General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Union Jack sunroof and Checkered sides...too much?

Search this Thread

Old 08-25-2015, 11:51 AM
Drumsound
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Union Jack sunroof and Checkered sides...too much?

I just got my MCS and I'm already looking at a couple decal things to make it groovier. I like the Sunroof decals, and I think I'll get a monochrome British flag. I also really like the checkered side panels ala Checkmate. I found a company with several color options, and I was thinking about black and clear checks to let the British Racing Green show through. It had black bonnet stripes already. I just wonder if that's a bit much, and if one or the other would be the way to go. Part of me feels that it would be like wearing striped pants and polka dot shirt.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:05 PM
Southern Marylander
3rd Gear
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Drumsound
I just wonder if that's a bit much, and if one or the other would be the way to go.
I had the same conundrum, as I wanted to do a Maryland flag on the roof and on my side mirrors. I'm going to do the side mirrors first and then, if it looks like the car can handle the roof, I'll do that. It's hard to envision how it'll really feel until it's done and it's a lot easier to add one piece at a time and judge that piece than to add 'em all at once and not be able to fully tell which element is bothering you.

Old 08-25-2015, 12:12 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
I like the sunroof decals a lot. I think the side panels could look pretty good. If you think it may be too much, maybe look into doing the checkered door handles and mirror covers instead. Can view handles here and what the mirror caps look like here. Or you could do it all, but that might be a little much haha.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 08-25-2015, 01:34 PM
Drumsound
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Southern Marylander
I had the same conundrum, as I wanted to do a Maryland flag on the roof and on my side mirrors. I'm going to do the side mirrors first and then, if it looks like the car can handle the roof, I'll do that. It's hard to envision how it'll really feel until it's done and it's a lot easier to add one piece at a time and judge that piece than to add 'em all at once and not be able to fully tell which element is bothering you.
Doing one thing at a time is a good idea. Thanks.
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
I like the sunroof decals a lot. I think the side panels could look pretty good. If you think it may be too much, maybe look into doing the checkered door handles and mirror covers instead. Can view handles here and what the mirror caps look like here. Or you could do it all, but that might be a little much haha.
I don't like the mirror covers much, but those handles are bitchin'. I didn't even know they existed. How much is involved in the swap out?

Old 08-25-2015, 01:53 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
I don't like the mirror covers much, but those handles are bitchin'. I didn't even know they existed. How much is involved in the swap out?
They're pretty nifty aren't they? According to the Bentley Manual you'll need to pull the door trim panel, pull the handle actuating cable downward to release it from the lock lever, remove cable guide, detach the handle from the door by removing a few bolts (3 bolts and 1 spacer block) and then you can pull the handle off the door.

Old 08-25-2015, 02:17 PM
Drumsound
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
They're pretty nifty aren't they? According to the Bentley Manual you'll need to pull the door trim panel, pull the handle actuating cable downward to release it from the lock lever, remove cable guide, detach the handle from the door by removing a few bolts (3 bolts and 1 spacer block) and then you can pull the handle off the door.
Isn't it just a shell for the outside of the handle? Could it be that you just gently remove the chrom from stock, and attach the new shell?

Old 08-25-2015, 02:25 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Isn't it just a shell for the outside of the handle? Could it be that you just gently remove the chrom from stock, and attach the new shell?
They're actually the full handle itself with a cable for the door latch.