General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is MINI Preparing a Campaign for the Infamous Chain Tensioner? Rumor has it.

Search this Thread

Old 06-12-2013, 04:22 PM
M'Cooper
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Systemlord
Irvine Mini just told me that my upper timing chain guides are broken, quoted me $3500 dollars to repair!! ********, they are ripping me off with that price! I have contacted Mini USA about it all and they wanted receipts for the cost of every oil change in which I provided, they know that I have been doing oil changes on my own every 5000 miles.

I provided every receipt to them, now I wait 3-5 business days whether they cover all repair costs (goodwill) or we come to an arrangement. I personally won't pay more than $200, I haven't told them that I have a 6-Year/100,000 mile warranty that has a $200 dollar deductible. If they charge me more then I'll just hand them my warranty card and I will pay the deductible and have it repaired.
I thought the extended warranty deductible was $50?

Old 06-12-2013, 05:34 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Received 34 Likes on 34 Posts
Originally Posted by M'Cooper
I thought the extended warranty deductible was $50?
My warranty is through Carmax, Maxcare is the warranty company. It's $150 deductible if I let Carmax sub-contract it out if their unable to perform the repair, costs $200 for deductible if I have it done at the dealership. I'm not about to let John Doe touch my Mini, rather have the dealer do it!

Old 06-26-2013, 09:20 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Well it seems Mini USA is unwilling to do anything about my busted timing chain assembly! Perhaps that's why Mini's customer satisfaction is #39 or the very end of the list in last Thursday's paper, Toyota was number #2! Mini is not at all concerned about how their customers perceive them, sad! What comes around goes around!

Old 06-27-2013, 10:41 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Well it seems Mini USA is unwilling to do anything about my busted timing chain assembly! Perhaps that's why Mini's customer satisfaction is #39 or the very end of the list in last Thursday's paper, Toyota was number #2! Mini is not at all concerned about how their customers perceive them, sad! What comes around goes around!
I've aked this question on this forum once before but never got any response.

You kept records and reciepts of your oil changes and provided them to Mini USA when requested.
Specificly, did they accept those reciepta as proof of proper oil changes or did they deny your claim for repairs due to something else.
Since you are covered under an extended warranty,upon learning you have warranty, will they then accept your reciepts as proof of proper oil changes and cover the repairs under that warranty?

Old 06-27-2013, 11:27 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I suspect the problem is the MINI warranty expired at least two years ago, if not sooner due to mileage. Not sure why MINI should do anything in this case.

Old 06-27-2013, 01:33 PM
Systemlord
6th Gear
Originally Posted by TREX
I've aked this question on this forum once before but never got any response.

You kept records and reciepts of your oil changes and provided them to Mini USA when requested.
Specificly, did they accept those reciepta as proof of proper oil changes or did they deny your claim for repairs due to something else.
Since you are covered under an extended warranty,upon learning you have warranty, will they then accept your reciepts as proof of proper oil changes and cover the repairs under that warranty?
You know what, I purchased my 2007 MCS less than three months ago. The service records did show that one of the three previous owners was advised that it needed it's oil change and the owner declined to take care of it with the dealer! This doesn't mean....

That may have been the deciding factor, but how does the dealer know for sure that the owner didn't have the oil changed somewhere else or in his own garage? This was my argument with Mini USA, all because I couldn't prove ONE oil change!! Mini is a cheap mother******! AJ (the SA) wasn't surprised by Mini USA not wanting to cover the goodwill repair, it's something that has happened many times before he stated.

On another GREAT note my MaxCare extended warranty (6-Year/120,000 mile) approved the repair in just over an hour today at Mini Irvine, I'll have my Mini back tomorrow minus my $200 dollar deductable!!

AJ at Irvine Mini (the SA) told me that they have performed the infamous timing chain/tensioner repair many times over, he knew MaxCare would approve the repair order before he even called them. It's not his first time dealing with MaxCare when dealing with the timing chain/tensioner repair, that says a lot not counting the ones covered under and out of warranty! My AEM intake gets a new home tomorrow!

Originally Posted by jcauseyfd
I suspect the problem is the MINI warranty expired at least two years ago, if not sooner due to mileage. Not sure why MINI should do anything in this case.
The warranty being expired has nothing to do with it, it's a known defect timing chain/tensioner and those that don't believe that are kidding themselves! I'm not implying you are, not directed at you.

Last edited by Systemlord; 06-27-2013 at 01:43 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 02:27 AM
Systemlord
6th Gear
I got my MCS back from having all the timing chain components replaced with the updated parts by my Mini dealer. Every startup sounds normal and smooth, but after I reach operating temperature if you put your head near the valve cover above the timing chain you can hear the chain spinning ever so slightly. Since I have never heard a properly tensioned timing chain would you consider this sound as normal?

Last edited by Systemlord; 06-30-2013 at 12:01 PM.
Old 06-30-2013, 10:19 AM
TREX
4th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
You know what, I purchased my 2007 MCS less than three months ago. The service records did show that one of the three previous owners was advised that it needed it's oil change and the owner declined to take care of it with the dealer! This doesn't mean....

That may have been the deciding factor, but how does the dealer know for sure that the owner didn't have the oil changed somewhere else or in his own garage? This was my argument with Mini USA, all because I couldn't prove ONE oil change!! Mini is a cheap mother******! AJ (the SA) wasn't surprised by Mini USA not wanting to cover the goodwill repair, it's something that has happened many times before he stated.

On another GREAT note my MaxCare extended warranty (6-Year/120,000 mile) approved the repair in just over an hour today at Mini Irvine, I'll have my Mini back tomorrow minus my $200 dollar deductable!!

AJ at Irvine Mini (the SA) told me that they have performed the infamous timing chain/tensioner repair many times over, he knew MaxCare would approve the repair order before he even called them. It's not his first time dealing with MaxCare when dealing with the timing chain/tensioner repair, that says a lot not counting the ones covered under and out of warranty! My AEM intake gets a new home tomorrow!

The warranty being expired has nothing to do with it, it's a known defect timing chain/tensioner and those that don't believe that are kidding themselves! I'm not implying you are, not directed at you.
One questionable oil change and they invalidate the whole thing, hell with Mini "S"'s consuming 1L/1000KLM of oil whats the point in changing the oil at all as it appears the cars pretty much doing that on it's own.
It's a sad situation where one finds that his extended warranty from an outside provider is going to take better care of you than the manufacturer of the car was willing to do.

Old 06-30-2013, 10:32 AM
jcauseyfd
6th Gear
I don't think the third party warranty provider is doing it for free. They are just doing the same thing MINI would have done if a paid-for warranty had been in place. They are not treating any one any better or worse than MINI.

Old 07-16-2013, 08:27 AM
ClubmanS
6th Gear
Any updates regarding this campaign?

Old 07-16-2013, 03:45 PM
chemistrus
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hhhhmmm

MINI is owned by BMW and a lot of BMW owners are very poplar about their experiences. They either love and have great relationship with BMW or will not ever own one out of warranty. A lot jumped ship to Audi or Lexus and they say Lexus is better but you don't have the fun ratio in a Lexus. They crazy smile you get driving one. Audi is just another BMW with a little better interiors and in some cases better manufacture experience.

For BMW MINI is a experiment to see hatches and other cars while find strange new niche market. Come on the X6 and the GT. The X6 is nice it is odd and 650 Grand Coupe while a great car its a 7 series with a nicer suite and about 5 to 10K more.

I feel for you guys and your right the manufacture should stand by their cars but they are in it to make money and nothing else.