General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Which one to buy???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2012, 02:51 PM
Sonny1az
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Which one to buy???

Considering a 2006 John cooper works GP car vs a new JCW model. Will be daily driver, thoughts about getting into some track club stuff. I'm new to mini's. Not new to sports cars. What are these cars like to live with? Any thoughts on the GP car? Is it a deal or is the newer tech in a new JCW better than the older GP horsepower? Welcome some informed opinions...

Old 11-23-2012, 02:57 PM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'd get the GP. I am biased as an R53 owner though.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:33 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Shouldn't be a difficult decision. Hands down GP! 1st gens are way easier to maintain, mod & are more fun to drive & own. 1st gen GP is by far the ultimate MINI.

Old 11-23-2012, 05:54 PM
willieboy
2nd Gear
GP is the right one

Old 11-23-2012, 10:52 PM
Sonny1az
Neutral
3 for 3

That's three for three. 2006 GP. Will look at it again tomorrow. I appreciate the input. Thanks for taking the time... Open to more if anyone wishes to comment or give me their thoughts.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:30 AM
minsanity
6th Gear
Can I vote again? GP! Here's 1 w/ just 11k mi in the Marketplace:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...k-miles&cat=12

Old 11-24-2012, 07:42 AM
submitaweasel
5th Gear
GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP! GP!

Old 11-24-2012, 08:53 AM
Sonny1az
Neutral
Ok. Leaning heavy to the GP, will look at the one near me I hope this weekend. Would I be tarred, feathered, scorned if I was thinking about having the car wrapped to update and personalize the look, thinking I would be protecting the original paint at the same time. Only concern are the graphic/numbers on the roof line, would they be damaged when wrap would be removed? Are the decal type or were they painted on? Thanks for pointing to the one in the market place as well.

Old 11-24-2012, 02:22 PM
Btwyx
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sonny1az
What are these cars like to live with?
I've never driven a GP, so I couldn't comment, the JCW is as livable as any other MINI, just faster. You can order it with the standard suspension, or the sports suspension, both of which are fine for everyday driving (we have the sport suspension). The JCW suspension is a dealer installed option, which I couldn't comment on. I'd assume the GP has the equivalent to the JCW suspension.

I was at the track (Sonoma) yesterday and there was a GP there, he was running times about as fast as I hoped to be be able to go in the JCW (ie about 4 seconds faster than I was). I did notice he didn't have the ridiculously oversize brakes the JCW has, nor the brake ducts. They looked like the standard R56 Cooper-S brakes (but with drilled and slotted rotors), I was having trouble with those brakes on the Cooper-S before we got the JCW.

Old 11-24-2012, 07:28 PM
minsanity
6th Gear
Originally Posted by Sonny1az
Ok. Leaning heavy to the GP, will look at the one near me I hope this weekend. Would I be tarred, feathered, scorned if I was thinking about having the car wrapped to update and personalize the look, thinking I would be protecting the original paint at the same time. Only concern are the graphic/numbers on the roof line, would they be damaged when wrap would be removed? Are the decal type or were they painted on? Thanks for pointing to the one in the market place as well.
I believe those are decals on the roof. If so, you must remove them before wrapping. I'd have a customized replica roof decal set made before removing, take precise location measurements should you decide to remove the wrap later & restore back to stock. Or maybe order a spare set from the dealership. Go GP!

Old 11-24-2012, 07:59 PM
JackMac
6th Gear
Received 310 Likes on 222 Posts
Just wanted to tip in here, since I've had both of these cars in the garage for most of 2012.

The JCW is far better as a daily driver. It is more solid, comfortable, and has useful options not available in the R53 GP such as Xenon and Bluetooth. Plus you get a warranty and maintenance included. And it is actually faster than a GP while getting much better fuel economy.

However, the GP is far more rewarding to drive, gives great feedback, and will put a smile on your face every time you get behind the wheel.

So, it depends on what is important to you. If you can live without modern conveniences and don't need the passenger space, then the GP is a blast. The GP will also hold value better, so there is an economical advantage too.