General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

How to fix 02 mini cooper glove box

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2013, 01:05 PM
minimustang
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
How to fix 02 mini cooper glove box

So like many my glove box broke. While knowing I could get a used one around $53.00 or new one from $150-$240. I first tore into mine. Then come to see I could fix it so I did. When I realized that, I took pictures. I got it fixed and works better than ever. I had a hard time loading pictures on here and it wouldn't let me upload the Microsoft power point either. So I took a video of it with my phone and uploaded on you tube and finally able to get a link on here. So I hope it works out for you.
GOOD LUCK

Last edited by minimustang; 07-19-2013 at 01:16 PM.
Old 10-15-2013, 04:47 AM
AlphaFox
1st Gear
Thank you for this. Ripping the halves of the door apart is pretty brutal, kind of like orthopedic surgery, but this worked perfectly and saved me a wad of cash!

Old 10-21-2013, 06:48 PM
minimustang
1st Gear
hey AlphaFox,

Your Welcome... I am glad it worked out for you.. Yah, tearing the 2 pieces of door apart is brutal in deed, but worth it

Old 10-21-2013, 08:13 PM
mona5255
2nd Gear
I had to do the same different approach but like your style

Sent from my iPhone using NAMotoring

Old 11-07-2013, 02:31 PM
BarryJB
Neutral
Hey MM & glove box fixers - I just did this same split op on a (ok special x) GF's car and came across your video afterwards while looking for what sticks to g-box material... cool you made it a Youtube procedure documenting 1st time fix - Gunga Din!

I used fiberglass auto trim tools to jam gaps and protect snapping-turtle blood blisters, and went in prepared for destruction, but it leaves beautifully nesting bumps and divots that clearly with right adhesive will create a monstrous bond.

On my (SXGF's) glove box, one of the two support brackets had busted, just the top broke off so the latch mech was flopping about, with only a twist-of-the-wrist knack keeping the darn thing closed until a spirited yump had it flop open.

Hindsight - here's my 5 cents worth - the controlled application of force with intermediate consecutive small surprises with a wow-everything's-OK explosive finale!

Once in there this allows for a range of fixes using OEM or other parts. I worked from side to side... now looking at and with the benefit of MM's pics, you might see a strategy to pop the joints in a more orderly manner and reduce the big ending, but it seems it is ok whatever way it's done.

Take your time and keep the gaps jammed open (with whatever) as much as you can, both to keep pressure on the next joint to pop, so adding to whatever force you apply with your hands, to keep the gap open so you can get your hands in there, and also to prevent it snapping back on your fingers or worse a little pinch of flesh. It almost got me once, and I'm darn sure it would have hurt. Thing is after doing it once, you see how easy it is, but most of us would likely only do it once, so it's an adventure for sure.

Also it lets go with some gusto, so eye protection's probably a good idea should a little piece of plastic fly out at high speed. That said, I didn't find even one tiny piece of loose material falling out when I did it - apart from the little sector from broken lock support. Clean breaks all.

Plus nothing to lose really - still the wrecking yard or eBay and other higher $ choices if you have a fail.

Will post pic of before and after repair - will take MM's advice re bonding materials - thank you!

Old 01-23-2024, 04:18 PM
DiscoDave
1st Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
I know this is an ancient thread and I did search to see if there is more up to date information...

How has this repair held up? I have my doubts that it could last for long. I hope I'm wrong!

Thanks,
Dave
'05 R52 with a permanently closed glovebox

Old 01-24-2024, 07:41 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,091 Likes on 1,865 Posts
hello,

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...t-holding.html

Here is the old thread on the fix. That top portion you can get the catch but the hook is part of it. Another option: Also we carry the euro ones linked that deletes it all together.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 01-25-2024, 01:01 AM
Bobby_Hopp
Neutral
Interesting solution, thanks! It's good that you found a way to show us this video.