General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

I need some help...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2013, 08:43 AM
GiuliaGulia456
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I need some help...

So right after we fixes everything that was wrong with my baby... She started overheating again. The coolant gets eaten up like its candy and I have to refill it like allll the time.. I know the hose is a little dry rotted but that's an easy fix but even after I put the coolant in and everything it still is overheating... When I put the heat on at full blast and all the way on hot the temp meter goes down... I don't know how to fix it.. And I'm doing this by myself.. So as much help as i can get would be awesome...

Attached Thumbnails I need some help...-image.jpg  
Old 07-05-2013, 09:22 AM
JacobFatz
2nd Gear
Sounds like you need a new radiator and hoses while you're at it.

Old 07-05-2013, 09:58 AM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The system must be able to hold pressure to keep from overheating.

I'd start with hoses, because you already know that's a problem. The hope is that you stop the leak, flush it with distilled water, refill with new coolant/distilled water mix and problem solved. Don't forget that you must bleed the air out when you refill it. There's a screw thats easy in the upper radiator hose. Another one hidden in the heat exchange (smaller hose) that runs above the transmission next to the air intake box. It's like a brass bolt I think.

As mentioned, your radiator could be all clogged up. Your thermostat may not be opening at the right temp anymore. Thermostat housings are known to leak. I would hope that turning on your cabin-heater to cool means the water pump still works (at least somewhat). The coolant reservoir bottle mounted to the firewall is known to leak at the seams. And of course the cap itself must hold pressure.

Find the pelican write up, it's pretty decent. Make sure to use MINI coolant, or Zyrex G05 coolant. Don't use the ol' green stuff. Distilled water from a grocery store is only a dollar a gallon, and important to ensure you don't get mineral build up or corrosion from tap-water.

Fix the leaky hoses and see what happens. Good luck.

Old 07-05-2013, 10:00 AM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
A little more info might help the gurus here. Does it overheat when driven on the open road or only in stop and go traffic? Are you sure the fan is working? Any white smoke in the exhaust? How many miles on the car?

Old 07-05-2013, 10:04 AM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Ps. How's your oil look? Full? Any milky stuff stuck on the bottom of the oil-fill cap?

Old 07-05-2013, 11:32 AM
RockAZ
4th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Old hoses collapse when driving and squeeze nearly shut, but you cannot see them do that in your driveway when filling it. Start there.

Old 07-05-2013, 02:00 PM
Pure87
4th Gear
Have you checked your thermostat housing? If the gasket is dry and brittle, you may be leaking coolant from there, causing your car to overheat. If it's still overheating after changing the hoses you should definitely look into changing the thermostat and its gasket.

Old 07-06-2013, 08:06 PM
GiuliaGulia456
1st Gear
It over heats when I'm driving it. That's it. And yeah we bled the radiator but when it overheated I checked it and there was none in there. It just poof.. Gone

Old 07-06-2013, 08:24 PM
Braminator
OVERDRIVE
Received 50 Likes on 35 Posts
What did you fix to start with? It sound like it is burning up in the engine. Any smoke out of the tailpipes?

Old 07-07-2013, 12:21 AM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Originally Posted by GiuliaGulia456
It over heats when I'm driving it. That's it. And yeah we bled the radiator but when it overheated I checked it and there was none in there. It just poof.. Gone
How quickly does the coolant disappear? In a day, a month?

I re-read your first post in this thread, I thought hoses were leaking, but not sure now.

It can only be disappearing to one of three places -leak on the ground, leak into the crank-case and mix with oil or turn to steam and go out the exhaust pipe.

To check on some of this you could: Check your oil, and also look at the underside of the oil fill cap.
Look to see if you have white smoke / steam coming out exhaust pipe.

Old 07-07-2013, 08:38 AM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
Is the fan working?

Old 07-08-2013, 08:47 AM
GiuliaGulia456
1st Gear
Yeah the fan works fine no milky stuff under the cap. It seems to go in a day. It's really annoying. And no smoke.

Old 07-08-2013, 09:06 AM
Pure87
4th Gear
Did you check your thermostat gasket? That's where my coolant was leaking a few months back when I was having overheating issues.

Old 07-08-2013, 10:04 AM
AlexQS
5th Gear
Well that's good that oil looks good and no white smoke. So at this point I'm thinking your head gasket is okay. -careful not to run it to the point of overheating, head gasket could blow in those conditions.

As mentioned, check thermostat housing.

A day seems fast for a slow leak mysteriously loose all of the coolant in the system (if I'm correctly understanding your current symptoms)

I think your goal at this point is to locate the leak, right?

Bringing the car up to its operating temperature, then turning it off, and immediately (while it's hot), open the hood, listen for hissing sounds. If the leak is slow, and it evaporates so you never see a wet spot, looking and listening while it's hot "might" help to find the leak.

Edit: regarding your head gasket being okay, I should have just said "you don't have common symptoms of a blown headgasket". If you don't find a leak elsewhere, it may still be worthwhile to do a leak down test.

Last edited by AlexQS; 07-08-2013 at 03:55 PM.