General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boost gone after an oil change???

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 07:53 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Keep us posted.

Old 05-20-2013, 08:04 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Will do Braminator.

Old 05-21-2013, 06:16 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear
Thank god my Service Consultant was willing to hear out my concerns about my engine and have agreed to take my MINI in to service tomorrow morning. He stated that they shall "take some oil out" to get the oil at the proper level, which they should have done to begin with. <--He said that. At least we were on the same page there. Hopefully this is a good omen!

Also, I have installed the ScangaugeII and currently monitoring:
1.) Boost
2.) Volt
3.) Water Temp
4.) Intake Air Temp

I am in the process of researching if the built-in X-gauge will be able to display oil pressure and/or oil temp. So far I am very satisfied how simple it was to install (used the Velcro it came with) and the GUI is fairly intuitive. Now I see why all of you recommended this product. Thank you!
Photos to follow!

Old 05-21-2013, 06:19 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
That's good to hear.

As for the scangauge. It will show oil temps, but has to be sent to scangauge for reprogramming to do so. They do it for free ( you pay for shipping to them)..

Old 05-21-2013, 06:20 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by gezz81
Thank god my Service Consultant was willing to hear out my concerns about my engine and have agreed to take my MINI in to service tomorrow morning. He stated that they shall "take some oil out" to get the oil at the proper level, which they should have done to begin with. <--He said that. At least we were on the same page there. Hopefully this is a good omen!

Also, I have installed the ScangaugeII and currently monitoring:
1.) Boost
2.) Volt
3.) Water Temp
4.) Intake Air Temp

I am in the process of researching if the built-in X-gauge will be able to display oil pressure and/or oil temp. So far I am very satisfied how simple it was to install (used the Velcro it came with) and the GUI is fairly intuitive. Now I see why all of you recommended this product. Thank you!
Photos to follow!
On my ScanGauge I monitor the same things. Keep us posted. Good luck.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:19 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear
danjreed: Good to know that programing the oil temp is possible! Thanks for the info.

Braminator: "Great minds..."

Also, seems that Scangauge is looking for people willing to test out experimental X-Gauge codes on 2008+ Cooper, Cooper S, or Clubman. I am intrigued to see what else this device can offer.

What does my more experienced NAM community think? Any risk to my vehicle ECU if I opt in to this experiment?

Old 05-21-2013, 07:23 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
danjreed: Good to know that programing the oil temp is possible! Thanks for the info.

Braminator: "Great minds..."

Also, seems that Scangauge is looking for people willing to test out experimental X-Gauge codes on 2008+ Cooper, Cooper S, or Clubman. I am intrigued to see what else this device can offer.

What does my more experienced NAM community think? Any risk to my vehicle ECU if I opt in to this experiment?
LOL. Zero risk. All they want is for you to try it.

Old 05-21-2013, 07:32 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear
^Thanks Braminator! I emailed them already. Let's see what they come up with. As always, I shall keep my NAM community posted!

Old 05-21-2013, 07:34 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
^Thanks Braminator! I emailed them already. Let's see what they come up with. As always, I shall keep my NAM community posted!
Good luck again.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:40 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear
Got my MINI back from the service center during my lunch break today. My lovely girlfriend gave me the ride back as she knew how furious I was that they were late the previous time. My invoice states they drained 0.5 quarts from the engine. Checked the dipstick and seems to finally be at the proper level! Warmed him up before heading onto the parkway and got back to work with no performance issues (besides the damned traffic)! Scangauge reports that boost definitely engages. I am a happy camper.

I did learn something today. I inquired why they do not show me the dipstick and its oil level before returning the vehicle to me... the reply was that it was not in their policy to do so because BMW's do not have dipsticks. If that is the case, then how do Beemer owners keep track of their oil levels? Just curious.

Also, I inquired if overfilling the oil was done purposefully? The Service Consultant (not my guy -- he was on lunch at the time of pick up) asked, "Is it an S with the turbo?" I replied with yes it has a turbo. He states, "Oh yeah, that is most likely why they overfilled it a little. Those cars need more oil cause of the Turbo. Not like the supercharged ones." I could not believe he just said that. I stated that it takes 4.4 quarts of oil as per the MINI owner's manual. It's up to the owner to check his/her own oil level and top off when necessary.
Said nothing to him until the car was brought to the front door... signed the paper work and left.

I wonder if he is being mis-informed or just a total jackass? How the hell do you get a job servicing any vehicle and with good conscience overfill them with oil on purpose!?!

That is my rant for the evening. Cheers NAM and good night.

Old 05-22-2013, 05:51 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Got my MINI back from the service center during my lunch break today. My lovely girlfriend gave me the ride back as she knew how furious I was that they were late the previous time. My invoice states they drained 0.5 quarts from the engine. .
PICS OF G/F OR IT DIDNT HAPPEN BRO.

(kidding.)

Glad it got worked out.

Yea... an extra half a quart.. for the Turbo... riiiiight...

Sounds like he was just covering for the tech who screwed up.

Do yourself a favor.. on the work order, there is a tech ID number from the guy who _first_ did the oil change.

Next time you go, make sure that tech never works on your car again.

BTW, BMW does not have dipsticks.. nor does many Audi, or Merc owners of later cars.. (you can retrofit them..) the service is.. drain ALL the oil out.. and refill with spec...

You might also be shocked to learn that most manufacturers (domestic as well).. have done away with ATF dipsticks..

Old 05-22-2013, 06:21 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear
Old 05-22-2013, 06:22 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear
... just woke up.. sorry about that...

On a serious note. Thanks for the info... not a bad idea to BAN that tech from my MINI.

Old 05-22-2013, 06:44 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
... just woke up.. sorry about that...

On a serious note. Thanks for the info... not a bad idea to BAN that tech from my MINI.
lol... nicely done sir!

Old 05-22-2013, 06:56 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Very good choice:-). I can't wait for the Avengers 2!

Old 05-22-2013, 07:27 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear

Yeah, I hope Avengers 2 will be as action packed as the first one! Iron Man 3 was meh... I enjoyed seeing the different array of suits, but the Mandarin was an actor? Did not see that one coming.

The Thor 2 preview also seems meh... but it won't stop me from seeing it!

Last edited by gezz81; 05-22-2013 at 07:39 PM. Reason: grammatic error
Old 05-22-2013, 07:40 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear

Yeah, I hope Avengers 2 will be as action packed as the first one! Iron Man 3 was meh... I enjoyed seeing the different array of suits, but the Mandarin was an actor? Did not see that one coming.

The Thor 2 preview also seems meh... but it won't stop me from seeing it!
Not to get off topic, don't forget about Spider-Man 2, Emma Stone is hot in blond:-) haha.

Back to topic lol

Old 05-23-2013, 10:14 AM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
... BMW's do not have dipsticks. If that is the case, then how do Beemer owners keep track of their oil levels?
There is an electronic readout for oil level. It is as reliable as any other electronic instrument for detecting fluid levels--say, the gas gauge....

"Oh yeah, that is most likely why they overfilled it a little. Those cars need more oil cause of the Turbo."
He was probably referring to the tendency that the turbo cars have to burn oil. Which, while not uncommon, is not at all universal. And is not a reason for overfilling, IMHO.

Old 05-23-2013, 10:31 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
I always filled my turbo cars up to 5qtz of oil. My old Stealth T/T took 4.6 but filled to five. Same thing on my MINI I always get my oil changes and put 5qtz in. No issues here, obviously turbo's are known to eating the lovely oil we fill them up with.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:10 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear
Slave to Felines: That makes sense. Next time my old man plans to come to town I'll have to take a look at his Audi S4 and ask him how he keeps track or if he just follows the OBC.
I do understand that it may drink more oil than the "justa" cooper, but I feel that as the customer and owner I should have the choice to have my vehicle serviced to my preference (as per the owner's manual). I'll fill him up as needed! Thanks for the info and feedback!

RobMuntean: Well that is a relief to know that it has not had any negative effects on your MINI! Do you do your own oil changes or have it serviced? (I would assume since its a 11' MCSa:White Silver/Black that you have MINI perform them, yes?) However, as stated above, I would still prefer to abide by the guidelines in the manual and top off the oil when I need to. Thank you for the feedback and your experience. I shall note this, so I do not freak out as much if they overfill again. (I will still insist on having the excess drained if it ever happens again though!)

Old 05-23-2013, 06:16 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear
Also, here is the ScanGauge II installed:

Attached Thumbnails Boost gone after an oil change???-scan-gauge-installed-copy.jpg  
Old 05-23-2013, 06:21 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Also, here is the ScanGauge II installed: