General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

burning rubber smell

Search this Thread

Old 08-11-2016, 03:28 AM
Cockroach
2nd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts
burning rubber smell

So my first issue with our MCS happened yesterday. It was a warm 90 yesterday so I left the Mini running with the ac on and ran into a restaurant to pick up my carry out. About 10 minutes later when I came out I could see and smell a slight haze/smoke coming out from under the hood. I'm pretty sure it was the belt since the smell of burnt rubber was coming from that area. I quickly shut off the engine and looked things over but found nothing out of place. Restarted the engine with the ac off and all seemed ok, drove the 5 mile trip home with no issues or warning lights on. I even turned the ac back on when I was close to home and all appeared fine. So my question is wtf happened? Loose/old belt? car just turned 100,000 and its hard to see the belt so I'm not sure of the age. Any special tools or tricks to change the belt? Thanks for your reply's.

Old 08-11-2016, 04:10 AM
NB Cooper
4th Gear
Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Any chance it wasn't a rubber smell and was in fact oil? Check around the oil fitting at the top of the turbo to see if there are any signs of leakage. Just a thought....

Old 08-11-2016, 04:50 AM
Cockroach
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NB Cooper
Any chance it wasn't a rubber smell and was in fact oil? Check around the oil fitting at the top of the turbo to see if there are any signs of leakage. Just a thought....

2005 SC engine not a turbo, but definitely rubber not oil.

Old 08-11-2016, 08:33 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Received 97 Likes on 82 Posts
It ~could~ be the belt, but it's more likely to be your crankshaft pulley failing. It's a two-component pulley, and when they fail, the rubber component separates from the metal component.

You're lucky to have driven it home before all hell broke loose. I'd recommend changing it (and the belt) post-haste... There are plenty of tutorials on this operation online.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:02 AM
Cockroach
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
It ~could~ be the belt, but it's more likely to be your crankshaft pulley failing. It's a two-component pulley, and when they fail, the rubber component separates from the metal component.

You're lucky to have driven it home before all hell broke loose. I'd recommend changing it (and the belt) post-haste... There are plenty of tutorials on this operation online.

Is there a quick way to tell if the crankpulley is going bad?

Old 08-11-2016, 10:13 AM
ZippyNH
6th Gear
Received 36 Likes on 36 Posts
Jack the car up...
Remove the (us) passangerside tire....and pull the liner out...you will see the full pulley stream....you can look for cracking rubber or tears....it also makes swapping the belt simple if all is ok.
Failure is sometimes obvious...sometimes not so much...but the smell if the belt us ok is the tell.
You can put a pry bar on the pulley...and look for flex...it should be stiff...failing units tend to flex as the rubber ages.

Old 08-11-2016, 10:21 AM
Cockroach
2nd Gear
10-4 thanks

Old 08-11-2016, 10:28 AM
NB Cooper
4th Gear
Originally Posted by AoxoMoxoA
Good call! I've had this fail on an Acura and caught one Hyundai just in time. It makes a huge mess when it fails and brings you to stop with loads of drama. Let us know what you find when you get in there.

Old 08-11-2016, 06:59 PM
Cockroach
2nd Gear
So I removed the belt tonight and all seems good, belt is not new but looks to be a year or so old with no signs of slipping. I replaced it anyway and check everything over. The only thing I noticed was when I took a screw driver and wedged it between the block and crank pulley there is a little wiggle in the rubber. This may be normal not sure, the one thing I did notice was before putting the splash panel back on I ran the engine and can hear a very slight rattle noise coming from the crank area. Thoughts?

Old 08-12-2016, 05:09 AM
Cockroach
2nd Gear
More info... I did see a very faint rub mark [1 inch long] on the face of the engine from what I would assume was from the pulley rubbing slightly. I also noticed the crank bolt showed signs that it was removed, I'm going to take a wild guess and say the "dealer" had the pulley changed but with a good used one not new. there's no signs of rubber separation from the outside however it may be coming apart on the inside. I have a call into the used car dealer for info.... ya right!

Old 08-12-2016, 05:47 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Cockroach
I have a call into the used car dealer for info.... ya right!
I feel confident that the used car dealer brought your vehicle to an authorized MINI dealership and shelled out the $800 for a sparkling new crankshaft pulley...

"ya right!"

On a serious note, if there is evidence of the pulley rubbing against the timing cover, then yes, your pulley, whatever the origin, is on its way out.

Old 08-12-2016, 05:55 AM
NB Cooper
4th Gear
The ones I've seen fail look like this,
This isn't a Mini part but you get the idea.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:47 AM
Cockroach
2nd Gear
Yes, FYI I'm a 30 year Journeyman mechanic that has built several race engines and always upgraded them to a fluid dampner. Big Mopar / muscle car guy so these Mini's are new to me and I'm not up on their little quirks.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:00 AM
Cockroach
2nd Gear
Update, Used car dealer knows nothing. I'm going to order a new balancer and while I'm there I think I'll change the chain tensioner too.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:20 AM
NB Cooper
4th Gear
I think I'm going to do ours (timing set) as well just because I have no maintenance history whatsoever.

Old 08-12-2016, 08:34 AM
AoxoMoxoA
5th Gear
Update, Used car dealer knows nothing. I'm going to order a new balancer and while I'm there I think I'll change the chain tensioner too.
Do the crankshaft oil seal also, while you have the pulley off...

p/n 11111485171

ETA: I'm going to take it one step further this coming fall, and in addition to changing the crankshaft pulley, I'm doing the crankshaft seal, timing cover gasket, the two internal (upper and lower) oil pump seals, serpentine belt, belt tensioner and idler pulley.

Last edited by AoxoMoxoA; 08-12-2016 at 08:39 AM.
Old 08-12-2016, 08:35 AM
Cockroach
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by NB Cooper
I think I'm going to do ours (timing set) as well just because I have no maintenance history whatsoever.

The chain and guides?

Old 08-12-2016, 03:06 PM
NB Cooper
4th Gear
The chain and guides?
Yah it only makes sense to do the "full Monty" while in there. It probably also makes sense to have a gander at the water pump and friction wheel as well as the alternator belt. Once these are done I should be worry free for a while.

Old 08-12-2016, 06:52 PM
Tio Barry
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
Check caurefully that you didn't pick up a plastic bag on your exhaust. Will stick closely to the pipes and take about a month to totally stop smelling like burnt rubber.

Old 08-13-2016, 02:41 AM
Cockroach
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by Tio Barry
Check caurefully that you didn't pick up a plastic bag on your exhaust. Will stick closely to the pipes and take about a month to totally stop smelling like burnt rubber.

^ This. Yes have had that happen. In this case there was visible smoke coming out from under the hood on the right side, not much but a haze. Still a mystery.

Old 08-14-2016, 12:19 PM
WayMotorWorks
Vendor
Received 768 Likes on 626 Posts
Your description fits a failed crank pulley to a T. We just had this happen to our shipping guys R53 on lunch break a week ago. Replace it with the ATI damper and don't worry again.
https://www.waymotorworks.com/super-...ulley-r53.html

HOTCHKIS | DDM | CRAVEN | AKRAPOVIC | NM ENGINEERING | MEGAN | FORGE | OS GIKEN | POWERFLEX and more

The following users liked this post:
greystone (03-10-2021)
Old 08-17-2016, 05:26 AM
Cockroach
2nd Gear
Quick up date. My parts are on order waiting delivery and since I didn't want anyone forgetting I said not to drive it until it was repaired, I decided to remove the balancer. Super simple half hour job with no issue's and yes indeed the balancer/pulley had separated. Hopefully by Friday I'll get the parts and have it up and running.

Old 08-17-2016, 05:57 AM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 329 Likes on 310 Posts
It sounds like the typical vibration dampener pulley failure, as others have said.
When you smell burning rubber, it is usually always the crank pulley (vibration dampener pulley)

The following users liked this post:
jsbastian (07-20-2022)
Old 08-22-2016, 04:45 AM
Cockroach
2nd Gear
MCS back together and running fine. Did the pulley first then the timing chain tensioner, no issue install. Decided to do an oil change and what a pain to remove the oil filter, the housing was so freaking tight I broke my Mac 1/2 to 3/8 drive extension. I ended up carefully heating the housing with a propane torch to be able to remove the filter. I did notice a missing bolt for the CV shaft mount to engine block, anyone know what size bolt? M6 is to small and M8 looks to be to big. Thanks

Last edited by Cockroach; 08-22-2016 at 04:47 AM. Reason: none
Old 07-20-2022, 03:57 AM
jsbastian
Neutral
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by ItsmeWayne
It sounds like the typical vibration dampener pulley failure, as others have said.
When you smell burning rubber, it is usually always the crank pulley (vibration dampener pulley)

I changed the pulleys, the clutch, the engine has no oil leaks and it still smells burnt when I accelerate harder. the belt and pulley and tensioner were changed six months ago. opinions? thank you 🙂

Quick Reply: burning rubber smell