General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

First Service Denied

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 11:40 AM
YZZX
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
First Service Denied

My first service shows due in 1000 miles. Just found out my favorite Aunt died and I called the dealer about getting my first service today or tomorrow to get my service done before I put it on the road.

The woman was haughty and arrogant to me on the phone. I pretty much lost it.

My SA is no longer at MINI. There have been many issues. When I walk in, I am ignored. Any time I ask for anything the answer is no. They just cant be bothered with me is the feeling I get any time I have tried to deal with them post sale.

I mean, come on. My Aunt died. I need to drive to her funeral. How difficult is it to show some common courtesy and set up an oil change?

Old 05-22-2013, 11:43 AM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 51 Likes on 36 Posts
Very sorry for your loss. Just go to another dealer close by or on your way to where you are going. You could try filing a complaint with MINI direct, though I don't think it will help.

Old 05-22-2013, 12:10 PM
YZZX
2nd Gear
Thanks.

I called back and asked for the manager. I told him my story. He set me up with an appointment to have service "look at" the indicator. No promise of a first service though.

And maybe I am just feeling extra sensitive right now, but I thought he was a little inappropriate too. He asked how many miles I had, and I said, "I dunno. Around 7000 I think". He said, "you drove 7000 miles and only had the car 7 months?".

I think after I get past this family crisis I am going to just drive it onto the Mercedes lot and get me an SLK.

Old 05-22-2013, 01:14 PM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
The new cars are down to 8-10k miles for an oil service. The service department can perform that service if you are within 2k miles. They will get paid and should make you an appointment. I am sorry that they are being so ridiculous.

The amount you drive is no business to them, they should do the service as long as you mean the CBS indicator on the car. I bought my '10 clubman in August of 2012 and came back in 5 weeks with 5k miles more on it to do an oil change on my own dime. They remarked it was a lot of miles so quick, but they were glad i was enjoying the car. The actually thought I was back because there might have been something wrong with the car or I needed to buy accessories. I told them all about my week-long trip to The Dragon with some buddies from work and how much more use I was getting out of the R55, over the R56 with the additional room.

Old 05-22-2013, 02:44 PM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
And maybe I am just feeling extra sensitive right now, but I thought he was a little inappropriate too. He asked how many miles I had, and I said, "I dunno. Around 7000 I think". He said, "you drove 7000 miles and only had the car 7 months?".
thats nothing.....i have ~6000 miles on mine and ive had my car not even 3 months.

i can only imagine what my dealer is going to say when i take it in for service with only 5 months on the clock.

Old 05-22-2013, 03:22 PM
coelacanth
2nd Gear
Sorry for your loss. And sorry to hear about your dealer experience.

I guess no ones really really happy with their dealers, but what you've experienced with "your" dealer is pretty darn bad. My dealer, thought not perfect at all, has never denied a bit early servicing. I remember I had 1200 or more miles to go few times and they took in and did the service early every time. Again, my dealer is not perfect, but I never felt ignored or mistreated. They even fought for me with upper management to push through some warranty parts replacement that were in "grey zone."

I hope you can give a different MINI dealer a try before giving up on the whole MINI brand...

Old 05-22-2013, 08:05 PM
jessicaledw
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I'm so sorry for your loss. I don't know which dealership you've been dealing with, but you might see if there's a MINI dealership near wherever you are headed for the funeral/memorial service. I'm from the Dallas area and all three MINI dealerships in DFW are great. I believe that you can take your MINI to any MINI dealership in the country for the included service and warranty periods. If you're going to need a loaner then I would call ahead and explain what you've been through and why you're asking for help on such short notice. I've taken mine to two different dealerships for warranty-related items during the past few weeks and before that my MINI was always taken care of by Moritz MINI in Arlington. The SAs at Moritz are great. Good luck!

Old 05-22-2013, 09:13 PM
6thGear
4th Gear
wow, that 7000 miles in 7 months comment was very inappropriate and uninformed. The rule of thumb is around 10-12k miles each year. 7/7 is right on target....

Old 05-23-2013, 04:18 AM
zigziggityzoo
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by YZZX
Thanks.

I called back and asked for the manager. I told him my story. He set me up with an appointment to have service "look at" the indicator. No promise of a first service though.

I think after I get past this family crisis I am going to just drive it onto the Mercedes lot and get me an SLK.

Hope it works out. Just curious, is your MINI dealership owned by Sonic Automotive Group? I ask because the BMW dealer here in town is owned by them, and I get nothing but trouble every time I bring my X3 in for service. I was even "permanently banned" from the service department once, all for bringing a coupon in from their own website (The manager since rescinded the ban, but still).

I now purposefully drive an hour out of the way to avoid any of Sonic Automotive's dealerships and filed a complaint with BMW of America.

Old 05-23-2013, 04:35 AM
BlwnAway
6th Gear
Received 280 Likes on 206 Posts
Originally Posted by 6thGear
wow, that 7000 miles in 7 months comment was very inappropriate and uninformed. The rule of thumb is around 10-12k miles each year. 7/7 is right on target....
No kidding, I avg. 2200 miles a month, came back a month after a service early on for another one, (21 day 7k mile road trip) all my SM did was look at me & say "Damn, drive much?"

Sux you're having such a bad expierence in your area, even with my heavily modified car and the only reason I'm at the dealer for being, parts, my dealer is as friendly as always.

Last edited by BlwnAway; 05-23-2013 at 04:42 AM.
Old 05-23-2013, 04:40 AM
yetti96
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by zigziggityzoo
Hope it works out. Just curious, is your MINI dealership owned by Sonic Automotive Group? I ask because the BMW dealer here in town is owned by them, and I get nothing but trouble every time I bring my X3 in for service. I was even "permanently banned" from the service department once, all for bringing a coupon in from their own website (The manager since rescinded the ban, but still).

I now purposefully drive an hour out of the way to avoid any of Sonic Automotive's dealerships and filed a complaint with BMW of America.
That's a bummer because my Sonic dealer has been nothing short of excellent.

Old 05-23-2013, 05:36 AM
YZZX
2nd Gear
Drove into service, they put my key in the analyzer thing, it said oil change recommended. They are changing the oil now.

And thank you for the condolences. I will be heading out this afternoon before traffic has a chance to get bad.