General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2003 Mini cooper S 6 speed transmission

Search this Thread

Old 01-09-2014, 08:37 AM
MCS1985
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Mini cooper S 6 speed transmission

I am a new Mini owner and wanted to know a little information on the 6 speed manual transmission. I notice the shifting on my 2003 S is a bit stiffer than other cars I have driven in the past. My main concern is 2nd gear. It seems when shifting from 1st to 2nd the stick feels like it jumps a bit when i put it into gear. No grinding noise, doesn't feel like the clutch is slipping, never pops out either, but being a first time owner i'm a little apprenhensive. Is that normal when shifting into gear that i feel it move twice? I get the initial bite and then it feels as if it moves down again when it locks in gear. If anyone has any info i would appreciate it...I'm taking it into the dealership just to have it looked over again...I've only had the car 5 days.

Old 01-09-2014, 08:53 AM
mrathburn
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by MCS1985
I am a new Mini owner and wanted to know a little information on the 6 speed manual transmission. I notice the shifting on my 2003 S is a bit stiffer than other cars I have driven in the past. My main concern is 2nd gear. It seems when shifting from 1st to 2nd the stick feels like it jumps a bit when i put it into gear. No grinding noise, doesn't feel like the clutch is slipping, never pops out either, but being a first time owner i'm a little apprenhensive. Is that normal when shifting into gear that i feel it move twice? I get the initial bite and then it feels as if it moves down again when it locks in gear. If anyone has any info i would appreciate it...I'm taking it into the dealership just to have it looked over again...I've only had the car 5 days.
mine does the same thing..just with 2nd gear. Not sure if it's normal...hope to see some insight.

Old 01-09-2014, 03:35 PM
Slave to Felines
6th Gear
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts
Mine does not do that.

My first thought is that there is some wear to the synchros and other bits inside the trans that causes that. Many cars wear out 2nd gear synchros first, as it is the gear shifted into most often. (Upshifts and downshifts too.)

You might try changing the fluid and see what comes out with it. Metal pieces are bad, lots of glitter is bad. A little glitter is expected. The fluid change itself may help some, and will likely help the trans last longer anyway.