General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2009 Mini Cooper base - p0303 & p013a

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2016, 06:18 PM
thelawson
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2009 Mini Cooper base - p0303 & p013a

I test drove a 2009 Mini Cooper base automatic with 82k miles today. It had a CEL and multiple codes were pulled (p0303 and p013a). Dealer replaced spark plugs and cylinder 3 coil pack (I think). I need to verify when I get home. Service records also indicated something about an issue with B1S3 and the CEL may return? Bank one sensor three? The CEL was not on when I test drove it. I'm not sure if I should just stay away from this mini because of these codes? I perused the forums and it appears diagnosing the exact issue causing these codes can be difficult. Car is mint otherwise and seemed to drive and idle fine. Any insight appreciated.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:00 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
P013A is a O2 sensor code. P0303 is a cylinder 3 misfire code. After the dealer replaced those items, did P0303 disappear?

Since you're in the market searching for a new MINI, it might be best to find one that doesn't have any problems. This will save you the headache from diagnosing things and having to repair things right off the bat, especially if what you have found to resolve these issues is difficult.

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST
Old 03-29-2016, 09:40 AM
thelawson
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by PelicanParts.com
P013A is a O2 sensor code. P0303 is a cylinder 3 misfire code. After the dealer replaced those items, did P0303 disappear?

Since you're in the market searching for a new MINI, it might be best to find one that doesn't have any problems. This will save you the headache from diagnosing things and having to repair things right off the bat, especially if what you have found to resolve these issues is difficult.
Yeah the CEL disappeared after the dealer replaced those items. However, the car only had 5-10 miles on it since those items were replaced. Not sure if that's enough to trigger another CEL? I decided to shy away from that particular mini. I'm getting a pre purchase inspection done on a different mini. It's a 2010 base auto with 64k miles. It's a one owner with minimal service history, per the carfax. It seemed to run/drive better than the 2009 I was looking at. It's about 1k more, but I'm willing to pay more to avoid the headache of the CEL coming back.

Old 03-29-2016, 09:45 AM
PelicanParts.com
Vendor
Received 62 Likes on 59 Posts
Originally Posted by thelawson
Yeah the CEL disappeared after the dealer replaced those items. However, the car only had 5-10 miles on it since those items were replaced. Not sure if that's enough to trigger another CEL? I decided to shy away from that particular mini. I'm getting a pre purchase inspection done on a different mini. It's a 2010 base auto with 64k miles. It's a one owner with minimal service history, per the carfax. It seemed to run/drive better than the 2009 I was looking at. It's about 1k more, but I'm willing to pay more to avoid the headache of the CEL coming back.
I think it's good you passed. Glad you're getting a PPI done. That will be very useful as that MINI tech should be able to look over specific problem areas. I'd just check over the thermostat, water pump, and tell him to inspect the water pipe between the two. That pipe can get brittle and crack over time. Also, I'd be curious if the coolant has ever been flushed. The cooling system typically is often neglected. Good luck and let us know how the inspection goes!

888.280.7799 | 6am - 5pm PST