General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Am I out of luck? Roof rack or Hitch rack are the only options?

Search this Thread

Old 01-03-2014, 06:17 PM
James Tebary
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Am I out of luck? Roof rack or Hitch rack are the only options?

I've read quite a lot about the bike racks on the forums, and everyone has a preference, but are there no options for using a hatch rack? Has anyone tried it with success? I really don't want either a hitch or a roof rack. I've always used the strap kind on cars before and I'm stubborn. Thanks everyone.

Old 01-03-2014, 06:49 PM
chrunck
6th Gear
Received 230 Likes on 194 Posts
You mean the kind that rub on the car and scratch the paint? I don't imagine those are too popular with people who actually care about their cars.

Old 01-03-2014, 07:10 PM
R56BrgMcs
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
Look up "stealth rack" The only part that contacts the car is on the top of the bumper, if you have the factory clear bra it's not going to rub the paint. I've been using one for 18 months. Go to a local bike shop and they should know what you're talking about. Here's a link https://sites.google.com/site/bicycl...ckinstallation

Last edited by R56BrgMcs; 01-03-2014 at 07:12 PM. Reason: Added link
Old 01-03-2014, 07:17 PM
Tylerlanger1
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I wouldn't trust my bike on that thing. Thule hitch mount is the only way to go and the most secure way to do it.

Old 01-04-2014, 05:44 AM
James Tebary
1st Gear
Thanks for the replies. I'm not going to spend a fortune getting a hitch rack for an 11 year old used car, no matter how much I love the car.

I found some hatchback options from Allen racks I'm going to try, they're inexpensive and they're folding units, which is nice considering the storage space issue.
Allen Sports Ultra Compact Folding 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack : Amazon.com : Automotive Allen Sports Ultra Compact Folding 2-Bike Trunk Mount Rack : Amazon.com : Automotive
if anyone else is curious. I've used this type of rack before and never had problems with paint or scratches, because I'm not a moron as some people would imply. If I get one when it gets warmer where I live, I'll post some pics so people can see how it works for older Minis.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:00 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Bike Rack & Mini Fini

I ride a Project One Madone, Di2, Six Series.

My solution is the Mini Fini hitch to add to the Mini. Yes, Mini Fini has options for a bike rack but you can add either a 1 1/4 or 2 inch square and plug in what ever bike rack you want.

Yamika even makes a trailer to look like the roof of a car.
http://www.austinkayak.com/products/...ign=Shopping&/

But you need a hitch. There are other hitch options such as MDM. I happen to drive a S Coupe and that makes adding a hitch a little more of a challenge.

Having a hitch add some protection if you are rear ended too. That is if you desire to be the one to drive away and not be towed away at the scene.

I have a Thule rack that puts pressure on the tires to keep the bike in place. Many racks I feel the front wheel could swing around rubbing against the car. I also need a rack that is friendly to Carbon Fiber. I have to use a special bike stand as well.

In the past I have had hitches installed at U-Haul and they did a fine job. This car is more complicated. But for me, I like hitch mounted bikes best.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:11 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Brompton

The hitch might be a plus when you sell the car? If you have a hitch rack call U-Haul. There are very reasonable about prices.

Some other options? Try riding a Brompton. Smallest folding bike with six speeds.

This website has great folding bikes. http://www.nycewheels.com and no need to keep the bike on the outside of the car.

I keep my Brompton under my desk. Fits in the car (S Coupe) very easy. Great for riding trails at the park.

My other bike is a Madone. It won't fit in the car unless I take the wheels off. Just consider a folding bike, watch a few videos about them. Go to a local bike shop and try a few.

Just providing some alternatives. I don't regret getting mine. Great for exercise. They hold up well, last bike you will ever buy too!

BTW

Here is a like to a great video about a Brompton and the Mini Cooper. Worth a watch as it is funny.

Old 01-04-2014, 06:19 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Brompton

Brompton Bikes are like Classic Mini Cooper. Made in London, at the start. There is a very interesting book and DVD out about them. Again, about as classic as Mini Cooper.

In 1976 Andrew Ritchie founded the company, named after the Brompton Oratory,[2] a landmark visible from his bedroom workshop where the first prototypes were built. At the time he was working as a gardener. Ritchie obtained backing from friends and sought to license the design, but after five years began manufacturing the bicycle design himself. Production ground to a halt in 1982 after which Ritchie continued to explore possibilities for continued manufacturing whilst undertaking other jobs.
Finally in 1986, again with backing from friends and former customers, enough was raised to resume production on a larger scale. With a bank loan underwritten by Julian Vereker (founder of Naim Audio), production was restarted in a railway arch in Brentford. By early 1988, mass-production Brompton bicycles were once again in circulation.
In March 2009, Brompton Bicycle achieved a record monthly turnover of just under £1 million; the employees were rewarded with fish and chips.[24] In the same month, the company stated that it was hoping to continue a 25% rate of growth;[25] partially enabled by switching to just-in-time stocking for some of the parts being sourced from suppliers, and by having those suppliers hold the stock until it is needed rather than parts living for periods at the Brompton factory.[26]
The company was awarded The Queen's Award for Export in 1995.[27]
In the Queen's Birthday Honours of 21 April 2010, the company was awarded two Queen's Awards for Enterprise, in the Innovation and International Trade categories.[28] This was the second time Brompton had won the International Trade Award, they first received it in 1995. It is very rare for a company to receive two of these awards in one year.

http://brompton.com/about-us/history

Old 01-04-2014, 07:45 AM
James Tebary
1st Gear
That was definitely a funny video, but I already have a nice Cannondale mountain bike. I think the Allen racks will work just fine for me. I really just need something simple for getting over to my local trail in town, the one I already have might work, but my old BMW 318ti is a different kind of hatchback and I have that nice spoiler to deal with now.

Old 01-04-2014, 08:13 AM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Rack

Yeah,

Cool video. Most of the racks should not damage the car. Use a bungee cord or something to lock the front wheel from turning. Watch the pedals and wrap one in a towel if it is too close to the car.

The manufacturers website might tell you if it fits the car. Thule and Yakima do that as well.

I have used similar racks in the past with no issues. Some are pretty universal to fit just about all cars.

Make sure to lock the bike to the rack just in case you need to stop for any reason. Even just a dash into the local gas station.

Old 01-04-2014, 10:17 AM
Gambedegallina
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I got a Saris Bones rack for my 2013 MCS. This is for for occasional use. Two feet sit on top of the bumper and one rests on the hatch window. Securing front and rear wheels is essential. Straps are my biggest concern, as even the coated fittings can chip or damage paint. If I were regularly carrying my bike on Mini, I would get roof or hitch rack. Probably roof, since if you're a Mini owner and a cyclist you might as well let it be known and I don't like the assembly /modification required for hitch racks on the Mini.

Old 01-04-2014, 01:27 PM
kg4fxg
4th Gear
Almost Pro Cyclist

Originally Posted by Gambedegallina
I got a Saris Bones rack for my 2013 MCS. This is for for occasional use. Two feet sit on top of the bumper and one rests on the hatch window. Securing front and rear wheels is essential. Straps are my biggest concern, as even the coated fittings can chip or damage paint. If I were regularly carrying my bike on Mini, I would get roof or hitch rack. Probably roof, since if you're a Mini owner and a cyclist you might as well let it be known and I don't like the assembly /modification required for hitch racks on the Mini.
My car might present some problems with any mount on rack. I have the S Coupe and the rear spoiler deploys at 50 mph. I guess one could pull a fuse to kill it, I tend to opt for Hitch Mounted Racks.

It would be difficult if not impossible to get a roof rack on the Coupe. I did see a guy had something of the sort on a Nissan Z or Porsche. Had some sort of plunger on the windshield as the roofs are so short. And it looked very nice too.

I tend to be very careful with my bike. This bikes are very expensive. Mine was somewhere around 8K. My first choice would be a roof rack to keep the bike safe. Just have to remember not to drive into the garage with them up there.

In the future I most likely will get another folding bike for my daughter as these seem to work great on the paved bike trails. And they fit great in the car no rack needed. And no I can't ride the Madone with her. I tend to spin at 105 and these speeds would make a bike path a bit unsafe for others.

Old 01-04-2014, 03:58 PM
James Tebary
1st Gear
Do you have the exact model on that rack? I'd check it out, but I'll look it up anyway if you don't have it.

Old 01-04-2014, 09:08 PM
Gambedegallina
2nd Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Saris rack;good bikes

Here is Saris rack. I don't like to use it, is a last resort, when my truck and/or hitch rack for other car and truck with wheel trays, as don't like hanging carbon frame from top tube. See decal on Mini for explanation.

Attached Thumbnails Am I out of luck? Roof rack or Hitch rack are the only options?-image.jpg  
Old 01-06-2014, 08:26 AM
James Tebary
1st Gear
Here is Saris rack. I don't like to use it, is a last resort, when my truck and/or hitch rack for other car and truck with wheel trays, as don't like hanging carbon frame from top tube. See decal on Mini for explanation.
Thanks for the pic, that is a really interesting rack. I have such bad print fever already, I can't wait to go bike again.