General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Installed SprintBooster.

Search this Thread

Old 02-06-2014, 01:03 PM
iclancy82
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Installed SprintBooster.

This would be my first post. I understand this probably belongs under the Mods section but since it applies to ALL MINI's I figured I'd place on the big board.

I purchased the SprintBooster from Bavarian Autosport (I used them a lot for my e21 and e30 back in the day) for $289. No sales tax, Arrived next day. I have a BRG II R56 Cooper S 6-speed.

Installation was easy, we all know that. My only mod up until now is a K&N cold air intake. So my opinion? Holy $%#@!!! The difference in throttle response is like night and day. The gas pedal/"throttle" has now become a precision instrument, not some gummy "I'll get to your command in a second, sir" pedal. Response is linear and smooth, not jerky like some may expect. In real world driving the MINI is MUCH quicker with this mod, I have no reservations about saying that. It literally feels like 30-40hp were magically placed under the hood. For those who say "just push the pedal harder" obviously haven't tried it. You can push it harder all you want but the delay will still be there and the boost you're looking for just isn't there. This definitely gets a thumbs up for me. While the K&N intake added a good 12hp, the SprintBooster feels much more significant even though it added oh I dunno, zero hp. The blowoff valve sound is also more prominent since it's easier to modulate boost with the go pedal.

Cheers! and happy motoring.

Last edited by iclancy82; 02-06-2014 at 01:10 PM.
Old 02-06-2014, 01:59 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
In my 08 non-S automatic, that sprint booster is an incredible piece of joy! It makes such an incredible difference, I almost never wish for more power. The car is nimble!

Old 02-06-2014, 02:34 PM
BubbaJCW
4th Gear
CAI added 12 hp?
I'm not a mechanic at all.
But opening up the fresh air adds hp with out any tuning?
Not being disrespectful, but I'll add dual CAI's thank you.

Old 02-16-2014, 12:49 PM
Tab32
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Adding a cai does increase horsepower, but not by much. Maybe 5 hp? The stock intake is designed to keep the intake quiet, by restricting airflow.

Dual cai won't do much unless you have dual throttle bodya

Old 02-16-2014, 01:04 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Received 115 Likes on 93 Posts
Originally Posted by iclancy82
This would be my first post. I understand this probably belongs under the Mods section but since it applies to ALL MINI's I figured I'd place on the big board. I purchased the SprintBooster from Bavarian Autosport (I used them a lot for my e21 and e30 back in the day) for $289. No sales tax, Arrived next day. I have a BRG II R56 Cooper S 6-speed. Installation was easy, we all know that. My only mod up until now is a K&N cold air intake. So my opinion? Holy $%#@!!! The difference in throttle response is like night and day. The gas pedal/"throttle" has now become a precision instrument, not some gummy "I'll get to your command in a second, sir" pedal. Response is linear and smooth, not jerky like some may expect. In real world driving the MINI is MUCH quicker with this mod, I have no reservations about saying that. It literally feels like 30-40hp were magically placed under the hood. For those who say "just push the pedal harder" obviously haven't tried it. You can push it harder all you want but the delay will still be there and the boost you're looking for just isn't there. This definitely gets a thumbs up for me. While the K&N intake added a good 12hp, the SprintBooster feels much more significant even though it added oh I dunno, zero hp. The blowoff valve sound is also more prominent since it's easier to modulate boost with the go pedal. Cheers! and happy motoring.
This is good to hear, I get my SB next week, because I do so much city driving I wanted something to make stop and light traffic smoother.
The intake is for sound and looks, I would guess most aftermarket Intakes lose power because they soak in so much heat. I only got the CAI for sound, not power.

Sent from my iPhone Office

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 02-16-2014, 01:29 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Good review. I just hope this doesn't turn into every other mod thread on the internet where debate rages over how much HP was gained by the intake. He's not reviewing the intake, so don't talk about it.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:09 PM
BubbaJCW
4th Gear
@agbullet25
Sorry if my post wasn't about what the OP posted about.
But I went back and re-read it and in fact he states the CAI adds 12 hp!
Plus he was talking about the booster, so should I have picked out one part of his post and not another?
I've been around the forums and gave seen those threads about the CAI, and what I've read so far says it's NOT a hp booster!
So there fore was my post, sorry if it turned into what every post on the internet has, but I didn't bring it up......he did!

P.S. The dual CAI was just humor, if u get 12 hp just imagine what u'd get with two! ��

Last edited by BubbaJCW; 02-16-2014 at 03:18 PM.
Old 02-16-2014, 03:21 PM
Agbullet25
5th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Originally Posted by BubbaJCW
@agbullet25
Sorry if my post wasn't about what the OP posted about.
But I went back and re-read it and in fact he states the CAI adds 12 hp!
Plus he was talking about the booster, so should I have picked out one part of his post and not another?
I've been around the forums and gave seen those threads about the CAI, and what I've read so far says it's NOT a hp booster!
So there fore was my post, sorry if it turned into what every post on the internet has, but I didn't bring it up......he did!
His mention of the intake HP figure was merely to compare the effect of adding an intake to adding this Sprint Booster. Im sure his HP claim is merely what K&N advertises on their site because those that are new to our world of tuning dont know any better than to go off what they read from the manufacturers.

Old 02-16-2014, 04:49 PM
iclancy82
2nd Gear
Yes, I was quoting K&N. They claim 11.17hp at the wheels on a dyno. My butt dyno say's 5-8 hp. I did the mod for sound and better mid-range response, which it has done quite well.

http://www.knfilters.com/dynocharts/69-2004_dyno.pdf

Old 02-17-2014, 05:20 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Is the change more dramatic then hitting the Sports Button? Mine comes on the 21st

2013 GP2 #295, 270whp/310wtq, KO4 47mm Turbo, 18" NM Wheels, Alta intake, Manic Stage III+, HFS-3 Meth, 30% E85 Blend, Forged IC, Alta Hot Pipe, P&P/Ceramic Exhaust Manifold, m3 Extreme Ceramic DP, Vibrant mid res, 4" Double walled Tips, WMW/KW V3 CO, Alta Rear CA, CREE Fogs, Black out F/R Rings and Gas Cap, M7 CF Front Splitter, and No Stickers. MORE TO COME!! Previous 04Triple Black 17% Alta, MM Air/H2O, CAI, OBX Header, FBT Head, Shrick Cam, 234whp
Old 02-17-2014, 06:14 PM
MarcMini
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
About the cold air intake system, anybody noticed when the air is cooler your car seems to have more punch? I have a bone stock 2000 Honda Insight and even with that, I notice it slightly more responsive in cooler weather than warm weather. Going by that, I can see how the CAI adds some, I had one on my 88 CRXsi and noticed something, but never measured the amount of HP. Cant say it added 15, 10, or 5 HP, but there was something.
That being said, I'll look into one of these boosters someday after I get my Mini. Assuming my Mini will be turbo and not supercharged, still not sure exactly which one I'll be getting.

Old 02-17-2014, 07:03 PM
MarioKart
Vendor
Originally Posted by MarcMini
About the cold air intake system, anybody noticed when the air is cooler your car seems to have more punch? I have a bone stock 2000 Honda Insight and even with that, I notice it slightly more responsive in cooler weather than warm weather. Going by that, I can see how the CAI adds some, I had one on my 88 CRXsi and noticed something, but never measured the amount of HP. Cant say it added 15, 10, or 5 HP, but there was something. That being said, I'll look into one of these boosters someday after I get my Mini. Assuming my Mini will be turbo and not supercharged, still not sure exactly which one I'll be getting.
Colder air is denser and has more O2, but to make power you need more fuel also. Aftermarket intakes and exhaust used to make a difference, but cars are built so efficient now a days, it's difficult to squeeze power with just bolt on's. Intake and exhaust are mostly for looks and sound and I love the sound of both. The turbo has a great spool and blow off sound and the supercharger makes a nice gear whine noise. If you want power, better mpg and dirt cheap to make hp, then get a turbo Sent from my iPhone Office

Old 02-17-2014, 07:15 PM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I live in Arizona where the summer temps reach 110 + on a regular basis. During the summer my 04 JCW becomes a dog. It gets to the point that I would rather not have the supercharger during the summer. That is until I added the D1 Spec 7 Drive, same thing as the Sprint Booster but with a lot more settings. Now it can be 120 degrees and all I have to do is change the setting on the D1. These throttle body controllers are one of the best and most noticeable mods that I have ever put on a vehicle for under $200 and can be installed in approximately 15 minutes. When the temps get back to the 80s, the D1 really kicks in!

Old 02-18-2014, 02:04 PM
Ive's Mini
5th Gear
Received 42 Likes on 25 Posts
In NJ we have had incredibly cold temps. I found the magic temp is 13 degrees F. That little car is a bear at 13 degrees. If only we can cool air down that cold all year round.

Old 02-23-2014, 03:04 AM
MarioKart
Vendor
Installed mine last night and it made a big difference. The SB has three settings, off, stage 1, stage II. And then it's your choice to use sports button.
The car feels much lighter almost too much. I'm playing around with all the settings. The gas pedal is very sensitive, and could get you into trouble if you are not aware of your surrounding, car becomes a little twitchy.
The sound is all much more aggressive when your racing through the gears. It sounds like half the throttle is held down between gear changes
I'm on the Fence about this product, but it does work very well