General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Boost gone after an oil change???

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-2013, 04:52 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Boost gone after an oil change???

Hello NAM community! I recently went for my first ever oil change on my 2013 R56-S a few days ago. Service was sub-par to say the least... but that's for another thread...

After said oil change, I jump onto the nearest parkway and I accelerate like I normally do to merge... to my surprise... NO BOOST... NO POWER... NO UMMPH... NOTHING! I nearly had a heart attack! Fortunately about 1 to 3 minutes passes and it finally engages like nothing ever happened. I immediately called the service center and left a concerned message to my "Service Consultant".

The next day he said it's just "turbo lag"... nothing to be concerned with. I told him that I am going to keep an eye on this and keep him posted as this has never occurred on my vehicle before.

NAM, I am in need of your valued feedback:
1.) Is it just "turbo lag" and nothing to be concerned about?
2.) Should I purchase a gauge that monitor's the boost... perhaps the JCW torque/boost or should I go after market?

Thanks.

Old 05-16-2013, 05:50 PM
k_h_d
6th Gear
I have never experienced turbo lag on my JCW. If I have the engine at 3k RPM or higher it has plenty of torque. Actually 2500 or higher and it accelerates very well.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:02 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
Get a ScanGaugeII as it is quick and easy to install and monitor your Boost and many other parameters of your MINI. Did you get any CEL lights? I would double check the oil if you think the service was sub-par.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:02 PM
DneprDave
6th Gear
Received 85 Likes on 77 Posts
Turbo lag?! He was shoveling crap! The whole purpose of the small, dual scroll turbocharger on MINIs is to eliminate turbo lag.

It wouldn't hurt to get a Scangage for it to keep an eye on things.

http://www.outmotoring.com/mini-coop...de_reader.html

Dave

Old 05-16-2013, 06:10 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
You can go to almost any AutoZone and get one on sale for $139.99.

Old 05-16-2013, 06:55 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear
K__H__D: more or less what I told the "Service Consultant"!

Braminator: Thankfully no Check Engine Light. I had them check the oil in front of me before I left. It was clean and just at the top of the red bulbous part of the dip stick. As most have documented, my invoice states: 5 of Motor Oil SAE 5W-30 Longlife was used. I did check again the morning after the incident and all seems well. Another oil check after I arrived at my work parking garage... does not seem over filled. Also, the turbo has not "disappeared" on me since.

The sub-par experience was mostly due to the lack of communication with the staff. It was frustrating... like pulling teeth... as no one told me that my consultant left for the day and they had me waiting for 8-10 minutes in his office before I had to ask someone to page him. Hopefully this did not reflect on the technician that performed the oil change.

Braminator & DneprDave: Honestly wanted an actual gauge display, but I would have to pay someone to install since I am novice at best with tools. If the claim of easy install is as advertised, then I may just get the ScanGauge 2 since I need this ASAP to keep an eye on the boost.

DneprDave: Thanks for the info on the turbo lag, or rather the lack there of. I did stumble upon this very statement on some of my research. I guess its time to dump this consultant. I do not appreciate being lied to... at least have the decency to say I'm not sure or I'll look into it for you. Seems all they want is a high turn around.. churn customers out and make that money!

Can't thank you all enough for the input!

Old 05-16-2013, 07:29 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear
It really is that simple! Plug it into the OBDII port and customize what you want to monitor? Auto Zone here I come!

Thanks again for all the info! NAM Community is AMAZING! Don't know what I'd do without it.

Old 05-16-2013, 08:32 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
If the claim of easy install is as advertised, then I may just get the ScanGauge 2 since I need this ASAP to keep an eye on the boost.
One wire plugged directly into the OBDII port and you are done. The hardest part is determining where you want to put it.
Here is a picture of it.

Old 05-16-2013, 09:45 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear
^ Thanks Braminator!

Old 05-17-2013, 04:51 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by gezz81
^ Thanks Braminator!

Keep us posted.

Old 05-17-2013, 08:29 AM
danjreed
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
I was going to say they may have overfilled the oil. Overfilled oil causes the level to be too high and "whip the oil" with the crank as it hits it. I've felt this a few times (in other cars).. its a very VERY noticeable power loss. Its also bad for seals and can damage the converter if oil is forced into the combustion chamber.

That said, I totally plan to pick up a SGII once I get my Mini.. the lack of gauges in the car really bothers me.. then again I've always added things like oil pressure/oil temp gauges to all my past cars...

Old 05-18-2013, 08:23 AM
gezz81
2nd Gear
danjreed: I believe you are absolutely right... I re-checked my oil level and it does seem to be over-filled... haven't had the boost problem again. However, next oil change.. I shall make sure that they only place 4.4 quarts as stated in the users manual!

ALL: I have purchased the scangauge 2 and shall be installing and messing with settings in the next few days... stay tuned.

Old 05-18-2013, 09:35 AM
jmgpr7
2nd Gear
Quick tip, dont push your car when its cold. I know mini don't come with a temperature water or oil gauge , but pushing a cold engine to high RPM is not good idea. The oil has not reach the perfect temperature to lubricate and protect you engine components and you might hurt the engine on the joy ride. Remember that not tuned minis don't boost up on low RPM. To get the best acceleration in a JCW or MCS get to 2800-3000 and let it rip!!

Old 05-18-2013, 12:07 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear
Noted.. thank you for the tip!

Old 05-18-2013, 12:31 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
My guess...
They updated the software on your mini....
so two things were going on...
the computer was adapting/learning YOUR car...
And most modern software will limit max performance till car is warm...helps to prevent mechanical issues...like cracked heads, etc.

Old 05-18-2013, 02:23 PM
ocluck
2nd Gear
delete

Old 05-18-2013, 05:06 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
My guess...
They updated the software on your mini....
so two things were going on...
the computer was adapting/learning YOUR car...
And most modern software will limit max performance till car is warm...helps to prevent mechanical issues...like cracked heads, etc.
Would they have noted that on my invoice (software update)? I actually did let the car warm up for a bit before I left. However, just to play it safe, I will go ahead and install the ScanGauge 2 to keep an eye on things.

Thanks for the feedback!

Old 05-20-2013, 05:44 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear
I am in need of some advice (Again.. my apologies):

Attached are pics of the OEM dipstick alongside the CraveSpeed one. It does appear that the oil was overfilled! No check engine light. No oil leaks from the bottom of the engine. However, there seems to be some oil coming out of the top of the engine from the oil cap (see photo).

How should I approach my service center about my concern?
Should I email/call my consultant exclusively or should I get supervisor/management involved?

I really just want this done correctly! (or the very least... the next oil change to be precise.)

Attached Thumbnails Boost gone after an oil change???-oil-issue-003.jpg   Boost gone after an oil change???-oil-issue-001.jpg   Boost gone after an oil change???-oil-issue-002.jpg  
Old 05-20-2013, 06:02 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
I am in need of some advice (Again.. my apologies):

Attached are pics of the OEM dipstick alongside the CraveSpeed one. It does appear that the oil was overfilled! No check engine light. No oil leaks from the bottom of the engine. However, there seems to be some oil coming out of the top of the engine from the oil cap (see photo).

How should I approach my service center about my concern?
Should I email/call my consultant exclusively or should I get supervisor/management involved?

I really just want this done correctly! (or the very least... the next oil change to be precise.)
Oh, wow, that is REALLY overfull. Its to the marker line correct? Call them ASAP and tell them about the loss of power. It is 100% due to being overfilled and crank windage. Just explain you checked it, and never added any.. but it looks very overfull. You want it taken care of.

To put windage in ever day terms, its like trying to run.. in a lake with your knees below the water line.. it slows you down.. the deeper the water.. the slower you go.

Same goes for the crank in the oil bath.. generally the crank is *above* the oil line..

Get that oil level drained ASAP.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:14 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
When the crankshaft whips the oil into foam, you lose oil pressure. Then the oil pumps try to push to foam thru the oil passages which does not have a chance and neither does the engine.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:34 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear
Here I was hoping that my first oil change would go smoothly (even after reading so many "horror" stories of dealerships overfilling oil). Guess I was too optimistic.

I have emailed (attached pics) and will call my Service Consultant tomorrow AM. I hope he takes care of me and my MINI. So stressed... in the mean time is it ok to drive him? Maybe take it easy?

Thank you danjreed and Braminator! Appreciate the knowledge and advice!

Old 05-20-2013, 06:39 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Here I was hoping that my first oil change would go smoothly (even after reading so many "horror" stories of dealerships overfilling oil). Guess I was too optimistic.

I have emailed (attached pics) and will call my Service Consultant tomorrow AM. I hope he takes care of me and my MINI. So stressed... in the mean time is it ok to drive him? Maybe take it easy?

Thank you danjreed and Braminator! Appreciate the knowledge and advice!
Absolutely DO NOT DRIVE it unless you drain some oil. You can risk major damage if you drive it. You can blow out seals or you can vapor lock the engine. So don't take the risk.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:40 PM
danjreed
6th Gear
Only thing is, if the owner drains the oil.. they have no claim the dealer ever did anything wrong.

I'd drive it real easy.. real easy back to the dealer..

Unless the engine is making noise.. chances are its ok.. ticking from lack of lubrication (air/foam/whipping) would show up as sticking in the head area under hard driving... (or just acceleration..).

If you didn't have this, you'll be ok most likely.

Old 05-20-2013, 06:42 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by danjreed
Only thing is, if the owner drains the oil.. they have no claim the dealer ever did anything wrong.

I'd drive it real easy.. real easy back to the dealer..
I would agree with that. It is going to be a very stressful ride there though IMO. Good luck

Old 05-20-2013, 07:49 PM
gezz81
2nd Gear
I'm already stressed out thinking about this... let alone driving tomorrow knowing the possible harm I may be doing to my engine. Thankfully, I have heard no noise from the engine that leads me to believe that something is wrong. I will most definitely take it easy and speak to them bright and early tomorrow.

Thanks again.

Quick Reply: Boost gone after an oil change???