General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Mini cooper roof or hitch bike rack?

Search this Thread

Old 07-16-2013, 09:40 PM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Mini cooper roof or hitch bike rack?

i'm probably going to get a R53 or R56 s versions. is a roof rack or hitch better? its sounding like if I want to attach the bike with both wheels on, then the hitch route would be cheaper. also if I go with a hitch I'd might have to get some extender if I wanted the hatch to clear the bike? 99% of the time I'll only be transporting 1 bike, so maybe the hatch door will clear if the bike is on the far end of the rack? I dont think I loose too much gas millage with a roof rack but what about wind noise?

also, using the thule fit guide for the car, the cheapest roof rack is $364 for the squarebar, and $424 for the aeroblade. vs this hitch below which is only $150. thats $200 cheaper, or am I missing something? install of the hitch doesn't look too hard either.

Mini Trailer Hitch (Cooper S) - CURT-11130 | FCP Euro

also, the minidomore hitch here for the "02-06 Mini Cooper S Hardtop" is $265, why is it more than the above hitch?:
Mini Cooper Towing & Hauling | Hidden Trailer Receiver Hitch | MiniDoMore.com

thanks.

Old 07-17-2013, 04:55 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Some hitch-mount bike racks have a "tilt" back mechanism to allow the rack to pivot back a few degrees to give hatch / tailgate clearance. My Thule 2-bike rack has this feature.

Some would say that the Curt hitches are much less expensive since they didn't need to spend money on engineering, this post comes to mind:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...67-post39.html

Old 07-18-2013, 02:37 PM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by ljmattox
Some hitch-mount bike racks have a "tilt" back mechanism to allow the rack to pivot back a few degrees to give hatch / tailgate clearance. My Thule 2-bike rack has this feature.

Some would say that the Curt hitches are much less expensive since they didn't need to spend money on engineering, this post comes to mind:

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...67-post39.html
thanks. any more opinions on hitch vs roof?

Old 07-19-2013, 09:22 AM
6thGear
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
I have a roof rack for two bikes on my Clubman. Its an INNO wheels on rack on MINI base crossbars. I do not hear any wind noise both with or without bikes. My MPG suffers about 2-3 MPG though. The reason I got the roof rack was because I wanted to be able to open the barn doors without removing a hitch mount. I would prefer a hitch mount for ease of strapping on and taking off the bike, but the bikes really arent that heavy so I dont mind lifting the bikes up onto the roof. You just have to be really careful so you dont scratch or ding your own car!!

On a side note, when I have two bikes on the rack, I almost always have people staring at the car because the bikes make the car look even smaller.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:17 PM
gremlin
2nd Gear
I think this comes down to preference. I prefer a hitch rack, why? Because I think there are two types of people with roof racks, those who have driven into something and those who haven't yet driven into something. I fall in the second camp, but pretty much everyone else I know who has a roof rack has done it. I used to put my garage door opener in the trunk when I mounted bikes on the roof, but now it's built-in, plus it doesn't prevent you forgetting when you stop at a shop for a second on the way home....

Also I prefer the back because I ride more mountain than road bikes and I don't like lifting the heavier bikes to my roof, or having the mud fall on it on the way home.

In general I find it easier and cleaner to use a rear mounted rack. I've seen several Hardtops with really nicely hidden small hitches that go in the grill on the back so they're pretty much invisible when not in use, Thule, Kuat, One Up, all make nice hitch racks that will easily hold pretty much any bike, from a full carbon Tour de France Roadie bike, to a 40lb DH Rig.

Old 07-19-2013, 01:51 PM
aldito2
3rd Gear
i bought roof racks for my clubman. I painted my oem mini racks black (roof color) and I bought red rocky mounts euro spec (car color). They look nice, but once on I thought "I shouldve got a hitch" just seems easier.

in the end do as you wish, but I think hitch is easier. for bikes roof for boards

Old 12-15-2013, 09:43 PM
JCMTB81
Neutral
What Hitch Rack

Originally Posted by Gabe3
thanks. any more opinions on hitch vs roof?
Hey Gabe,
What hitch rack did you end up with? did you have to use an extender?
I saw your post on MTBR as well, what 29er are you riding?

thanks,

John

Old 12-16-2013, 01:51 AM
scubbysnacks
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hitch=flexability, bicycle carrier, cargo carrier and towing

Roof racks=roof racks

Old 12-16-2013, 11:00 AM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JCMTB81
Hey Gabe,
What hitch rack did you end up with? did you have to use an extender?
I saw your post on MTBR as well, what 29er are you riding?

thanks,

John
I went with the swagman xc 2 bike rack. didn't get a extender. the rack is pretty light at 27 lbs. I didn't want a heavy rack messing with the car's handling. i keep my car outside and since the swagman is steel it rusts easily. its just surface rust but its not going to last as long as something that isn't steel. the saris thelma and 1up usa are two other light racks that would probably last forever. I'm riding a chinese carbon.

I have a photo with the bumper off and hitch on if you want to see it.

Old 12-16-2013, 08:28 PM
JCMTB81
Neutral
Originally Posted by Gabe3
I went with the swagman xc 2 bike rack. didn't get a extender. the rack is pretty light at 27 lbs. I didn't want a heavy rack messing with the car's handling. i keep my car outside and since the swagman is steel it rusts easily. its just surface rust but its not going to last as long as something that isn't steel. the saris thelma and 1up usa are two other light racks that would probably last forever. I'm riding a chinese carbon.

I have a photo with the bumper off and hitch on if you want to see it.
Hey Glen,
if you don't mind sharing a photo, that would be great.
do you drive your car with a bumper?

thanks.

Old 12-16-2013, 09:19 PM
Gabe3
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by JCMTB81
Hey Glen,
if you don't mind sharing a photo, that would be great.
do you drive your car with a bumper?

thanks.
I mentioned without the bumper cause I was thinking you may want to see how the hitch goes on. heres a few photos:

Old 12-19-2013, 11:12 AM
JCWvsAbarth
Neutral
I like the hitch mounted receiver racks better. I know you have to cut a little square out for the receiver tube but I'd rather have just that little nub sticking through my bumper then a lift gate or roof mounted rack where it'd be rubbing on my paint all the time. BTW I got my receiver and rack from http://www.hitchanything.com/Bike-Racks/.