General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

5 speed Getrag Manual Transmission - Cold weather operation - Noise - Shifting

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 04:36 PM
Supertractor3
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 speed Getrag Manual Transmission - Cold weather operation - Noise - Shifting

Howdy All:

SO my first winter with a MINI cooper and thus far, it cuts through the snow with no issues! Have not been stuck in the snow, and we have had plenty here in the Detroit area.

So a few weeks ago, I put a new clutch in her, a Helix Short Throw, steel slide tube for the throw out bearing, and I use Redline MTL fluid. What I have noticed driving in the cold is what I need to ask the rest of you about.

My 06 has the Getrag 5 speed manual. I have 90K and during the warm weather months, that thing is quiet, and smooth when she's idling. I have noticed in the extreme cold (below freezing) that my input shaft is a bit noisy. Kind of sounds like a very low pitch droning that kind of reminds me of a power steering pump that is low on fluid.

Once it warms up after a few miles, quiet as a church mouse again! It shifts a bit stiffer when cold, but nice and smooth again when warmed up. So I started quizzing my trans guys asking what they thought. Man! They were all over the place on opinions! Everything from "YOU CALL THAT NOISE?" to "time to put new bearings in there." Now being an ASE Master Certified Tech myself, and having dealt with Getrag gear boxes in lots of other domestic cars, if they get quiet when warm, at the dealership, we did absolutely nothing but change the fluid and tell the customer to come back if it keeps making noise when its hot too.

Anyone else notice that their Getrag 5 speed is markedly noisier when cold?

Old 03-07-2014, 04:57 PM
dannyhavok
6th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
I can't be much help, but I can tell you I haven't noticed any noises in my 5spd Getrag in the cold.

Old 03-07-2014, 05:28 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Imo if it is noisy when cold....
It is cause the lube is not doing its job....
My guess it is too thick for the clearances it was machined for..I would change the fluid asap...before you dammage a bearing....