General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Auto Transport Question?

Search this Thread

Old 10-16-2012 | 10:13 PM
JMH_Show
|
2nd Gear
Auto Transport Question?

Hello,

I was wondering if anyone has experience transporting their MINI's.
Do you recommend any companies? The transport will be from Nevada to California. (total 900 miles) Most online quotes were $440 (open truck) $850 (closed truck).

Thank you

Old 10-16-2012 | 10:42 PM
DRoc7822
5th Gear
Ive only shipped a vehicle once and used DAS (Dependable Auto Shippers) open truck. But it was alot more expensive than 440 bux. But was also a farther distance than what you need. The only qualms I have with them is anytime I had to call customer service it was at least a 45 min wait. I almost fell asleep one time waiting on them. It also took about a month for them to transport the car to me. Which when I look back thought was kinda strange. I had a lot more patience back when I was younger lol (not that Im old now) but still. I'm guessing they wanted a full truck load in order to send it. Maybe my situation was different but other than that, car was in a great condition and had no problems.

Old 10-17-2012 | 05:14 AM
ATCQL
5th Gear
I have used Horseless Carriage and was impressed with the driver and his concern about your car.

Old 10-17-2012 | 05:51 AM
JMH_Show
|
2nd Gear
Thank you all for the information. Have a great week!

Old 10-17-2012 | 06:50 AM
Klayfish
3rd Gear
I've shipped a whole bunch of cars, both as a buyer and seller. I've used DAS, and they're "OK". Honestly, the best way I've found is uship.com It's kind of like an Ebay style shipping auction. You put on what you need shipped, and shippers bid on it. With competition being what it is, you're bound to get a good price. Also, what I really like is that the shippers have a feedback profile. So you can see what other customers said about them. Helps to make sure you're getting a good shipper. I've had nothing but success with them. In fact, one time the shipper delivered my car to me on Christmas day. Really.

Old 10-17-2012 | 07:00 AM
chrunck
6th Gear
I used Magic Carpet Auto Transport when I moved from L.A. to Ohio a few years ago. I was very pleased with the service.

Old 10-17-2012 | 08:51 AM
Kahnfucious
5th Gear
I did one of those online quoting services -- just googling auto transport -- and those people would not stop calling me for 4 weeks -- like all the different companies so be weary of that, I had to keep ignoring the phone calls.

Have you considered driving the 900 odd miles...I mean they usually quote you 1-2 weeks to get your car back (they need to pick up cars along the way and organize around other peoples cars too) and that the drive would only take 2 days MAX, roadtrips are the best part of having a car in my opinion at least.

900 miles = 3 tanks of gas + 1 hotel room BUT you get lots of fun...the drive from Nevada to Los Angeles isn't very scenic though.

Old 10-17-2012 | 02:39 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
My wife and I shipped two cars from Salt Lake City to Silicon Valley a few months ago. We coordinated the transport with the local <brand redacted> dealer. They used one of the bid-for-quote websites, and dealt with the logistics for us. We wound up paying $800 for both cars in an enclosed trailer. The cars were picked up at our hotel, and were delivered to a store with a large parking lot near our house.

Old 10-17-2012 | 10:17 PM
jaldeborgh@gmail.com
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by chrunck
I used Magic Carpet Auto Transport when I moved from L.A. to Ohio a few years ago. I was very pleased with the service.

I also used Magic Carpet to move my JCW Clubman that I had bought from a NAM member who lives in the LA area to Boston, back in May. Other than needing to be patient the move went fine. I think the price was in the $850 range which seems very reasonable. I used a door to door service which is a little more costly than a depot pick-up and drop-off.

I found them through one of the internet middlemen which resulted in my being bombarded with emails and phone calls for several months.

Old 10-18-2012 | 05:54 AM
JMH_Show
|
2nd Gear
Thank you friends!, for the great info. I was also informed that Intercity Lines, Inc. has great services as well.

Old 10-19-2012 | 06:03 AM
Retired Rev
4th Gear
When moved from Pittsburgh to FL (many years ago) they put my VW Rabbitt right on the moving van with my furniture and stuff. Not sure they can do that anymore?

Old 10-21-2012 | 08:53 PM
Bluebrat
1st Gear
Do you have a trusted friend who could drive for you? About 10 years ago, I drove a friends car (with trailer) from San Diego to Missoula, a two day road trip. I spent a few days kicking around his house and town before flying back home. He paid all expenses (fuel, my food, one night lodging, and air ticket). I got a 5 day sightseeing trip out of it so I did it for free. I think it cost him less than $400 out of pocket for it all. I would do it again. Your transport could be much cheaper and be done in a weekend.

Old 10-21-2012 | 09:12 PM
starman
3rd Gear
Most companies don't have their own trucks and just broker out the work to the best rates from a driver they can find on the route. Obviously the more mileage, the more it costs, though I'm surprised with gas and diesel prices where they are it's not even more than it is. I've found Montway to have the best prices. I've shipped dozens of cars from coast to coast. Other than delays because of truck breakdowns I've never had any issues with damage to my vehicles. I always talk directly to the driver after he is assigned and request top mounts when he is loading. Doesn't hurt to ask and you don't pay more, which you would if you requested it at the time you booked.