General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Need 2013 MCS care tips

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-2014, 03:55 PM
The Mopsinator
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Need 2013 MCS care tips

Hello everyone in Mini Land.
I bought a 2011 MC about a year ago and after putting 25K on it, decided to trade it in this weekend for a 2013 S with only 1,700. I heard mixed reviews about the problems with the R56 engine which this car has. Not good to know after the fact. Anyhooo, I spoke to the guy at the parts counter who used to work in the shop. He said the following:

1. Keep an eye on oil level after every 3 fill ups. Number 1 problems is oil deprivation. Don't overfill it. But it will use oil. He suggested if I can't get to mini to use Mobil1 5w30.
2. Only premium fuel...I kinda figured.
3. Drive the car like I mean it. There tends to be carbon build up so I have to take it out for a serious spin on a weekly basis to make sure it doesn't happen. I think my husband will be more than happy to do this. Apparently the Ss don't like it when people only drive to the grocery store and back.
4. Use this gas additive every 5k. Doesn't have to be mini's but it does have to have techron(?) in it.

With that said, is there anything else anyone would like to add to help start me off on the right foot. I will be putting alot of miles on the car...at least 25K. I appreciate your input.
I'm out.
Love M
PS If this is already answered somewhere please tell me where. I searched the forums but didn't find what I was looking for. It may be there...just don't know how to get there from here.

Old 05-20-2014, 07:11 AM
ljmattox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
This looks like pretty good advice overall. My experience is 2+ years, 50k+ miles on my 2012 MCS that I purchased new.

1. Oil level checking highly recommended! Some use oil between changes, others do not (mine doesn't; I change at 7500 mile intervals instead of the ~15,000 mile interval MINI recommended for my car).

2. Runs best on premium, which is recommended by MINI for this car. If you are in Timbuktu, Nebraska on a road trip and can only get regular, it can stand it (engine control computer will adjust for lower grade fuel. But it won't be all it can be. Go back to premium first chance you get).

3. Jury is still mostly out for newer R56S with the N18 engine (like yours) w/r/t carbon buildup. MINI made changes to the PCV / oil vapor system since first producing this engine series that is believed to help in this regard. That said, *yes* a spirited romp frequently is highly recommended.

4. Also mixed reviews on fuel additives to help keep injectors clean. I've used Techron (a Chevron-branded product) in my fuel-injected cars for a long while and believe it helps (it really seemed to smooth out the idle on my late 80's Benz, I've used it ever since, usually remembering to run it through a tank of gas when I'm doing an oil change). Google this topic and you'll get a range of opinion, as well as, for those who believe these products are helpful, other brands that may be more effective.

HTH.

Old 05-20-2014, 03:02 PM
richardsperry
6th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
All the above, plus change the oil and filter ever 7,500 miles or so.

Except for the gas additive. No real value on a direct injection engine.