General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

MINI Tool Kit

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-2016, 07:52 PM
Troynm
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
MINI Tool Kit

I'm looking to collect a small set of tools to carry in my 2015 R57. I would appreciate any advice. I'm guessing it's mostly metric. I'm thinking a set of Torx drivers, what sizes (metric?)? A Crescent driver is always handy. What else.

Thanks,
Tom

Old 04-30-2016, 08:04 PM
whaap
5th Gear
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
I'm not sure what you're wanting to accomplish. My thinking is you can have a complete set of tools and if something breaks those tools won't do you a bit of good if you don't have the part needed to replace the broken part. I'm comfortable with my tools at home in my tool box and my cell phone and credit card in my pocket when I'm on the road. In addition to that I do have Mini road service and a factory warranty.

Old 05-01-2016, 10:44 AM
Troynm
1st Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There are several reasons to have a minimal tool kit in your car. The convertible I have has a way to disconnect the top from the motor mechanism in case you need to raise the top in an emergency if the top motor or mechanism breaks. It's a Torx wrench I believe and it would be handy to have another one. The car comes with one, but it is buried in the bottom of the boot. Unhandy if you have the car packed on a trip and an extra one is nice.

The fuses are kind of hard to pull out. I have a little fuse puller that helps a lot. I've had to disconnect batteries for one reason or another on the road. One time it was to reset the ECU on a ford so the car would start. Another was to clean the terminals so the car would start.

I've replaced belts and hoses on the road. I don't think I will be replacing the belt on my MINI as it is very difficult to do, but a hose is a possibility. There are many reasons to carry a small tool kit in a car. Yes we have cell phones and MINI roadside service, but here in the wilds of New Mexico and Colorado cell phone service can be spotty or none. It could take hours to get road side service. There is a stretch of road on the Navajo reservation that there is no cell service and in fact no land line for 30 miles.

Chaco Canyon in NM has no cell service and in fact the visitor center has no landline, they have to use a satellite phone. I would much rather tighten a loose bolt or electrical connection then wait hours for roadside service with my top stuck down in the rain with a dead battery at Chaco Canyon.

I use to drive on the road for work and I always carried an extra belt, both hoses, a can of oil and antifreeze.

Old 05-01-2016, 02:11 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
Received 282 Likes on 238 Posts
I carry

needle nose pliers
adjustable wrench (crescent)
vice grips
screwdriver handle with tip set (includes common torx) (torx has its own size "T")
leatherman tool
several feet of decent solid core wire (can tie up a drooping muffler)
small bundle of zip ties assorted sizes (can replace most hose clamps)
leather or mechanic's gloves
small pkg assorted fuses
if a MINI and not using run flats any more a DYNAPLUG and small pump

in addition to flash light and pressure gau' in the glove box.

Old 05-09-2016, 08:55 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,085 Likes on 1,860 Posts
You should have a small tool set already in the trunk section, with the runflat option. Have you checked whats in the boot already ?

Other then that above comments have some good info. The other thing I would get is a can of fix a flat or a portable tire infiltrator .

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172