General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

No Rear Seat? Weird Rally Light Placement? Should I Worry?

Search this Thread

Old 12-28-2014, 11:22 AM
Von Trapp
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
No Rear Seat? Weird Rally Light Placement? Should I Worry?

As the title states, there's a low mileage 2006 Mini Cooper S I'm looking at purchasing, but I have some questions to see if they are deal breakers.

The car is quite a few hours away from me, so I can't just go in person to inspect - I'm relying on a few pictures the seller has sent. Here's the first quetions:

1. No rear seat? Yes, the 1st owner removed the rear seat, and the 2nd owner (a neighbor/friend of the 1st owner) doesn't have the rear seat.

Anything I should worry about/ask the seller in order to add a rear seat back?

2. Weird Rally Light Placement? As well, the rally lights look like they are mounted much lower (and possibly through the bumper). If I preferred a through the upper grill look - I'm guessing this would be an easy fix?

Thanks so much for your help and time!

Old 12-28-2014, 11:38 AM
Mini3333
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Do you really need the rear seat? Ask about the seat belts.

It looks like the lights are designed to be mounted as is. However, I'm not sure.

Good luck and I hope it all works out for you...It's a nice looking car!

Old 12-28-2014, 11:41 AM
Von Trapp
1st Gear
Thanks for the reply Wisconsin. A rear seat is eventually a must. I teach, and occasionally need to drive for field-trips (about a handful amount of times each year).

As for the lights - I agree - the mount makes it look like it was supposed to be there - just haven't seen them that low - usually they are in the upper grill, right?

Old 12-28-2014, 12:04 PM
Mini3333
5th Gear
I do agree that the classic look is to have the rally lights mounted on grill...they look out of place.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:10 PM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
I'd walk away. Looks like the original owner was a wannabe racer. Mounting the lights to the bumper was probably the cheapest way to do it (no need for MINI specific mounts) and says something about the original owners attention to detail. How many other cheap mods did he do?

Old 12-28-2014, 12:36 PM
AndyPWR53
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The back looks pretty dirty and its scratched in a few places. Possibly kept a dog back there?

And those lights are weird. Its solid plastic behind the lower grill so he had to cut the bumper up to install those there. Like dave said, I would wonder what else was messed around with.

If you can get for a good price and it checks out mechanically I'd go for it. Otherwise I'd keep looking. These cars have a lot of quirks so unless you find one that was taken care of its going to cost you big bucks.

Old 12-28-2014, 12:41 PM
Nicefeet
5th Gear
Received 27 Likes on 24 Posts
I'd pass

Old 12-28-2014, 02:32 PM
Mini3333
5th Gear
Obviously the OP has done his homework and he is looking for a Gen 1 MINI. This car will not sell for top dollar due to the condition of the interior.

We're told the milage is low...the exact amount is not stated. If the engine is good....I'd go for it!

Old 12-28-2014, 03:04 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
previous owners liked to roll their own . . .

this GEN1 S has the AERO GRILL which is/was a popular mod ... but this is not the original grill for a GEN1 S (wanna know how to put a GEN1 AERO grill on? PM me or do a search)

The driving lights are not mounted in the 'factory location' or with factory mounts ... I've used 'em .. factory attach to the bonnet .... I could possibly confirm this not being a factory set with a picture of the switch that controls them . . .
{Von Trapp picture is of a GEN2 and OP's a GEN1[2006] ... decide for yourself if they are applicable . . .}

this car has been modified (not counting the seat delete) ... possibly only in the cosmetic areas but potentially in the suspension. You either need to know what you are looking at UNDERNEATH or take it to a mechanic you trust . . .

Last edited by Capt_bj; 12-28-2014 at 03:16 PM.
Old 12-28-2014, 05:13 PM
Von Trapp
1st Gear
Wow - all great insights. Thank you!

The seller says the lights were installed by Mini. Here's the dash switch:

Mileage: 43,000.

Mods: Lights, rear seat delete, intake, and a rally skid plate (2nd PO has taken it off to have easier access the oil filter), and the gauge cluster computer (he's removing). Here's the seller's words:

"Those rear seats were a total pain, and they are long gone. The cargo deck makes the car useful and practical. It was an
accessory, and my friend went for it. It also has a rally plate but it is not installed. I had it removed for the oil change, and decided to not reinstall it but it goes with the car of course. The cold air box is an M7 R 53 cold air intake. It was $290.00 and was professionally installed. The car passed smog just fine with it, and better mileage. The rally plate was $150.00. I don't know what the shop manual cost, but it was expensive too. The car also has accessory mirror covers, and mini floor mats. It has an Ipod dock in the glove box. The fog lights are on brackets which are bolted to the bumper. They were dealer installed and are also Mini."

Old 12-28-2014, 05:31 PM
Mini3333
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Von Trapp
Those rear seats were a total pain, and they are long gone. The cargo deck makes the car useful and practical.
I'd agree with this statement; however, it's a good idea to keep the rear seat if you're concerned about the car's resale value in the future.

Old 12-29-2014, 05:14 AM
v10climber
6th Gear
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Sourcing the rear seat and associated hardware/seatbelts is going to be a pain. I'd look at other cars unless you're getting this one really cheap.

Old 12-29-2014, 06:06 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
I'd have mixed feelings...
You need to spend $$ to add a seat...junk yard parts... Check to see if the seatbelt and anchor points are still there, or if they have been hacked away...
And I'm guessing it has such low miles cause it was a weekend toy...
Could be bad...could be good...depends...
I'd try too look closer...see if you can find evidence of track or autocross events...maybe look at the brakes, etc...the op seems to reference "rally" which to me makes me wonder if he drove the snoot out of it...
Practically....many regular mataince items are often missed on a ultra low mile car...little things like radiator flushes and brake fluid changes....things that can get $$$$ when missed....
I would procede carefully....

Old 12-29-2014, 07:40 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
here are the install instructions for the factory lights ...

http://www.minimania.com/pdfile/NMA3030_INSTR.zip

the factory GEN1 bracket attaches to the bonnet not the bumper

you decide . . .

Old 12-29-2014, 04:22 PM
minihune
OVERDRIVE - Racing Champion
Received 69 Likes on 66 Posts
I'd pass.

I think you can find a better MCS with relatively low miles for about the same cost without having to go through the hassle of installing and sourcing the parts for the rear seat.

I can remove my rear seat in a few minutes when I need to, otherwise I fold them down and there is plenty of room for hauling things. The rest of the time I leave the seats in.

MINI upholstery in the R53 came in three flavors, cloth, leatherette, and lapis leather. By now many R53 seats have been used enough to be falling apart at the seams or along the most used areas, namely the outer side of the driver's seat.

Leatherette is likely to be holding up the best, leather the worst. Beware of seat covers that hide the damaged upholstery. You can buy cloth or leather replacement covers and pay $100 per seat to have them installed.

If you had to find a replacement seat, the upholstery may not match, then you have to live with the difference or cover the seats at added expense.

Old 12-29-2014, 07:54 PM
Cary Cooper
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unless you can inspect the MINI yourself and by your mechanic, I would honestly walk away from this one and keep looking. If you're set on it, negotiate a lower price because of the rear seat. Missing it WILL decrease the value of the MINI. Keep in mind most folks do want them there). Check the dealer AND a salvage yard to get a price range for the seat AND cost for install so you know what it could cost you to replace (high/low). Good comment about the seat belt. MUST be there legally if a seat is installed. If the seat belt was cut off you can't put a seat back in it until you install a new belt. That skid plate deal is actually a little bit concerning. What else did they repair (and install) themselves (they clearly changed the oil themselves)? Who performed the "scheduled" servicse? I would also ask them to give you more photos including ones NOT taken at an angle; directly toward the sides, the front, and rear. I'd ask for more interior photos. Something looks amok with the front bumper. I know the photo in the front was taken at an angle which warps the perspective, but that bumper looks a little crooked (don't tell them that, though). Buying a used car sight unseen is as risky as it gets. There's a lot of assumptions you have to make..... When it comes down to it, of course, it's your decision and your money. Best luck to you either way - even if this one doesn't work, I hope you find exactly what you are looking for! motor on!

Last edited by Cary Cooper; 12-29-2014 at 08:11 PM.
Old 12-29-2014, 08:25 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
My buddy has a R53 and not very happy about his driving lights location (install) due to the excessive vibration while driving. A shared issue from Gen1 MC's as I've read through this forum. In my opinion from the MCS that you are interested in, those lights where installed to minimize or totally eliminate that issue. Several aftermarket light kits use the bumper as a platform for their lights.

HOWEVER, it appears that there is something that is not right with the car. One thing that sticks out is the full integrity of the vehicle isn't present anymore. Unless if you are building a track car… those things can be easily overlooked as long as the seller gives you the deal of the decade.

Good luck and give a serious thought before proceeding.

Old 12-30-2014, 02:01 PM
Von Trapp
1st Gear
Thank you all for the insights and suggestions.

Your hesitations are the same ones I had - just needed that confirmation.

I'll be passing on this one.

Thanks for the help forum!

Old 12-30-2014, 02:14 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
My buddy has a R53 and not very happy about his driving lights location (install) due to the excessive vibration while driving.

The VAST majority of factory installs I've seem did not have the part intended to stop the shake installed!

Unfortunately the OE instructions said this was needed only with the 'sport package' but it was really needed all the time if you were one of the few actually planning to USE the lights. Most sets I installed for folks .. they didn't care if they were wired up at all, or aimed .... they just wanted the look.

see page 14 of the instructions I referenced . . .