General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

[MotoringFile] An Early Look at the F56 MINI’s Driver Assistant Systems

Search this Thread

Old 10-11-2013, 10:57 AM
Karrock
4th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
[MotoringFile] An Early Look at the F56 MINI’s Driver Assistant Systems

If you’re a long time MotoringFile reader you’ll likely remember our report earlier this spring with a detailed list of new options (including options codes) that the F56 MINI would feature. Today MINI is taking the wraps off of a few key pieces of technology revolving around driver assistance.

One of the key features of this and the center-piece of F56′s interior design is the light ring. Yes MINI is ditching the center speedo. But they still want the interior to functionally revolve around the center of the car. Enter the Light Ring. With this technology MINI has invented character in the F56 that is designed to set the car apart while not being difficult to get use to. But there’s more than that in this release. We also get an early look at MINI’s version of heads-up display and the new camera system used front and back.

But back to the Light Ring. Having seen it first had I can attest to it being incredibly cool and surprisingly useful. The use cases surprisingly work with a variety of infotainment functionality on the F56. In other words it’s something that, in practice, doesn’t feel gimmicky but actually useful.

We’ll have much more on the this new tech soon. Until then read on for the full release and gallery at MotoringFile.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:29 PM
Mcameron
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I really wish they would keep the large center speedo....sure it's overly large, a little gaudy, and that space can be better used......but it's unique and gives the car character.... It's what separates it from the Toyota corolas of the world...... I'm just worried in 5-6 years that the mini will no longer be " not normal".

Also, the large center speedo is quite useful for road rallying, as my co driver knows instantly how fast I'm going for TSD calculations.

Old 10-11-2013, 12:44 PM
MINILLA
4th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
More complicated electronics to learn............