General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking a new Clubman, could use some advice/help...

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 12:45 AM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking a new Clubman, could use some advice/help...

So long story short I'm getting a new Clubman since mine was recently in an accident. The insurance company is covering a brand new same make/model. So that's great and I loved my Clubman so I'd be very happy with a new one. Thing is I want it to be somewhat specific. It's not really too different looking as I like mine to look a bit more traditional, but still being a Mini it's really tough to find one out there with the options I want. I'd love to start from scratch, but I'm without a vehicle at this point and I don't know how long my parents will lend me a car (my Dad is retired so it's not a big deal, but still I hate to hold him back). I haven't gone to the dealer yet, but via AutoTrader I found one very close to what I'm looking for. So a few things:

1 If I go from scratch, how long would it take to build and then get it over here? I'm sure this varies, but any ideas how it's been lately?

2 The one I found is not at my local dealer. I know they can go through the dealer that has it and get it for me, but will this have a big affect on negotiations?

3 The one that is similar to the build I would do have Sport suspension. How much stiffer will the ride be? It'll be an S and my last Clubman was an S, but it didn't have Sport suspension. My last car was fine after I ditched the fun flats and I had 16" rims.

4 It comes with black rims which I do NOT want. I want the exact same rims in plain old alloy silver, the conical spokes. So what are my chances of the dealer swapping them out?

5 It also has black headlight domes. Those aren't so bad, but I'd prefer the plain old "clear" domes. Would these be tough to replace? I assume not and I don't think the part would be expensive.

6 It has heated seats, but not the Cold Weather package. Can I still get the washer jets to be heated? How much do you think this would set me back?

7 Say I go the build it from scratch route, and I know this sounds crazy, but any idea if the dealer would do a month/two month lease? I assume not, but anyone ever heard of this?

Old 05-15-2013, 05:02 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by BLAUGRANA
So long story short I'm getting a new Clubman since mine was recently in an accident. The insurance company is covering a brand new same make/model. So that's great and I loved my Clubman so I'd be very happy with a new one. Thing is I want it to be somewhat specific. It's not really too different looking as I like mine to look a bit more traditional, but still being a Mini it's really tough to find one out there with the options I want. I'd love to start from scratch, but I'm without a vehicle at this point and I don't know how long my parents will lend me a car (my Dad is retired so it's not a big deal, but still I hate to hold him back). I haven't gone to the dealer yet, but via AutoTrader I found one very close to what I'm looking for. So a few things:

1 If I go from scratch, how long would it take to build and then get it over here? I'm sure this varies, but any ideas how it's been lately?

2 The one I found is not at my local dealer. I know they can go through the dealer that has it and get it for me, but will this have a big affect on negotiations?

3 The one that is similar to the build I would do have Sport suspension. How much stiffer will the ride be? It'll be an S and my last Clubman was an S, but it didn't have Sport suspension. My last car was fine after I ditched the fun flats and I had 16" rims.

4 It comes with black rims which I do NOT want. I want the exact same rims in plain old alloy silver, the conical spokes. So what are my chances of the dealer swapping them out?

5 It also has black headlight domes. Those aren't so bad, but I'd prefer the plain old "clear" domes. Would these be tough to replace? I assume not and I don't think the part would be expensive.

6 It has heated seats, but not the Cold Weather package. Can I still get the washer jets to be heated? How much do you think this would set me back?

7 Say I go the build it from scratch route, and I know this sounds crazy, but any idea if the dealer would do a month/two month lease? I assume not, but anyone ever heard of this?
Bummer on the accident but cool you are getting another MINI.

1. About 4-6 weeks

2. Dealer can and will swap, but it all depends on the dealer.

3. It will be stiffer and a bit rougher. If you thought the 16s were ok with runflats, then you can probably deal with it. What size wheels does this car come with, 17s?

4. It depends on the dealer, they probably will swap if they have them available, but it's their call.

5. Black headlight housings are usually more sought after, you could swap with another member here no problem and they might even kick in a few bucks...at least pay for shipping. (I know I would).

6. Doubt it, is it that much better? I don't know if it would be worth trying to retrofit.

7. Not a lease but they might put you in a loaner (or a few of them) for some of the time.

Again, most of these wants all come down to the dealer and their willingness to work with you. If they have to swap cars with another dealer and then trade out wheels and maybe even headlights (doubt the dealer would) then they may not work a ton for you on price. But if you order the car you want, then the swapping wont need to be done and then they might be able to help you out with a loaner for a bit.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:10 AM
ignitionmodule
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I had a similar issue with my clubman, I had waited to long to order a JCW. I found mine by using Google, took the build sheet to my local dealer and told them what I wanted. The car was in FL and I was in SC. Originally, part of the discussion was "charges for shipping." I ended up telling them I would buy the car if they ate the shipping charges, which they did.

Old 05-15-2013, 06:33 AM
sujithj87
1st Gear
I would more than happy to trade my headlights for the blacked out one! How I wish my car has black wheels and blacked out headlights.

Old 05-20-2013, 12:08 AM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
This may be a stupid question, but I just want to be clear. I think I read this the other day, something about how if you get the Xenons the powerwash for them automatically comes with them. Right? Or do you need to select that option to ensure it actually gets on the vehicle?

Old 05-20-2013, 04:51 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Originally Posted by BLAUGRANA
This may be a stupid question, but I just want to be clear. I think I read this the other day, something about how if you get the Xenons the powerwash for them automatically comes with them. Right? Or do you need to select that option to ensure it actually gets on the vehicle?
In the US, the powerwash headlight nozzles are an additional $100 option I believe.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:15 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
If it were me, I'd order exactly what I wanted and wait for it. Nothing is worse than settling for something and then regretting it...

It can take up to 8 weeks to order, build and ship a car. Depending on production schedules, and allocation quotas. You are getting to the point where they will be changing over to 2014 cars...

I would avoid the sports suspension. For what you get, it just isn't as good as aftermarket stuff.

Anything and everything is negotiable. You can do anything, if you throw enough money at it. But like I said up top, it's easier to just order what you want, and not have regrets

Old 05-20-2013, 08:13 PM
Scott549
2nd Gear
Hope this isn't derailing the thread, but I am considering ordering a Clubman in the next 60 days or so. Any opinions on what discount I might expect to get? There are about six dealers within a reasonable radius of where I live, and I could order from any of them, giving some preference to my local dealer.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:30 AM
richardsperry
6th Gear
I wouldn't expect much at all. Unless you take one off the lot, dealers have almost no incentive to deal when you order a car.

You can check the MINI USA web site and see if there is anything nationally.

Old 05-21-2013, 03:55 AM
Scott549
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry
I wouldn't expect much at all. Unless you take one off the lot, dealers have almost no incentive to deal when you order a car.

Can you search nationally for inventory on the site? If so, I have not figured out how.

Old 05-22-2013, 10:24 PM
BLAUGRANA
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Scott549
Hope this isn't derailing the thread, but I am considering ordering a Clubman in the next 60 days or so. Any opinions on what discount I might expect to get? There are about six dealers within a reasonable radius of where I live, and I could order from any of them, giving some preference to my local dealer.
Tough to say. My first Clubman, may he rest in peace, was one I took off the lot. I got 6% off after the manager told me they only make 6% on the cars. I was told here at NAM that 5-8% would be good. That was 2009.

My latest is an order. It was very fast and I didn't go to the other dealers in the State because I'm in a bit of a hurry. I have my Dad's car and the sooner I get the show on the road the better. Anyway, I was able to get 4% off this time, and that was in a very short period of time. My insurance company is covering pretty much everything bar the few upgrades I've made to this Clubman (anthracite headliner, chrome line interior, 17" spoke rims, xenons) so I'm fine with not getting more off. Were the circumstances different I would have checked in with all dealers in the State. Then were I buying it without the insurance company footing the bill I'd go the used route and found a great looking deal. Anyway, while Mini may not negotiate much, you should be able to get something.

Originally Posted by Scott549
Can you search nationally for inventory on the site? If so, I have not figured out how.
Dont' think so. You can check each individual dealer's inventory on your own. Took me 30 minutes to cover the entire east coast. Of course your dealer can do it for you too. Also, I tried Auto Trader's search and it seemed to be well up to date.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:12 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Originally Posted by richardsperry

Not sure about this..

I ordered my CMS, added a _lot_ of goodies.. price bloated to well over 33K.

I was able to get $1500 off the "as ordered price".. without really fighting. IMHO, pretty good considering the car has $2000 of markup. $500 for a 100% custom ordered car was worth it. (And my friend who is a tech at the dealer for a $100 spiff for bringing me in..).

I *did* see cars marked down 2K (and no lower) as part of the spring cleaning event. THOSE cars had been sitting in the showroom/lot for at least 6-9mos.