General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Craven oil dip stick

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2013 | 10:31 AM
area49
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by yetti96
I would be willing to bet the tech didn't even look at the dip stick. They drain the oil, put plug back in (new washer hopefully), move overflow reservoir over and change filter, grab shop oil hose and it pumps out exactly 4.4qts and then they are done. Send the car to wash and call customer to come get their car.
Most likely,
But they're suppose to note oil level before changing,
(in case some warranty issue, they can say you were running with inadequate oil level, etc).

Old 05-10-2013 | 10:52 PM
6thGear
4th Gear
Those with a Craven dipstick, where should the oil level be since there is no "full" mark? How many notches up?

Old 05-11-2013 | 12:37 AM
SoundMessage
3rd Gear
Top notch is full, isn't it?

Old 05-11-2013 | 05:46 AM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Top notch is full.

Old 05-11-2013 | 06:08 AM
RoyalCooper
3rd Gear
If you're reading this thread and want a discount on the price thru the end of May check this out:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ml#post3735737

P.S. They've already reached the 10 sold mark

Old 05-11-2013 | 05:26 PM
afadeev
6th Gear
Originally Posted by CA94960
I love mine - but I always check my oil about five minutes after shutting my engine off and the Craven's dipstick can be very hot. I keep a pair of leather work gloves just for checking the oil so I don't burn my hands. This may seem unnecessary until you check your oil with your Craven's dipstick barehanded.
Really?
You are checking your oil after shutting engine off EVERY TIME?
Why? Are you burning that much of it to have to add a quart after every other drive?

I maybe check my oil once per season change. That's probably too frequent.
The level barely budges between the oil changes every ~7K miles or once per year.

a

Old 05-11-2013 | 06:46 PM
CA94960
4th Gear
Originally Posted by afadeev
Really?
Why? Are you burning that much of it to have to add a quart after every other drive?

The level barely budges between the oil changes every ~7K miles or once per year.

a
I check the oil once a week - but I always check it about five minutes after shuting the engine off - that way it's a consistent reading. My wife drives the car to work four days a week and has a very short commute that concerns me, so I like to check it frequently. And it only takes a minute to be safe.

Old 05-11-2013 | 06:50 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Really?

a
The concern, afadeev, would be that if a leak or problem develops, you may not catch it early. There's burning of oil, and then there's leaking of oil. Checking the oil is about catching problems early, and some problems develop quicker than others.

Old 05-12-2013 | 07:43 AM
byron h
3rd Gear
Really?

a
I will add, as others have already stated, some MINI's do burn or lose oil at a very high rate. Many MINI owners have had major mechanical problems caused by not checking their oil level. My Justa does not use any measureable amount of oil between my twice a year oil changes. I check my oil weekly for any change in oil consumption to detect problems. I do the same with coolant level. My oil consumption has never changed, but my coolant level dropped very rapidly once. I found a small leak in one of the hoses. This leak was not big enough to leave spots on the garage floor so I would not have been aware of it until I got a coolant temperature warning. Finding this problem before the coolant level got too low, prevented the engine from overheating. Checking the oil level regularly could detect problems like the oil wicking problem some 2011+ MINI's have. Checking the fluid levels once a week should be so quick and easy, why not do it?

Morris, 2011 MC, PW/B

Old 05-12-2013 | 10:02 AM
mattkosem
5th Gear
I have a Craven dipstick and find that, when pulling it out, it seems to catch on something shortly after I start to pull, and I have to twist or jiggle it slightly to move it past whatever's interfering. Does anyone else see this with theirs? I've been wondering, since I got it, if something is amiss with it. Most pics seem to show the end tip sticking straight out, but mine seems to have a very slight angle to it.

--Matt

Old 05-12-2013 | 11:34 AM
CA94960
4th Gear
Originally Posted by mattkosem
I have a Craven dipstick and find that, when pulling it out, it seems to catch on something shortly after I start to pull, and I have to twist or jiggle it slightly to move it past whatever's interfering. Does anyone else see this with theirs? I've been wondering, since I got it, if something is amiss with it. Most pics seem to show the end tip sticking straight out, but mine seems to have a very slight angle to it.

--Matt
Mine slips in and out effortlessly - doesn't snag at all. Maybe yours got bent somehow?

Old 05-12-2013 | 12:09 PM
JoanieB
5th Gear
Mine doesn't catch on anything either. Try bending it slightly to get it straight? But it seems like it would be catching on the edge of the channel, not anything to do with the stick part.

As to checking oil levels, it always makes me wonder when someone comes on here and talks about having had their oil checked/changed thousands of miles ago, and suddenly finds (after a problem) that their oil level was not measureable. To go thousands of miles without looking at your oil level is taking a big gamble with these cars. Frankly, with ANY car. Check fluids every week or two, or when you fill your tank, or every five hundred miles, or whatever interval works for you, but do check them regularly. Don't be the one who has to admit that their oil went dry and they didn't know it, or who gets that awful feeling in the pit of their stomach when the have to have their car towed and the damage is due to low oil. It's such a simple step to prevent such major problems.

Old 05-21-2013 | 05:57 PM
mattkosem
5th Gear
Mine definitely doesn't look straight and definitely catches if inserted in some positions. I wonder if craven would replace it.

--Matt

Attached Thumbnails Craven oil dip stick-dsc_0011-1-.jpg   Craven oil dip stick-dsc_0012-1-.jpg  
Old 05-22-2013 | 11:53 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Of course they will replace it! Just send me a PM.

Old 10-27-2013 | 04:24 PM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by 6thGear
Those with a Craven dipstick, where should the oil level be since there is no "full" mark? How many notches up?
Originally Posted by SoundMessage
Top notch is full, isn't it?
Originally Posted by JoanieB
Top notch is full.
thank you - this is why i came into this thread lol

Old 10-28-2013 | 09:11 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Originally Posted by kyoo
thank you - this is why i came into this thread lol
Their ad said each notch is about 1qt, but I'm seeing 10 notches on the dipstick - top notch = full though?

Old 10-28-2013 | 09:26 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
If they had another discount I'd buy one.

Old 10-28-2013 | 11:34 AM
CravenSpeed
Vendor
Their ad said each notch is about 1qt, but I'm seeing 10 notches on the dipstick - top notch = full though?
Sorry if there is some confusion. The whole thing is 1 qt, not each notch. The lowest groove indicates you need to add approx. 1 quart of oil, the middle point indicates about 1/2 quart of oil, and the top groove means your oil is full.

-=Kellen

Old 10-28-2013 | 11:53 AM
spiney
6th Gear
Originally Posted by rckrzy1
If they had another discount I'd buy one.
Me too...

Old 10-28-2013 | 12:02 PM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Originally Posted by spiney
Me too...
another option I'm considering is to order a factory one for about $28 and grinding it flat , removing the wide parts that grab oil . But a group buy
would be nice.

Old 11-03-2013 | 07:52 AM
howzuh
3rd Gear
Just got my craven speed dipstick. Well worth the cash. No problem reading it. Peace of mind was worth the money.

Old 11-03-2013 | 09:47 AM
kyoo
6th Gear
Using mine as well, for a brand new 2013 Mini with 100 miles. Full corresponds to top notch for craven confirmed. Falls in laughably easy. The handle does get very hot though, disappointing, as it seems like it would be an easy fix. I'll probably have to plastidip the handle over and over until it can be touchable. Though, I don't really check it when it's hot,

Old 11-03-2013 | 09:56 AM
rckrzy1
6th Gear
Using mine as well, for a brand new 2013 Mini with 100 miles. Full corresponds to top notch for craven confirmed. Falls in laughably easy. The handle does get very hot though, disappointing, as it seems like it would be an easy fix. I'll probably have to plastidip the handle over and over until it can be touchable. Though, I don't really check it when it's hot,
that would suck on a long trip , guess if no GP in the future I'm going to get a factory stick and grind the oil grabbing bumps off and put some notches like I saw someone do.

Old 11-03-2013 | 10:58 AM
howzuh
3rd Gear
Craven speed instructions on the box say to check when cold using their dipstick. If you follow their directions for their dipstick the hot handle is a irrelevant.

Old 11-03-2013 | 02:35 PM
LarriB
3rd Gear
I didn't realize that the Cravenspeed was read cold. I've misplaced mine in the garage somewhere (I switched out for the original when I took the car in for service). Does anyone know what a full oil should read on the original dipstick when cold? I've been figuring about a 1/4" down. It's much easier for me to Remember to check my oil once a week in my flat garage before I leave than waiting for five minutes after I come home.

Quick Reply: Craven oil dip stick