General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Automatic Transmission Issue - Battery related?

Search this Thread

Old 03-17-2015, 12:58 PM
Mini33073
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Automatic Transmission Issue - Battery related?

Hello... My wife's 2007 Convertible R52 will "jerk" at times after accelerating from a complete stop. She's had the car a couple months now with no problems until last week when it happened on two separate occasions. I drove the car all day yesterday and it did it once while I was stopped and went to take off. It felt almost like if you "pop" the clutch on a manual.

I started reading around and found this link which is giving me some hope:

http://www.coastmotorwerk.com/mini-cvt/

In one section it says, "We have discovered the problem is related to software corruption caused by low voltage during cranking. In most cases a new battery, software and re-adapting the transmission cures the problem. This can save thousands of dollars over an unnecessary replacement transmission."

I have noticed from the day we got the car the battery felt weak while cranking. Turns out it has a JUNKYARD battery! I'm definitely replacing the battery which BTW feels much weaker since last time I drove her car.

Has anybody had this issue and able to remedy it by doing what they stated above?

How do I update/repair the software and re-adapt the transmission?

Any help is greatly appreciated....

Thank You!

Shawn

Old 03-17-2015, 01:19 PM
boognish
4th Gear
This happened to my 2006 R53.... The OEM battery began failing after 6 years... probably lasted that long because it was located in the boot, not subject to extreme engine heat, etc... Anyway, I did notice some odd/erratic shifting of the automatic transmission in the weeks leading up to the battery failure...

I went to Advance Auto, bought a replacement battery (it was their store brand, nothing special), and replaced it myself. The erratic transmission shifts no longer occurred. A mini tech told me that a low battery can affect these cars in mysterious ways, because low voltage is detrimental to the computer systems, etc.

Since your Mini has a junkyard battery you may as well replace it with a new one and see what happens. Hope it resolves the issue.

Edit: I did not have the car reprogrammed or the software updated... there was no need for any "re-adaption" period... maybe this applies to 2006 and earlier Mini models... 2007 models may require a software update... call your local dealer to be sure. Or just change the battery yourself and see what happens... worse comes to worse you can have the dealer reprogram it (if necessary).

Last edited by boognish; 03-17-2015 at 01:22 PM. Reason: to add information
Old 03-17-2015, 04:20 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 35 Posts
OK...some folks are getting some stuff mixed up...easy to do...and the s has a different tranny...
A r52 IS A GEN1...
AND the software reset is referring to the CVT computer....not like the gen2 where the battery is "regerstered" with the computer....
Not sure it will work...but if the battery is toast...you are going to need one...
There is a VERY specific procedure involving a coast-down from speed...
I would suggest you get a battery...and get the fluid changed... THEN let them reset the cvt.....
I STRONGLY suggest getting a shop to do it....cvt's are fineky...

Old 03-20-2015, 03:38 PM
poor mini
1st Gear
I have a R55 2012 auto, with 12,500 mi. just had the battery replaced by Mini under the warranty still. Once in a while, after coming to a stop, when taking off the tranny will hit hard, ( Like in the old days when the rear U joint was going bad) with a clunk. Mini is taking a look at it Saturday if they can get it to do it for them. It is as if the car goes into neutral then clunks into drive when taking off. Not a constant, 1 or 2 times a week