General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking to buy Mini S for DD, suggestions / tips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 07:03 AM
BaylorCamaro
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking to buy Mini S for DD, suggestions / tips?

Hey all,

I looking for a nice small car with decent MPG for my daily. My current car is a 2013 Camaro ZL1, which is a fun toy, but getting 12-13 mpg city kinda sucks. However I'm building this as a track car, and thus looking for a good, small, reliable, cheap-ish car for my DD.

I not looking to drop a lot of money, trying to stay under the $20,000 mark. If I go with a Mini, I definitely want it to be an S. I've looked around at other cars, I can score a great deal on a brand new Chevrolet Sonic Hatch, but it gets about the same MPG as a Mini S, and I know the Minis are way more fun. Three of my close friends all have some sort of Mini S, and I wouldn't mind joining the cult.

However I would definitely be buying used. I am also leaning heavily towards an auto tranny, since this is going to be my daily driver. I've read about the auto trans grenading though, I'm not sure if that is isolate to a specific year or not?

The big thing is maintenance and cost, since this will be my "reliable DD". The nice thing about this new Sonic is that it would be under a 5 year / 100,000. mile warranty. Obviously with a used Mini, I probably won't have a warranty or not for very long.

Here's a 2011 Mini S that is low miles that I'm interested in.

__________________________________________________ ___

TL;DR version - I'm looking for suggestions on what to avoid in a Mini, are they reliable? What should I expect to go out etc.

Thanks, and I hope to join the ranks soon!

Old 02-12-2014, 02:33 PM
Th3Stig
1st Gear
I have an 09 MCS that I use as a DD and I think it's just the greatest little somewhat practical without being lame cars out there. But I wouldn't call it cheap or utterly reliable in the Honda or Toyota sense of the term. By '11 BMW sorted out the timing chain and tensioner issues, but you still have the carbon issues because Siemens software seems programmed to run rich at low RPMs. Lots of plastic components in the coolant system seems to suffer under the heat load and gives way usually around 5-7 years out depending. The Aisin automatic is not junk by any means, the issues were with the older model CVT.

Buying used raises lots of debate about whether the maintenance schedule for MINI is sound over the long haul or whether, because it's "free" with the purchase, the brand accountants are overly optimistic about how long to run oil and other fluids before they pay for a change. Which inspires conspiracy theories about long term maintenance costs, given that parts are not cheap, the car is rather fussy about fluid quality and being maintained within spec. and independent shops with brand knowledge are rather hard to find.

You seem like you know what you are doing, so you should be fine with all that. Like I said, knowing all that, it's still the only car for me as a DD. hope you get the red one...

Old 02-12-2014, 10:55 PM
cgusto
1st Gear
I think it’s pretty much the perfect DD. A blast to drive, great mileage, and still extremely practical. I’d recommend the 2011+. They have the N18 engine and seem to have the ‘bugs’ worked out. That being said, the N18 has less tuning options - not a big deal for your DD. Just be on top of the oil and it will run fine. The autos are good, unless you want the supercharged 02-06 models. Those auto trannys were junk

The 100k warranty on the Sonic is no joke. There is something nice about just having to worry about gas.

However, if you want to actually ENJOY your DD everyday, get the MINI

Old 02-12-2014, 11:30 PM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
The N18 2011-2013 had some issues itself. Thermostat, timing tensioner(recall), valve covers replaced, solenoid valve(recall), and crappy OEM rear sway endlinks are junk too. That's all the problems mine had. Since 52k miles, I had no more issues, but you never know. For a MCS, I'd say stay away so you don't waste money and time on it. It's not reliable enough to get you from point A to B. And definitely NOT C. So my recommendation would be that Sonic you're looking at.

Good luck.

Old 02-13-2014, 01:20 AM
cambo
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
dude, stay away from the mini.

I, too, had a 13-14 mpg toy that I grew tired of commuting with and so sought a DD. I almost bought a p.o.s kia rio or whatver it's called but, like an idiot, test drove the mini while I was waiting for paperwork to be drawn.

I was hooked from the first corner I took. I was thinking with my small head...not my big one. pfft...guys.

My advice, as this has happened to me and it'll happen to you. Avoid the mini. Why? Because you will be caught up in it's modding culture where, if you're under the age of 75, it is almost blasphemous to NOT mod it.

I continue to put my motorcycle and truck mods on hold as I dump more money into this thing that, honestly, I don't even know will last me the next 2k miles! These things are unreliable as hell! But it's so g'damn fun; I mean it's a street legal go kart...and you want to make it more go karty!

In summation: Ditch the mini. Get a DD you could give two ***** about. Continue to build your track ZL1 and not have to decide between the two.

Unless of course you're baller status, which you probably are because you've got a '13 ZL1 and are looking for yet another car....then all the above doesn't apply.

You're going to have two track ready cars though, I guarantee it lol.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:55 AM
MarcMini
2nd Gear
I'm also looking for a used Mini S, but still unsure what year to get as I want reliable, but not expensive.
Saving up to 10k, and selling current car for 45-6. So in total I should have $14,000 to spend and would like change left over for some upgrades.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:12 AM
RobMuntean
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by MarcMini
I'm also looking for a used Mini S, but still unsure what year to get as I want reliable, but not expensive.
Saving up to 10k, and selling current car for 45-6. So in total I should have $14,000 to spend and would like change left over for some upgrades.

I wouldn't get a turbo MINI. I'd look at an 05-06 MCS(Supercharged and manual) or look at a base MINI 09-13. I just wouldn't both going for something reliable when these turbo's from 07-13 aren't worth your money or time. Good luck on your search!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:40 AM
two250
4th Gear
Originally Posted by cambo
My advice, as this has happened to me and it'll happen to you. Avoid the mini. Why? Because you will be caught up in it's modding culture where, if you're under the age of 75, it is almost blasphemous to NOT mod it.
Yup I fell into that too. Paid my truck off and wanted a fun DD, the Mini was the only car that caught my attention. My truck has about 15K sunk into it, so when I got the Mini I said to myself "I'm only doing rims and no other mods". You can see in my signature what happened next, and I have only had my Mini for 6 months!

Old 02-13-2014, 09:46 AM
daonlyillwiz
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Dont get a turbo mini. As mentioned above stick to 05-06. I just bought an 05 mini and i love it. Its not a daily but for the past 2 weeks ive been driving it everyday 60 miles and my realy daily is parked up lol

Old 02-14-2014, 08:20 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Looking for a reliable daily you don't give a crap about but is still fun to drive?

Old 02-14-2014, 02:54 PM
replacement
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I would definitely check out the motoring file R53 buyers guide (MCS '06 and earlier).

Individual results will vary but MINI in general not the best pick for reliability... I'll vouch from both research and limited personal experience. Higher service costs just compound the issue. That said they're great if you accept 'em for what they are and put up with the potential issues... your situation doesn't quite sound like that though.

Old 02-15-2014, 08:51 AM
vistaracer
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by cambo
dude, stay away from the mini.

I, too, had a 13-14 mpg toy that I grew tired of commuting with and so sought a DD. I almost bought a p.o.s kia rio or whatver it's called but, like an idiot, test drove the mini while I was waiting for paperwork to be drawn.

I was hooked from the first corner I took. I was thinking with my small head...not my big one. pfft...guys.

I continue to put my motorcycle and truck mods on hold as I dump more money into this thing that, honestly, I don't even know will last me the next 2k miles! These things are unreliable as hell! But it's so g'damn fun; I mean it's a street legal go kart...and you want to make it more go karty!

In summation: Ditch the mini. Get a DD you could give two ***** about. Continue to build your track ZL1 and not have to decide between the two.

Unless of course you're baller status, which you probably are because you've got a '13 ZL1 and are looking for yet another car....then all the above doesn't apply.

You're going to have two track ready cars though, I guarantee it lol.
+1. I bought my clubman as a DD with the intention of doing a few mostly exterior changes. Bought it in December and I am sooo hooked! I created an excel spread sheet with all the mods, cost and prioritized. I am a sick puppy. Having read all of the issues about reliability, I don't care. It the most fun and yet still practical car I have every owned.

Old 02-15-2014, 09:05 AM
mrhumph
2nd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
I have an r53 06 and a r55 09.

Both are fun but.......

I have had troubles with both.

r55 has had a water pump fail, and the turbo coolant boost pump fail and the turbo oil line fail and fouling of the intake valves and timing chain. Some of that was covered by recall and warranty.

It is a bit faster as there is over boost when you first accelerate.

The r53 has had a water pump fail, (warranty) power steering pump fail, (wallet). I also replaced the suspension and engine mounts with urethane. ( gotta do that).

Jungle drums say that the r53 will be less trouble overall.

You can replace the r53 radio with any aftermarket sound system easily. Easy is not the word if you like high end sound in the newer ones. FN pita if you can do it at all.

Still I have both dont l.

Old 02-16-2014, 07:25 AM
white3
4th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I have a 2010 S, and it has been the most reliable car I have ever had. It just had its 4th birthday, and other than a few cosmetic things that were fixed under warranty, it has been rock solid. You will see some horror stories on this forum, just like on any car forum. Also I'm not saying that the MINI is inexpensive to own, its not after the 3 year free maintenance period is over. But for a fun to drive, good gas mileage, absolutely addicting little car, its hard to beat. And by the way, I used to have a Miata, it had more problems in its first 3 years, and most importantly, Its just not a MINI!