't there.

Dimming is active when the headlights are turned on (whether manual or auto).

Old 10-10-2012, 10:07 AM
Jere
1st Gear
Yup, that's what the owner's manual says (and also pictures it). Only there ain't no photocell that I can see, and certainly no *** (I'm spelling this word wrong because somehow the correct spelling is being replaced by ****) anywhere.

Old 10-10-2012, 05:39 PM
Denzien
3rd Gear
It's probably safe to say that you don't have the Auto-Dimming mirrors installed. I hope the wiring is there...still, the dealership should be able to 'make it right'.

Old 10-10-2012, 08:47 PM
Jere
1st Gear
Not what I was hoping to hear, but you may be right. Still, I think the dealer is going to say if it doesn't have the *** (sic) it is an auto-dimming mirror and it's just my eyes that say it isn't.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:08 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Does your car have a tinted back window?

On our Clubman the back window is tinted so dark that very little light shines through so it doesn't dim the mirror.

Old 10-10-2012, 09:12 PM
Jere
1st Gear
Negative, pure stock S HT. I really think it's because some vehicles have very bright lights and the MINI sits down so low that the auto dimming isn't that effective.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:22 AM
jeffs2
2nd Gear
rkw is correct -- it is the manual dim that has a ****. I bought the auto dim mirrors ($250 each) on my 2012 S but as far as I can tell they do nothing at all. Someone at Seattle MINI, where I bought the car, suggested the mirrors might be tied into the auto-headlight position 3, but that's where my headlights have been from Day One. So I don't know... I wish now I'd put the money into something else.
Wait, are you talking about the rear view, or side view mirrors? I only ask because you mention $250 each, and mirror_s_ and there is only one rear view mirror.

The auto-dimming on the rear view doesn't darken as much as the last auto-dimming mirror I had, but it does darken. Has nothing to do with height though, that car was just as low. I chalked it up to more ambient light hitting the 2nd sensor as the top has usually been down for me. Maybe there is another light hitting your ambient light sensor and tricking the mirror into thinking its day? Wait, its a British car...the most likely issue is they didn't wire your mirror correctly.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:39 AM
Jere
1st Gear
I am reading now off the Vehicle Inquiry Report under Options:

Item 430 - Auto-dimming interior and exterior mirrors - $250
Item 431 - Auto-dimming rearview mirror - $250

I might also point out the following item:

Item 4NA - Interior mirror with compass - $100. This isn't a compass in the true sense of the word; instead, it shows only the cardinal directions: N, S, E, W, NW, etc.

That's a total of $600 for three small mirrors. Not a bad deal if you're the manufacturer.

Can't comment much on English v. American electricity, but I'd guess the veh would have to meet US standards if it is being exported to this country. I just think I either don't have photo cells or, if I do, they don't work very well. Other than that, the car is a real kick.

Old 10-11-2012, 09:57 AM
jeffs2
2nd Gear
Is your issue with the side view or rear view mirror (or both)? I ask because most people seem to be talking about the rear view.

Um, yeah, uk cars need to meet us standards. Let's just say that there tends to be more variability in british cars in my experience. It adds to their character... My last car had leak in the top (not a mini), this one seems to have one button that isn't wired at all and another that works only half the time.

Old 10-11-2012, 10:09 AM
Denzien
3rd Gear
Can't comment much on English v. American electricity, but I'd guess the veh would have to meet US standards if it is being exported to this country. I just think I either don't have photo cells or, if I do, they don't work very well. Other than that, the car is a real kick.
I think it's a Lucas electronics joke

Originally Posted by jeffs2
My last car had leak in the top (not a mini), this one seems to have one button that isn't wired at all and another that works only half the time.
My Dodge does this

Old 10-11-2012, 10:17 AM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
I really think it's because some vehicles have very bright lights and the MINI sits down so low that the auto dimming isn't that effective.
The dimming is fairly dark and the difference is very noticeable. Compare against a handheld mirror or the visor mirror, but I don't expect it to work if it doesn't have a sensor. Do your exterior mirrors dim?

Old 10-11-2012, 10:53 AM
Jere
1st Gear
Originally Posted by jeffs2
Is your issue with the side view or rear view mirror (or both)? I ask because most people seem to be talking about the rear view.

Um, yeah, uk cars need to meet us standards. Let's just say that there tends to be more variability in british cars in my experience. It adds to their character... My last car had leak in the top (not a mini), this one seems to have one button that isn't wired at all and another that works only half the time.
Mainly, the rearview mirror. It catches most, if not all, the light coming from a veh that is a car length or two behind you.

Old 10-13-2012, 07:13 AM
drachen
1st Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
The dimming is fairly dark and the difference is very noticeable. Compare against a handheld mirror or the visor mirror, but I don't expect it to work if it doesn't have a sensor. Do your exterior mirrors dim?
Agreed. The auto dimming mirror on my R56 noticeably darkens and is a joy to have compared to my last car which just had a standard non auto dimming mirror.