General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Should I move on from the Mini?

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2016, 06:31 AM
bitsybetty
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Should I move on from the Mini?

What to do?

I have a 2006 hatchback with about 84k miles on it. It is my every day car. Over the last 10 yrs, I have invested a fair amount of money in repairs, including this past year. Now the clear coat is peeling due to iron oxide drips from a parking garage. I have estimates to repaint 1) the effected sections and 2) the entire car. I don't know if I should sink more money into her, but the thought of giving her up is DEVASTATING. If it weren't for the paint problem, I wouldn't be considering this.

I test drove a 2016 MCS and while the ride is so smooth and the interior is quiet, bigger, and tricked out, it is not my little Min. I am a traditionalist; I don't like all the redesigns, interior or exterior, on the new models. I am at a crossroads. Should I move on from the Mini brand and buy a "real" car or fix my little Min? (Did I mention that this thought is DEVASTATING?) I have test driven many brands and nothing lives up to the level of fun of driving my little Min.

Does anyone have tales of regret in giving up their Mini only to go back to a Mini?
Any recommendations for Mini shops in the Boston area to get an overall diagnostic and advice?

Old 03-06-2016, 06:44 AM
GoThingNC
4th Gear
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts
Maybe you can find another 05-06 MCS in better condition for under $10K and sell your your to recoup some of the cash spent.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:38 AM
Gitmoe
3rd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Have you stopped by a dealership to see if they'll cover the paint issue under the rust extended warranty from the known problems? Where is the paint damage? That's what I'd try first. Obviously don't mention you think the parking garage was the issue. Any rust or paint degradation should be covered under the 12yr extended apology warranty. Just a thought.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:34 AM
MothAudio
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Gitmoe
12yr extended apology warranty. Just a thought.

Old 03-06-2016, 08:53 AM
Gitmoe
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MothAudio
More info here... https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...or-2004-a.html

And here... https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tailights.html

It's worth a shot. Those two threads don't specifically mention it but there are rust issues known with the door sills. Any rust should fall under this warranty.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:24 AM
ammodave
5th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 17 Posts
If your paint problem is being caused by the parking garage, aren't other owners having the same problem? Have you talked to the building owner? Clearly, you need to solve this problem before you repaint or buy another ride. Car cover?

Old 03-06-2016, 11:33 AM
bitsybetty
Neutral
Originally Posted by Gitmoe
More info here... https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...or-2004-a.html

And here... https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...tailights.html

It's worth a shot. Those two threads don't specifically mention it but there are rust issues known with the door sills. Any rust should fall under this warranty.

Gitmoe,

This is invaluable! Thank you! The other reason I figured I should just repaint the entire car is the rust around the tailights.

I will stop by the dealership that I purchased it from next weekend.

Thanks again!

Old 03-06-2016, 11:35 AM
bitsybetty
Neutral
Originally Posted by GoThingNC
Maybe you can find another 05-06 MCS in better condition for under $10K and sell your your to recoup some of the cash spent.
GoThingNC,

You have opened a Pandora's box. The thought never occurred to me. Thank you! I will definitely consider this as an option.

Old 03-06-2016, 11:43 AM
bitsybetty
Neutral
Originally Posted by ammodave
If your paint problem is being caused by the parking garage, aren't other owners having the same problem? Have you talked to the building owner? Clearly, you need to solve this problem before you repaint or buy another ride. Car cover?
Yes, there are other drivers with the same issue. I only occasionally park at this garage, however, always in the same spot. I was told the garage will offer to detail the car. Clearly, not enough for me. Regardless, I do plan to speak to the owner. Thank you for the advice!

Old 03-06-2016, 11:48 AM
Gitmoe
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by bitsybetty
Gitmoe,

This is invaluable! Thank you! The other reason I figured I should just repaint the entire car is the rust around the tailights.

I will stop by the dealership that I purchased it from next weekend.

Thanks again!
No problem. I recently bought an '05 Cooper S with some tail light rust. I just haven't had time to run it down to the dealership yet. My previous '09 Clubman never had rust issues so this was new to me, but after research came across the warranty and known problems. Glad to help another enthusiast.

Old 03-06-2016, 12:09 PM
MothAudio
2nd Gear
That's ironic, the dealer the OP went to is my local. No rust on my '09 Clubman.

Old 03-06-2016, 07:59 PM
GeneralSpecific
4th Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by MothAudio
That's ironic, the dealer the OP went to is my local. No rust on my '09 Clubman.
You don't park in a rusty parking garage either, though...

The taillight rust thing effected Gen1 cars too - very common.

Old 03-07-2016, 09:25 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
I've had one of my JCW's through the rust process (all panels replaced but the bonnet), and the other car this fall.

I've pointed many other 1st gen owners to the process, all with success.

Some of them have paid a little bit to have "the rest" of the car resprayed.

I've read lots of people who regret giving up their R53, and I suppose if you're attached to the R53's features you'd be one who would miss it as well. If it's just a paint job... I'd keep it... heck... even use it with the "Patina"... or vinyl wrap it?

Good luck!

Old 03-07-2016, 10:32 AM
bitsybetty
Neutral
Should I be concerned that Mini will quote the requirements in order to be covered under their rust prevention warranty? I went through my paperwork last night and in order to qualify, the car had to be inspected during all Mini I and Mini II Inspections or at least every 2 years. While I did bring her to the dealer for everything (including snow tire installs) until last year, there was no mention of the rust (by them or me).

Old 03-07-2016, 11:22 AM
jamez
5th Gear
Received 35 Likes on 27 Posts
I have had/seen/heard/helped a lot go through the process in the last 18 months up here in Canada.

Rejections can come from "previous work", but I have yet to see any that have been rejected from the lack of the "inspection" (even though they could).

Yes I've held my breath each time, and it is completely up to corporate to approve it.
It can come down to "good will" and your relationship with your dealer if they want to fight for you or not, but it's up to Corporate to decide.

But never hurts to ask anyway...

Old 03-07-2016, 12:51 PM
bitsybetty
Neutral
Thanks for the advice, Jamez!

Old 03-18-2016, 02:09 PM
ColoCoug
3rd Gear
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Yes, there are other drivers with the same issue. I only occasionally park at this garage, however, always in the same spot. I was told the garage will offer to detail the car. Clearly, not enough for me. Regardless, I do plan to speak to the owner. Thank you for the advice!
Time to request (aka: demand) a different parking spot! I sure wouldn't stay in a spot where I had that problem.

Old 03-18-2016, 02:52 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
I moved on....
Had a 2005 s...
Found the new cars were simply not compelling....
They are fine cars, IMO, a bit overpriced, but lack a certain something that made the older cars special....
I looked at my car, as it approached 10 years old, and realized that I could spend $4000 or so (could see that every rubber and trim part was getting a bit ratty, and a clutch would be needed, and then the seats....the listvkept getting longer....) on it in the near future, and a few parts I had recently bought were becoming special order dealer parts, as the gen2 cars were mostly gone....so why would they bother stocking anything gen1?! With basicly zero new modding of older cars with new ideas getting done, and the higher cost of premium fuel and comparatively poor mpg (30 mpg) of the gen1 cars, I decided it was time to say goodbye.
Sure I loved my car....but the scene (mini) and the company has changed....
For me it was time to move on....
Hope to maybe pick up a 3rd car, a gen1 mini someday....but logisticly it was just not possible too keep a 3rd car around for me.

Last edited by ZippyNH; 03-22-2016 at 11:15 AM. Reason: Couch to clutch... Autocorrect gone mad?!
Old 03-18-2016, 02:56 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
And if you haven't tried Greasysgarage yet....you have been living under a rock!
Started brining my 2005 there even before my warrenty was over....they are gen1 mini lovers...the owner has had a "few"....I always had good luck and for the $$ paid, was always happy with the results.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:46 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
What to do?

I have a 2006 hatchback with about 84k miles on it. It is my every day car. Over the last 10 yrs, I have invested a fair amount of money in repairs, including this past year. Now the clear coat is peeling due to iron oxide drips from a parking garage. I have estimates to repaint 1) the effected sections and 2) the entire car. I don't know if I should sink more money into her, but the thought of giving her up is DEVASTATING. If it weren't for the paint problem, I wouldn't be considering this.

I test drove a 2016 MCS and while the ride is so smooth and the interior is quiet, bigger, and tricked out, it is not my little Min. I am a traditionalist; I don't like all the redesigns, interior or exterior, on the new models. I am at a crossroads. Should I move on from the Mini brand and buy a "real" car or fix my little Min? (Did I mention that this thought is DEVASTATING?) I have test driven many brands and nothing lives up to the level of fun of driving my little Min.

Does anyone have tales of regret in giving up their Mini only to go back to a Mini?
Any recommendations for Mini shops in the Boston area to get an overall diagnostic and advice?
With all that purported investment, I'd just opt for new paint job. Maybe even pick a color MINI doesn't offer, or one not offered to 1st Gen. Sometimes its better the devil you know.

Old 03-18-2016, 03:48 PM
-=gRaY rAvEn=-
Received 66 Likes on 56 Posts
Originally Posted by ZippyNH
I moved on....
And we miss you brother....

Old 03-18-2016, 05:50 PM
grueinthebox
5th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Hopefully MINI will take care of the rust and paint. If not, weigh the cost of repaint against the cost of purchasing another car and bringing it up to speed. If, as you say, you still love the car other than the paint issue and there aren't any other expensive issues with it I'd imagine it's financially a wash at best to replace it. Money you've previously spent on repairs and such is irrelevant (see: "sunk cost fallacy").

If you keep it, maybe stop taking it to the dealer and find a good independent mechanic who knows MINIs (or learn to do the work yourself, if you're so inclined!)... That should reduce cost of ownership significantly.

Old 03-19-2016, 12:28 PM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Originally Posted by grueinthebox
Hopefully MINI will take care of the rust and paint. If not, weigh the cost of repaint against the cost of purchasing another car and bringing it up to speed. If, as you say, you still love the car other than the paint issue and there aren't any other expensive issues with it I'd imagine it's financially a wash at best to replace it. Money you've previously spent on repairs and such is irrelevant (see: "sunk cost fallacy").

If you keep it, maybe stop taking it to the dealer and find a good independent mechanic who knows MINIs (or learn to do the work yourself, if you're so inclined!)... That should reduce cost of ownership significantly.
+1
Forget what you have spent too keep it running....
It's value is as a running car...anything spent too keep it that way is a " sunk cost"...
Think about it this way....it it was wrecked tomorrow, YOU would get the same $$ if you have spent $5 or $15,000 on repaired is the last 5 years if it is rated in the same conditions.

What you ask is more of a personal question.....
Do you love your car enough to keep it....does it still meet your needs?
In my case, my needs had changed a bit, wanted too keep it, but no space for a 3rd.
If you do get a special paint job, and it is truely a great car, consider getting "agreeed value" insurance policy on the car..... Blue book values on r53 cars are pretty poor at the moment, and to be honest, spending $2000 on a paint job on a car worth about $4000 only makes sense if it would be fix, and not totaled in a wreck, or if you got enough $$ to replace it with more than a wreck on wheels....
Just saying, do the math, and if you keep it protect yourself so you don't take a huge loss if something happens.....
And the devil you know is likly the best one....you would likely have to re-do repairs and fixes on a different r53....

One thought...it was brought up...
Ever think of getting the car wrapped? Some wraps can be pretty cool....keep the paint OK that's left...get maybe 2 years if it is kept out of UV (SUNLIGHT).....
Then again....if it is peeling, might not be a good option....but ask an installer IMO.

Last edited by ZippyNH; 03-19-2016 at 12:33 PM.
Old 03-19-2016, 06:34 PM
MiniDad08
MiniDad09
Received 27 Likes on 18 Posts
What to do?

I personally would be inclined to have the spot repair done..... Some 600 grit wet sand paper, rubbing compound, and some clear coat lacquer over the affected area can do wonders. Get a few estimates for the smaller spot repairs. You may be pleasantly $urprised.... Taking it to a detail shop following the repairs will help match up the repaired area....