General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Looking for info on my MINI

Search this Thread

Old 06-18-2014, 04:05 PM
MINI Gunner
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Looking for info on my MINI

I was looking for parts for my MINI and none of the online auto parts sites show an option for the 2004 Cooper S JCW. After looking and looking I finally found on Wikipedia that pre 2005 all the John Cooper Works are just the S model with a package that the dealership installed (not a factory option). SO it makes sense that I shop for S model parts.

From what I have seen on the car and what I have gathered in the web I have the following GB upgrage:
-Uprated cylinder heads, spark plugs, exhaust, super charger, air intake, injectors and ECU mapping.
-Stiffer/sportier suspension upgrades
-JCW badging

SO my question is, some of those upgrades are from 2005 but I have a 2004. Is this possible?

-Gunner

I know I have upgraded suspension from the standard S model. Is that an option for the JCW or is it likely the previous owner did this mod?

Also, how can I tell what version I have (R50, R52, R53, etc.)

Last edited by MINI Gunner; 06-22-2014 at 08:04 PM.
Old 06-18-2014, 07:22 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
Originally Posted by MINI Gunner
I was looking for parts for my MINI and none of the online auto parts sites show an option for the 2004 Cooper S JCW. After looking and looking I finally found on Wikipedia that pre 2005 all the John Cooper Works are just the S model with a package that the dealership installed (not a factory option). SO it makes sense that I shop for S model parts. From what I have seen on the car and what I have gathered in the web I have the following GB upgrage: -Uprated cylinder heads, spark plugs, exhaust, super charger, air intake, injectors and ECU mapping. -Stiffer/sportier suspension upgrades -JCW badging SO my question is, some of those upgrades are from 2005 but I have a 2004. Is this possible? I know I have upgraded suspension from the standard S model. Is that an option for the JCW or is it likely the previous owner did this mod? Also, how can I tell what version I have (R50, R52, R53, etc.)

The 02-06 S's are all R53's

It's difficult to tell if the suspension was done by the owner or a shop. You'll have to look at it to see if it is a JCW or aftermarket suspension. I believe the JCW has red springs and black strut.

Since all JCW's built previous to fall of 05 were dealer installed options, the parts are all available on the market, and could be installed by anyone (except the ECU tune)
There were two JCW engine kits offered for 1st Gens (and additional 'sound', suspension, body and brake, kits) A 200hp engine upgrade, then in 05 (I think) they redid the ECU map and air box, and SC to create the 210hp kit.

It may be difficult to figure out what one you have.

Post photos of your engine bay, showing the valve cover and air box, then one of the suspension showing the spring and strut. I'd also like to see a photo from the rear of the car to check the badging placement. If the dealer installed the kit, the badges should be in the correct location.

Also look at the exhaust tips to see if it has the JCW markings.

Hopefully you may also have the certificate as well.

It is easy to call a 1st gen a JCW (toss on some badging), but to actually have an actual one is another thing entirely.

Old 06-18-2014, 10:20 PM
2Miniacs
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

Enter the last seven numbers of your VIN in that website and it will give you all the info on your car when it was built. Should be a good starting point for your research.

Old 06-19-2014, 05:18 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 2Miniacs
http://www.bmwarchive.org/vin/bmw-vin-decoder.html

Enter the last seven numbers of your VIN in that website and it will give you all the info on your car when it was built. Should be a good starting point for your research.
But keep in mind that your JCW upgraded items won't be listed on that look-up (although I'm not too sure about the suspension) since they were dealer add-on's after the fact.

Let us know how it goes!

Old 06-19-2014, 05:50 AM
R53
4th Gear
Dealer fit kit wont show up on there.

Only the Factory JCW shows up on there as it was manufactured as a JCW to begin with as well as optional extras that was ordered to the car before manufacturing.

Last edited by R53; 06-19-2014 at 05:55 AM.
Old 06-19-2014, 06:07 AM
05r50
5th Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
As I understand it, all the Gen 1 R53 JCWs are fitted with the same kit. The only difference is that some were installed at the dealership and then later the same kit was fitted at the factory.

BMW didn't take ownership of the JCW brand name until 2007 or 2008. They then developed their JCW option for the Gen 2 cars and it was available in the US on the 2009 model year.

Old 06-19-2014, 06:19 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Originally Posted by 05r50
...As I understand it, all the Gen 1 R53 JCWs are fitted with the same kit...
I'm sorry to say, but this is incorrect.

There were different versions of JCW "kits" available and the combinations/permutations/kit changes and the ability to buy each piece separately makes it difficult to sort out a true first gen JCW.

The 200hp JCW kit included this:

The 210hp JCW kit (available in 2005) included this:

The JCW "sound" kit:

As I had mentioned before, photos of the engine bay, valve cover, airbox etc can help us establish what it has.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:28 AM
MINI Gunner
2nd Gear
The car was built in May of 2004 in Oxford. It is an R53 (S model). This is how the seats are described; Stoff Space/panther Schwarz (S4PN). Not sure what that means but they are the red and black leather seats. They are nice.

There are 2 placards that say this is a special edition, #546 out of 1000. Here is a picture, this one is under the E-brake.

JCW Badge on the dash, passenger side.

GB Sticker on the back.

Another sticker on the front.

Random number on the engine.

Picture of the engine bay (notice the air box).

Sitting low.

The diagrams help, I will take a look at the exhaust, brakes and shocks/struts tomorrow. I will also se if there is any indication of what supercharger I have.

One of the guys at the lot that I bought it from said they know the guy who let it go (idiot) and he had lowered it and put coil overs on so I suspect the suspension is not JCW branded but I will look anyway. My MINI is for sure lower than any other MINI I have see but I have never seen another GB so I can't compare.

I may try and track down the previous owner and see if he has the certificate you speak of, and smack him for not taking better care of the car. It is in good condition but I can tell there was some neglect (not anymore).

As for the sound, this thing sounds like no car I have ever heard before. Every person who has gone for a ride makes some comment about it. It almost sounds more like a motor cycle but not really, more like a small jet engine, I just can't describe it. I might have to do a sound sample.

James, let me know your take on the pictures.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:52 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Can you post or PM your VIN for me please?

Old 06-21-2014, 04:09 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Sweet looking ride!

The bad news is you don't have a traditional JCW. I'll post more detail on why it's not a JCW later for others finding this thread in the future.

The good news is you appear to have something more rare: MC40 #546 (albeit missing some stickers/magnets)

I don't have time to do a detailed post right now but start your reading here:
http://www.motoringfile.com/index.php?s=mc40

It also looks like it's time for ECS to help out on this thread with some part numbers and image posting goodness....

Old 06-21-2014, 06:31 AM
Mib4840
Alliance Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Your MINI does not appear to be a JCW. The inter cooler cover and engine badging and serial number for the JCW kit are missing. The exhaust tips are regular R53 S tips. The JCW badging is missing on the boot and front grill. It looks like the photo of the JCW badge is on the carbon fiber dash. You can buy those and add on to the car. That is what I did. My JCW is an 04 with a build date of 09/03 so it was built into a JCW at the dealer once it arrived. Because it was one of the first JCW kits being installed it did not get all of the JCW goodies that the later models received. I am slowly adding those pieces to make it complete. I have added the following JCW parts to my car; JCW carbon fiber dash, JCW carbon fiber wing, I added the Alta air intake like yours instead of the JCW air box because I probably would have changed it out even if I had it. I added the JCW brakes and I have got the JCW 380 fuel injectors that I will install soon. You have a very nice looking car, hope you enjoy the ride.

Old 06-21-2014, 12:05 PM
MINI Gunner
2nd Gear
That is disappointing and awesome at the same time. It is hard to believe there is a model quicker than this one. Now the question is, do I mod or do I keep it original. I guess it has already been molested so I may do the 15% pulley upgrade, after I fix the coolant leak.

I still wonder what the number painted on the engine is from. I heard the place gets some of their cars from auctions, so I wonder if that is what it is. I want to go back and tare the place a new one for saying it was a JCW but the price I bought it for was bellow Blue Book for a standard S model and it sounds like it may be worth more.

Last edited by MINI Gunner; 06-21-2014 at 12:19 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 12:34 PM
cerenkov
6th Gear
Received 25 Likes on 24 Posts
I'm wondering if it is a replacement engine (or part). Places that sell used engines (parts) will write on them like that. The factory doesn't do that.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:20 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Originally Posted by cerenkov
I'm wondering if it is a replacement engine (or part). Places that sell used engines (parts) will write on them like that. The factory doesn't do that.
This is what I was thinking. It appears that the engine may have been replaced with one from a junkyard.

Old 06-21-2014, 03:51 PM
jamez
5th Gear
Here's a shot of what a traditional 210hp JCW engine bay should look like.

Note:
  1. The valve cover
  2. The airbox
  3. The intercooler cover / air diverter

and the JCW COA

JCW exhaust tips

Originally Posted by MINI Gunner
Now the question is, do I mod or do I keep it original. I guess it has already been molested so I may do the 15% pulley upgrade, after I fix the coolant leak.
In your photos we can tell that you have an Alta cold air intake, and honestly my guess is that you'll already have an aftermarket supercharger pulley. The SC pulley is usually the first mod done. If you look really closely at the SC pulley you may be able to see markings on it telling you the %.

------------------------------------

From what I've been able to find, the MC40 is essentially an appearance package. My guess is that it was the introduction to the "facelift" before the facelift went into regular production.

I wouldn't be too beaten up about it not having the normal JCW package(s), those performance upgrades are available after the fact for less money in the aftermarket - or through the dealer if you want to spend $6K. You have a limited edition car, and from what I can tell (I don't have the VIN yet) it is a legit MC40. JCW's are not as limited or rare as what you have.

And honestly - what's more cool? The MC40 was a tribute to Mini's rally heritage.

In the MC40, there were no performance upgrades from the factory. The MC40 model included:
  • Chili Red Body with White Roof
  • Sport Package
    • Dynamic Stability Control
    • Xenon Headlights with Power Washers
    • Front and Rear Fog Lights
    • On-board Computer
  • 17" Anthracite R90 Wheels
  • Driving Lights
  • Chrome Exterior Details
    • Front Grill
    • Side-view Mirror Caps
    • Boot Handle
    • "GB" Boot Badge
  • Magnetic Body Decals
    • "40th Anniversary" Decals (3)
    • "37" Door Decals
    • "33 EJB" Number Plate Hood Decal
  • Red and Black Leather Sport Seats
  • Carbon Fiber JCW Dash
  • 3-Spoke Leather Sport Steering Wheel
  • Auxiliary Gauges
  • Matte Chrome Shift **** with MC40 Logo
  • Rubber Floor Mats with MC40 Logo
  • Individually Numbered Commemorative Plaque with Paddy Hopkirk’s Signature
You may be missing some parts. You may be out of luck for some of the decals/magnets, but ecs may have you covered for others:
http://www.ecstuning.com/Search/SiteSearch/Mc40/

ES#196786

ES#46463

Hope this helps out a bit, let me know if you have any more questions.

Last edited by jamez; 06-21-2014 at 03:58 PM.
Old 06-21-2014, 03:57 PM
jamez
5th Gear
... and holey crap you guys even have your own fan site:

http://mc40.com/

Old 06-21-2014, 07:18 PM
MINI Gunner
2nd Gear
I found all the same info. My MINI is actually on the fan site from the previous owner as being in Vacaville. The things I am missing and oddities;

• "40th Anniversary" Decals (3), "40th Anniversary" stem caps and "37" Door Decals - Missing (possibly stolen)
  • "GB" Boot Badge and "33 EJB" Number Plate Hood Decal - hood decal is distressed which is not what I have seen on others (it looks like the sticker was made to look distressed), the GB on the back door is plastic and has a dark colored distressed top coat (possible the originals got stolen and that is what was replaced? not sure)

I am ordering the stem caps and looking for a set of the chrome GBs. As for the other decals and magnets, not sure I am going to add those or not. Might pick them up just to have them.

James, I will PM you the VIN now. I agree with enjoying the limited edition more than the JCW. I'm going to take a look at the spindle when I can get to it. My wife has a 2007 3.5l Altima and honestly, my MINI feels faster so I wouldn't be surprised if there are some engine mods.

Oh ya, almost forgot. The springs are orange (or possibly red, I'm sometimes color blind). The struts all say MINI. The brakes are standard S (not red). I can't see the shocks since they are inside the strut. Looking at pictures of other MC40s mine is for sure lowered. You can mostly tell from the back as the back tire sits at the same height as the wheel well.

Thanks for all your help everyone. It is very much appreciated.

Old 06-23-2014, 08:43 AM
jamez
5th Gear
You probably have a set of lowering springs. If the struts say Mini, that's likely the case.

I think that the investigation is complete - with the exception of the SC pulley.

Great job - great find!
Happy Motoring!

Old 06-23-2014, 09:28 AM
MINI Gunner
2nd Gear
I measured the pulley and it is approximately 5cm. I think it's stock. Does any one know if this is the stock pulley?

Old 06-23-2014, 10:04 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,860 Posts
Originally Posted by jamez
Sweet looking ride!

The bad news is you don't have a traditional JCW. I'll post more detail on why it's not a JCW later for others finding this thread in the future.

The good news is you appear to have something more rare: MC40 #546 (albeit missing some stickers/magnets)

I don't have time to do a detailed post right now but start your reading here:
http://www.motoringfile.com/index.php?s=mc40

It also looks like it's time for ECS to help out on this thread with some part numbers and image posting goodness....

Hello , You can refer to this page for parts linked to our site.

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rs-club-7.html

&&

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...rs-club-8.html

Some more items have been recently NLA , so if you are looking for items, Get them, as we are seeing more and more older stuff NLA'd.

Thanks

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172