General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Converting rear fogs to brake light

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2013, 09:07 AM
capt fred
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Converting rear fogs to brake light

I have been searching for a thread on how to convert and wire the unused rear fogs on my 2011 MCS to work as addition brake lights. Can anybody help with this?

Old 04-30-2013, 09:20 AM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I'm confused. Do you have rear fogs installed that you don't currently use or do you plan to install the fogs and then wire them as braked lights? Either way, all you need to do is pull one of the tail lights so you can access the wiring and wire your fogs to the brake light (and ground). I don't remember what color the brake light wire is but it shouldn't be hard to figure out.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:36 AM
Psquared
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ammodave
I'm confused. Do you have rear fogs installed that you don't currently use or do you plan to install the fogs and then wire them as braked lights? Either way, all you need to do is pull one of the tail lights so you can access the wiring and wire your fogs to the brake light (and ground). I don't remember what color the brake light wire is but it shouldn't be hard to figure out.
I believe his 2011 is like my 2012. I have the rear foglights, but no switches or wiring. I've thought of doing the same thing to mine.

Old 04-30-2013, 09:37 AM
Fastlane
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
I did this a few months back. My car does not have the rear fog option, but I purchased the two lights online and popped them in mainly to make the back look more finished.

As mentioned above, you can tie the wiring in to the passenger tail light, but then the two fog lights will function as tail and brake lights....which I did not want. I only wanted them as brakes. Having already wired up a tail light converter for my trailers, I have a lead that is fed off of the third brake light above the boot lid. I used this lead along with a relay to switch the two fog lights to come on only when the brake pedal is depressed. If you want them to function as tail and brake lights, it's much easier and I believe you can even buy a pre-made kit to make the wiring easier.

Depending on which year car you have, some of the cars came pre-wired with plugs taped up under the rear bumper cover that snap right into the two rear fogs. My '08 was that way, but I have read that perhaps the later cars may not have come pre-wired. If the wires are there, they lead up to the passenger side rear compartment behind the tail light and enter the car there....you can trace the power lead there and tap into it to power the fogs. I can't recall the wire color. If this is the case, you will not need to bother finding a ground for the lights as there is already one provided to the plug.

Hope that helps and doesn't confuse you. : ) Good luck!

Old 04-30-2013, 10:58 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
People have been doing this for years....on the gen1 cars...not sure how it is done on a gen2 car, but here is the info....
Here is the issue...
If you do the "paperclip" method (paperclip is jused as a jumper between sockets), no resistor, then power goes BACK UP THE WIRING to the BCM...that combined with the extra load of the extra bulbs, and after a couple years, folks often needed new bcm's....
My suggestion...
If you want this mod done, use led's for the extra bulbs...less load...you do not need/want a bulb with a resistor here.
Next change the wiring on the harness to disconnect the + cable from the fog socket to prevent the power from frying your bcm...a big $$$ item.
On a gen2, not sure if you will get a bulb out warning, etc....