General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I could be possibly getting hosed....

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2012 | 07:37 PM
Mr_Bueno
|
3rd Gear
I could be possibly getting hosed....

So I went through the complete order and I'm supposed to take delivery of my CMS ALL4 this week.

They went through everything and I thought the monthly payment came out high.... Higher than what I worked up at home. Turns out, they are quoting me 2500 dollars for the extended maintenance... NOT EXTENDED WARRANTY... EXTENDED MAINTENANCE.

I told them that it's 1895 online and has not changed and my MA said that the 2500 was the quote for the ALL4.

Anyone else heard of this? The only think I can imagine is that they have had so many clutch complaints, that they are jacking the price up because the clutch is covered under that... He said I could haggle with the finance person, but I'm just going in and raising hell. I'm done with the whole "catch more flies with honey than vinegar" bit... That hasn't gotten me the service and treatment so far that I feel I deserve being that this is the 4th car I've bought from the dealer in the last 10 years and the 2nd MINI...

That's 600 dollars more! Why the massive increase?!?!? Has anyone else had this quoted to them for EM?

Old 12-16-2012 | 08:03 PM
Scooter09
4th Gear
This is the print out of the maintenance plans from my dealership that they gave me while I was working on my financing.

Attached Thumbnails I could be possibly getting hosed....-image-3746304029.jpg  
Old 12-16-2012 | 08:14 PM
keal
1st Gear
I got the same printout as Scooter09 when I finalized my MINI during Thanksgiving week. I didn't get any sort of runaround with my MA which I dealt with over the phone. When I signed papers at the local BMW dealership on pickup day, I sat down with a man who I never dealt with before, he tried to sell me a few extra things such as window tinting, interior/exterior sealant protection, etc... but when I said I wasn't interested in those, he was very nice and didn't bother pushing the sales. I would hope all MINI owners get the same kind of experience, considering we're mostly paying some premium prices for the warranty plans and such.

Good luck with your pickup, Mr Bueno! Hopefully everything gets squared away nicely for you. I'll cross my fingers.

Old 12-16-2012 | 08:33 PM
Finner
3rd Gear
What is the advantage of spending $2 Grand for extended maintenance? You reference clutch. Wouldn't that need the extended warranty to be covered? Isn't the most major "maintenance item" brakes?
Personally, the extended coverage for both maintenance and warranty seem like expensive insurance. If I put on alot of mileage I might consider the extended warranty just because transmission or engine problems could add up to be quite expensive. I think you can add either the warranty or maintenence down the road, so you really don't need to decide at time of purchase unless you need the cost added in and financed at the time of purchase.

Old 12-16-2012 | 10:20 PM
MotorWorf
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Mr_Bueno
...Has anyone else had this quoted to them for EM?
Kudos, as I have not seen anyone publish objective data on these issues anywhere. This will give a chance to mull the info in my mind before I'm caught off-guard in front of the Finance Wizard.

I'll let you know after I've pondered on the issues...

Last edited by MotorWorf; 12-20-2012 at 03:09 PM.
Old 12-17-2012 | 01:52 AM
Traprock
2nd Gear
The maintenance package is worth it for the clutch, timing belt and brakes if you plan to run it to 100K. Also I think there are coolant and power steering flushes too. If you use it for all the scheduled maintenance I think it pays for itself, especially at the dealer labor rate.

Old 12-17-2012 | 05:06 AM
mini4mo
3rd Gear
So I went through the complete order and I'm supposed to take delivery of my CMS ALL4 this week.

They went through everything and I thought the monthly payment came out high.... Higher than what I worked up at home. Turns out, they are quoting me 2500 dollars for the extended maintenance... NOT EXTENDED WARRANTY... EXTENDED MAINTENANCE.

I told them that it's 1895 online and has not changed and my MA said that the 2500 was the quote for the ALL4.
With all the new cars I have bought,I have sat in front of the finance person signing papers and either accepting or declining the extras with the prices printed .

Did the dealer change the paper work on you?
Did you sign anything?

Old 12-17-2012 | 09:11 AM
Mr_Bueno
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by mini4mo
With all the new cars I have bought,I have sat in front of the finance person signing papers and either accepting or declining the extras with the prices printed .

Did the dealer change the paper work on you?
Did you sign anything?

Didn't sign anything at all yet... I even had them waive the 500 down to order the car...

Old 12-17-2012 | 09:13 AM
Mr_Bueno
|
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Finner
What is the advantage of spending $2 Grand for extended maintenance? You reference clutch. Wouldn't that need the extended warranty to be covered? Isn't the most major "maintenance item" brakes?
Personally, the extended coverage for both maintenance and warranty seem like expensive insurance. If I put on alot of mileage I might consider the extended warranty just because transmission or engine problems could add up to be quite expensive. I think you can add either the warranty or maintenence down the road, so you really don't need to decide at time of purchase unless you need the cost added in and financed at the time of purchase.

Clutch is only covered under the maintenance... That and the brakes alone are woth the 1895 to me... Not to mention the scheduled service done by MINI.

And while I don't plan on putting a ton of miles on the car, it's a MINI... I put 22,000 on my 09 MCS Hatch in the first year... Too much fun to drive.

Old 12-17-2012 | 09:19 AM
12 JCW
2nd Gear
Didn't sign anything at all yet... I even had them waive the 500 down to order the car...
Even with no Entended Maintenance, no Extended Warranty,and no Dealer Financing my total came out too high. I penned and inked my raw numbers -VS- theirs on the paperwork and their paperwork had an $1100 dollar difference too much in their total. Also, if there is a better price on MINI's website for anything, bring that to closing; and Always Always Always manually add your numbers. Just like measure twice, cut once....Add twice, pay once.

Old 12-20-2012 | 10:37 PM
pillagethesound
2nd Gear
Whether you are right or the dealer is, it makes sense for the ALL4 to be pricier than the FWD because the all wheel drive system as more to wear out and more expensive bits to replace. A transfer case in itself cost a gew grand in a bmw. Is it possible the price you saw online was simple for the FWD model?

Old 12-21-2012 | 04:22 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Originally Posted by pillagethesound
Whether you are right or the dealer is, it makes sense for the ALL4 to be pricier than the FWD because the all wheel drive system as more to wear out and more expensive bits to replace. A transfer case in itself cost a gew grand in a bmw. Is it possible the price you saw online was simple for the FWD model?
Maintenance will not change the cost of an ALL4 because the components are all the same. Unless it is in the maint. schedule to change the transfer case fluid (doubt it), then that would be the only thing different, but otherwise it is the same from a maintenance stand point.

Old 12-23-2012 | 12:21 AM
Mr_Bueno
|
3rd Gear
well, I got my car on the 19th, and they honored the price on the configurator. The finance guy did call the sales manager and I heard him say that it was because I was a " MINI repeat buyer"?....

I doubt the validity of that being the reason why they honored the 1895 price.