General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

New owner 2007 Mini S - cleaning question

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2016 | 06:19 PM
dchernikoff
|
1st Gear
New owner 2007 Mini S - cleaning question

Hi all,

Just bought a 2007 Mini Cooper S -- my first Mini ever! Cars in great shape. Just took it into the shop and it needs a new battery and one of the brake sensors replace, but that's pretty much it. Great car, so much fun to drive -- I've wanted one for years! And I love the owners manuals -- I sit in bed reading them and laughing, much to my wife's confusion!

Some newb questions about cleaning an older car.

1) The inside has an odor. Sort of like too many french fries left under the seat for too long. Even after cleaning and vacuming, the smell comes back if I leave the windows or sunroom closed. Any suggestions how to get rid of it? I found some stuff that actually emits chlorine gas, specifically to kill odor-causing bacteria in cars. But there are all these warnings about how it can corrode metal and vynal... Plus it's deadly poisonous to people too! I'm a bit scared to use it. Anyone try this?

2) The black stripes on the hood are splotchy and a bit faded. Any way to clean them? Can I wax them with ordinary wax, with that help? Otherwise the body is pretty perfect except for a few pant dings from pebbles I suspect.

Thanks all.

-Dan

Old 07-13-2016 | 09:40 PM
bcriverjunky
4th Gear
Old 07-13-2016 | 10:43 PM
dchernikoff
|
1st Gear
Great idea. Thanks, I'll give it a try.

-Dan

Old 07-14-2016 | 09:41 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
best one I've ever used

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Natural-M...1013/205187990

and lasts forever since you can 'recharge' it!

I leave a bag under a seat and take it out to expose to sun once a year ....

Old 07-14-2016 | 10:35 AM
dchernikoff
|
1st Gear
@capt_bj -- thanks, I'll give that a try too, once I do the baking soda. The smell is bad, I gotta do something!

-Dan

Old 07-14-2016 | 11:12 AM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
when daughter started a new job the 'fridge in the break room stank to high heaven .. looked clean but stunk like old fish. So much so she would not put here lunch in.

She put one of these bags in and in a few days smell gone ....

Old 07-14-2016 | 11:29 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Stripes are probably a peel and replace. Mine are going on a 2011, so I imagine yours are done.

Never had luck with baking soda or other products. Best bet is carpet and upholstery cleaner. Or smoke cigarettes since that will kill off odors and you. I had a used bmw that was a smoker car and the odor was there for several years.

Old 07-14-2016 | 12:47 PM
Mini Mania
Banned
Originally Posted by dchernikoff
Hi all,

Just bought a 2007 Mini Cooper S -- my first Mini ever! Cars in great shape. Just took it into the shop and it needs a new battery and one of the brake sensors replace, but that's pretty much it. Great car, so much fun to drive -- I've wanted one for years! And I love the owners manuals -- I sit in bed reading them and laughing, much to my wife's confusion!

Some newb questions about cleaning an older car.

1) The inside has an odor. Sort of like too many french fries left under the seat for too long. Even after cleaning and vacuming, the smell comes back if I leave the windows or sunroom closed. Any suggestions how to get rid of it? I found some stuff that actually emits chlorine gas, specifically to kill odor-causing bacteria in cars. But there are all these warnings about how it can corrode metal and vynal... Plus it's deadly poisonous to people too! I'm a bit scared to use it. Anyone try this?

2) The black stripes on the hood are splotchy and a bit faded. Any way to clean them? Can I wax them with ordinary wax, with that help? Otherwise the body is pretty perfect except for a few pant dings from pebbles I suspect.

Thanks all.

-Dan
Welcome to NAM and the world of MINI Motoring Sounds like you received some great advice on odor removal. Please post some pix of your MINI when you have a chance. In the meantime, here's a handy maintenance and service guide to help you out:

http://new.minimania.com/MINI_COOPER...NERATION_MINIs

Drive Hard. Drive Safe. Keep Grinning.

Old 07-14-2016 | 01:04 PM
Capt_bj
OVERDRIVE
stripes ....

yes the stripes are almost certainly just a vinyl tape and can be peeled off (a lil heat from a hot day or a hair drier can help)

We just bought a leftover 15 Roadster and the silver stripes on it are faded and a bit splotchy too ... and the white ones on my BRG 07 showed dirt spots after about 5 years despite garage and regular cleaning.

I've had some luck with using a clay bar on the stripes, then applying a GOOD vinyl protection product like 303 .... I use Zymol myself. After this dries (days) I wax over (usually use Meguires). The 15's look better now . . .

We may remove the stripes from the new one, this was spousal unit's original desire (no stripes) but she has since decided to wait a bit for a final decision. For you a factor to consider is what color is your car? It is possible your main color has some sun fade and if so, then you can end up with ghost stripes .... the paint under the stickers did not fade ....

And no, you can NOT buff this out ... remember your paint has a clear coat so buff all you want, you are just buffing the clear and it is the color UNDER the clear that faded. Reds and greens are bad for fade .... metallics worse than non's.

Of course you can buy a new set and re-apply . . . if done right ghosting should be almost invisible.

Last edited by Capt_bj; 07-15-2016 at 06:48 AM.
Old 07-14-2016 | 03:37 PM
Joeygonz
5th Gear
odor - Sonax carpet cleaner has worked for me extremely well

stripes - used a mild rubbing compound (try applying to a small section first)

congrats on your new MINI!

Old 07-25-2016 | 10:10 AM
dchernikoff
|
1st Gear
Thanks everyone.

I sniffed around this weekend (literally) and found that the smell is coming from the trunk. There had been standing water there when I test drove the car and the previous owner said that "just happened from a spill". Should have known it was the cause! I pulled out the tray and all the tools and scrubbed and soaked everything in a mix of Peroxide and Dawn detergent that someone recommended. Took the smell away! But no matter how much I scrubbed the trunk floor, it still stinks, especially when wet. So I'm leaving it out of the Mini for a while just to be sure it was the problem, then I'll just buy a new trunk floor -- only $43 at ECS, that's a pretty cheap fix if that's all it is!

-Dan