General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Suggestions on camber settings; ranges?

Search this Thread

Old 02-19-2013, 04:47 PM
vanguard
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Suggestions on camber settings; ranges?

I'm looking to dial in the camber settings for my R53. The front wheels are fixed at -1.3 of camber. Yesterday I added adjustable rear lower control arms and have them set at -1. Are these good settings? Is it possible to adjust the toe on the mini's? The rear seems to have a toe in, to what degree I have no idea.

The car will see light autocross duty, at most one event a month. I have a MCS JCW on 17" wheels, 205 width, at factory height (not sure why anyone would want to lower it, the car hardly rolls).

Old 02-19-2013, 10:53 PM
cmt52663
6th Gear
Received 314 Likes on 237 Posts
Click.

Cheers,

Charlie

Ps: Using Google, and adding "site:northamericanmotoring.com" works pretty well for me.

Old 02-20-2013, 06:52 AM
cristo
Alliance Member
Received 210 Likes on 173 Posts
Originally Posted by vanguard
I'm looking to dial in the camber settings for my R53. The front wheels are fixed at -1.3 of camber. Yesterday I added adjustable rear lower control arms and have them set at -1. Are these good settings? Is it possible to adjust the toe on the mini's? The rear seems to have a toe in, to what degree I have no idea.

The car will see light autocross duty, at most one event a month. I have a MCS JCW on 17" wheels, 205 width, at factory height (not sure why anyone would want to lower it, the car hardly rolls).
If you have lower and upper control arms, you can use both to adjust toe.
Lengthen both to increase toe-in, shorten both to reduce toe in increase toe-out.

You can also adjust toe-in by loosening the three bolts that hold the trailing arm
to the body and shifting it then retightening. BMW makes a special tool,
an eccentric socket, to make it easier to dial in the right setting, otherwise,
it's a little hit and miss until you get in spot on (tool not necessary, but helpful).

Old 02-20-2013, 08:08 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Of course more front negative camber would be good but since you state front camber is fixed, I guess that means you are using fixed camber plates with no adjustment available.

With -1.3 in front, -1.0 in rear would be OK or you could even go with a little less rear camber to help the rear rotate. You can also play with tire air presssure.

Toe is adjustable front and rear. As Cristo stated rear toe adjustment is a little trial and error without special BMW tool. Some alignment shops do not like to adjust the rear toe because it takes time.

I would adjust both front and rear toe near zero. I run a little toe out in the front and zero toe in the rear.

I have JCW springs/shocks, 19mm rear bar, and adjustable front camber plates. I have -2.0 front and -1.5 rear camber. I would like less rear camber but only have the stock adjustable rear lower control arms, so not much adjustment available.