General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Totaled r53?

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2016, 10:11 AM
iamfarha
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Totaled r53? Nah, lets rebuild it!

******UPDATE: I decided to tackle the rebuild! Read on for adventure...

Well, not the first post I was hoping for...

New member, purchased 2003 r53 in August 2015. Put lots of love into it...DDMworks CAI, 15% pulley, aluminum coolant reserve tank, new vinyl, some paint, some leds. Lots of washing. I loved that thing like no car I've owned before...

Wrecked it yesterday...

Literally 100' from my driveway...A silverado in oncoming traffic turned left in front of me out of no where. He was a contractor looking for a house he was doing work on that day. Spotted the address, turned left into the driveway without looking. I had no chance, especially with the snow.

Obviously needs new hood, headlight, intercooler, radiatorx2, and all the trimmings. Maybe a bumper? Not expecting it to be cheap to repair. Has just shy of 80k on it...

So, whats your vote, the insurance company gonna total this thing?

Last edited by iamfarha; 03-28-2016 at 07:23 AM. Reason: REBUILD!
Old 02-05-2016, 10:24 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,092 Likes on 1,866 Posts
Yikes, sorry to hear this. :(

If the frame is bent , maybe. They will add up the total fix amount , then base it of the worth of the car. I would say hood , headlight, front core support, grille, bumper, headlight, maybe the intercooler. If it cracked the Supercharger or intercooler , that can be expensive. If they just need body work and a couple panels, paint , bumper hood...etc Then maybe not. But MINI parts can be expensive and the headlighst is Xenon are the most expensive part , as well as the paint and labor. If the IC or SC has issue then expect it to climb.

Also the rally lights are about $76 a light. and it loos like the bracket is gone also.

I say rebuild it if the frame is ok.

And if they need the parts to reduce the cost at the body shop have them shop our site or give us a call.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-05-2016, 11:07 AM
iamfarha
2nd Gear
Thanks ECS, a good chunk of the farkles I added were purchased from you (and way)!

It was a very low speed crash (less than 10mph), so I doubt any serious damage, but the insurer took it to a storage lot (not the dealer) for an adjuster to look at, which scares me...I'm not opposed to doing the work myself, provided I ever get to see the thing again...

I clipped the guys bumper, which pierced the radiator and damaged the intercooler (i think). It was kind of beautiful, really... Like a dying beast, the stark contrast of orange/pink coolant sprayed out on fresh snow and gentle wisps of rising steam, a reminder of the fragility of life.

Appreciate the things you love while you have them, friends...

Last edited by iamfarha; 04-28-2016 at 01:05 PM.
Old 02-05-2016, 11:31 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
How much did you purchase the car for?
When I totaled my 2003 R53 I negotiated with the insurance company to pay for some aftermarket parts and they let me remove other aftermarket parts before they took the car away.
If just basic front/hood damage then I would guess not totaled.
If suspension or pan damaged then totaled.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:38 AM
iamfarha
2nd Gear
$6.5k @ 73,000 miles. Really clean car, only 2 owners before me (one very nice senior lady). There are definitely a few parts I like to get off (Rennline skidplate, euro shelf, coolant tank, cabrio braces, etc.), but they gave me no chance. I asked them to tow it to the dealer for estimate and they said based on year/mileage it wasn't worth the tow cost. So to the appraiser lot it went...progressive btw.

Last edited by iamfarha; 04-03-2016 at 10:39 PM. Reason: political correctness
Old 02-05-2016, 11:39 AM
bavmotors
6th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts
What a bummer with such low miles. Hard to say, being an 03 the value will be lower. probably will get totaled out because of the cost to replace some high dollar parts. Like ecs said the headlights alone are quite pricey.

Old 02-05-2016, 11:51 AM
quikmni
6th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Sounds like your insurance company already plans to total the car.
Do you have AAA so that you can have it towed to your home for part removal.
I had the car towed from body shop, once totaled, so I could remove parts. My insurance company (Allstate) had the car picked up at my house to go to the wholesaler.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:07 PM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Originally Posted by iamfarha
Thanks ECS, a good chunk of the farkles I added were purchased from you (and way)!

It was a very low speed crash (less than 10mph), so I doubt any serious damage, but the insurer took it to a storage lot (not the dealer) for an adjuster to look at, which scares me...I'm not opposed to doing the work myself, provided I ever get to see the thing again...

I clipped the guys bumper, which pierced the radiator and damaged the intercooler (i think). It was kind of beautiful, really... Like a dying beast, the stark contrast of orange/pink coolant sprayed out on fresh snow and gentle wisps of rising steam, a reminder of the fragility of life.

Appreciate the things you love while you have them, friends...

Welcome, and appreciate the orders, sorry to hear this again. Can you buy it back off the insurance if they total it ?

Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 02-05-2016, 12:47 PM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
First, assess the damage and see what all you think you'll need. As far as the body, you can go on www.car-part.com and see what prices you find on the exterior body parts. If you report it to insurance and they total it out and you buy back, you'll have a salvage title. Some don't care about this though. Otherwise, sourcing used body parts wont be too hard, you'll just want to know what is underneath it all. If you're DIY savvy you can tackle it yourself. We have plenty of members that have done rebuilds on here. Some had more damage than others. Here is one of them.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-05-2016, 08:24 PM
iamfarha
2nd Gear
Well, no surprise, you guys are all wonderful. Thanks for the support!

Sounds like I'm able to access the car at the holding lot, both before and after the appraiser makes any decision, and I get dibs on the salvage should they total it. Going to go see it again tomorrow to take better photos and poke around under the hood.

Really like the idea of tackling the rebuild...fingers crossed for mostly cosmetic damage. Feel free to pass along anything I should be checking as a definitive uh-oh...

Never handled this sort of insurance claim before (maybe some luck there, but mostly just crappy cars I didn't care about), so thanks again for the tips!

Old 02-06-2016, 09:22 AM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
Keep in mind, if they total it and you buy it back from the insurance co, it will have a salvage title. Greatly reduces it's value..

Old 02-07-2016, 03:29 PM
grussell
4th Gear
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
...and most insurance companies won't offer you comp and collision with a salvage title. Do you have a loan on your MINI?

Wish you had taken pictures with the hood open.

Old 02-07-2016, 04:04 PM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Hate it when stuff like that happens. Slow moving impact still does a lot of damage. Nice Mini, too. Hope the insurance folks decide to fix it. Will be a close call, for sure. Do you live in a "no fault" insurance state?

Last edited by MiniRoadstah; 02-07-2016 at 04:09 PM.
Old 02-08-2016, 04:40 AM
gjxj
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
you have the right to get multiple estimates and try to find a shop to repair it for less than the total value. Tell the isurance co you want to do that right away, before "their" shop declares it totaled.

Old 02-08-2016, 06:07 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Well, no surprise, you guys are all wonderful. Thanks for the support!

Sounds like I'm able to access the car at the holding lot, both before and after the appraiser makes any decision, and I get dibs on the salvage should they total it. Going to go see it again tomorrow to take better photos and poke around under the hood.

Really like the idea of tackling the rebuild...fingers crossed for mostly cosmetic damage. Feel free to pass along anything I should be checking as a definitive uh-oh...

Never handled this sort of insurance claim before (maybe some luck there, but mostly just crappy cars I didn't care about), so thanks again for the tips!

Thanks for the update, hopefully you can get it back and insure it.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:35 AM
Helix13mini
Former Vendor
Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts
There'll be a lot of broken parts in there, but I've seen worse. In 4 updates.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:47 AM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Originally Posted by gjxj
you have the right to get multiple estimates and try to find a shop to repair it for less than the total value. Tell the isurance co you want to do that right away, before "their" shop declares it totaled.
It's not that simple. You also have to factor in the value of the car as it sets there now. Example: Car before accident worth $5,000.00. Cost to repair is $4,000.00. At first glance the average person would think the car was not a total loss but what if the value of the car (as it sat there now) was $1,500.00? The insurance company would consider it a total because they would be saving $500.00 to total it and not repair it. (just used easy round numbers to try and make my point)

Old 02-11-2016, 08:57 PM
iamfarha
2nd Gear
Well, I finally got to go see it.

A little worse than I was hoping, but I still think a rebuild is feasible. Insurance company officially deemed it "unrepairable". Offered cash value and the option for a salvage. I'm definitely leaning towards the rebuild, but have yet to give an official answer. I'm in Michigan (a no fault state), but got lucky as I had broad form on it, and the other guy was clearly at fault. Have been in touch with Chad at Detroit Tuned and have been poking around parts lists, the marketplace, etc. Didn't dig too deep and the hood was tough to get open/take photos at the same time, but here we go:

Obviously the cracked supercharger horn is a bit disconcerting, but I still doubt any serious structural/frame damage. Obvious big ticket items are hood, headlight assembly, radiator, IC? Hoping the SC itself and the intake manifold is ok...guess there's only one way to find out...

Looking forward to digging in...stay tuned!

Old 02-11-2016, 09:55 PM
iamfarha
2nd Gear
Hilarious, just found it on the auctioneers site. Apparently they did a better job getting the hood open than I...

It's official. I'm bringing it home...

Old 02-12-2016, 05:27 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Hilarious, just found it on the auctioneers site. Apparently they did a better job getting the hood open than I...

Great new, post up the rebuild and it you need anything I am here to help. Let rebuild it and make it better

Old 02-12-2016, 05:32 AM
grussell
4th Gear
A & L Auto Recyclers in Detroit have 6 R53's. A quick look shows they have a hood, headlights, intercooler etc. Found them with www.car-part.com

http://www.auto-recyclers.com/used-p...R#.Vr3eW_IrLIX

Old 02-12-2016, 06:49 AM
MiniRoadstah
5th Gear
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

And already folks are popping up offering help finding parts! This is a great Forum... hope you get your R53 back together, and better than it ever was. Post the rebuild!

Old 02-12-2016, 07:40 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
First, assess the damage and see what all you think you'll need. As far as the body, you can go on www.car-part.com and see what prices you find on the exterior body parts. If you report it to insurance and they total it out and you buy back, you'll have a salvage title. Some don't care about this though. Otherwise, sourcing used body parts wont be too hard, you'll just want to know what is underneath it all. If you're DIY savvy you can tackle it yourself. We have plenty of members that have done rebuilds on here. Some had more damage than others. Here is one of them.
Originally Posted by grussell
A & L Auto Recyclers in Detroit have 6 R53's. A quick look shows they have a hood, headlights, intercooler etc. Found them with www.car-part.com

http://www.auto-recyclers.com/used-p...R#.Vr3eW_IrLIX
Yep! That site is a gold mine! It'll help with your process. Good luck!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 02-12-2016, 10:06 AM
iamfarha
2nd Gear
Woah!

Man, you guys are life savers. You ain't kidding, that site is a massive help, thanks!

I know I'm jumping the gun a bit until I get it in the garage and start digging, but I can't help non-stop thinking about it. I know the build dates can get wonky on the r53's in terms of between year compatibility. Mine has a 05/03 build date. Any obvious parts I should be stingy on in terms of year/build date?

There are a number of r53's in need of repair available on craigslist for reasonable prices (says the guy with an insurance check in his pocket). Any reason I shouldn't consider buying a whole one of those to swap parts (then scrap it when I'm done) or is the per piece option a better/safer bet?

I feel like a kid in a candy store, thanks for being a great community!

Old 02-12-2016, 12:19 PM
grussell
4th Gear
[QUOTE=iamfarha;4174575]Man, you guys are life savers. You ain't kidding, that site is a massive help, thanks!

I know I'm jumping the gun a bit until I get it in the garage and start digging, but I can't help non-stop thinking about it. I know the build dates can get wonky on the r53's in terms of between year compatibility. Mine has a 05/03 build date. Any obvious parts I should be stingy on in terms of year/build date?

There are a number of r53's in need of repair available on craigslist for reasonable prices (says the guy with an insurance check in his pocket). Any reason I shouldn't consider buying a whole one of those to swap parts (then scrap it when I'm done) or is the per piece option a better/safer bet?

I feel like a kid in a candy store, thanks for being a great community! [/QUOTE

If you want cross reference parts from a different build date you can use www.realoem.com to look up part numbers and then check to see what year models that part fits. Type in the last 7 of your vin and search for the parts you need and it will give you the part number. Click the part number and it will show the model years that part fits. That way you could back into your build date say from a newer model year.

Quick Reply: Totaled r53?