General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"don't lock person inside car, with fob" - but I want to sleep there!

Search this Thread

Old 07-26-2017, 11:03 AM
godskid
2nd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
"don't lock person inside car, with fob" - but I want to sleep there!

The manual has dire warnings about "do not lock the car with a fob, while there is a person inside". I've googled about deadlocking, where the interior locks are disabled when you lock with the fob.

But I want to sleep inside my 2017 Clubman S ALL4. I've slept in a 2009 Clubman before, locking it from the inside with the fob. When I awake, I use the fob to kick open the barn doors.

Is the danger only when the fob goes away with the owner (not the case, when the owner is inside the car)? Or when the fob battery dies? I have the 2nd fob on my person (to prevent accidental lock-outs) so I can't imagine both batteries dying at the same time.

SOOO if these are the only danger cases (fob not present, or fob not working due to battery) then I'm probably okay locking myself into the car?

I guess I could lock the car with the door handle lock, but then I'd have to crawl into the back seat, over the car seats (not necessarily possible at my age). My plan is to get in using the barn doors, and pull them closed after myself. Then lock the car with the fob. (Probably cracking the windows or sunroof for some air.)

Old 07-26-2017, 11:44 AM
mashby
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
On my R55, the issue is that the fob sets the security system which has a motion detector. That would be one heck of a scare if you roll over in the middle of the night. My guess is this is why they are suggesting not to use it.

When it's cool and I travel with my dog, I have to disable the motion detector and that can only be done outside the car with the fob and the valet key.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:04 PM
godskid
2nd Gear
Is this true without the alarm system? At least, my key fob has no button for "alarm" so I'm pretty sure I don't have the alarm system. (I bought it lightly used; didn't configure it myself.)

Oh, and you mean, you disable it by locking with the physical key inside the fob? (Is that the valet key you mean?) I guess that would still allow me to have the barn doors open, lock the front door with physical key, crawl inside the back area and pull the doors shut behind me.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:07 PM
3lusive
5th Gear
Received 53 Likes on 46 Posts
Key fob doesn't normally have a button for alarm, you long press the Lock button to set off the alarm if it is equipped. I've also read that if you use the fob to hit the lock button twice in quick succession that turns off the motion detecting feature of the alarm. I had to do some research when I left a friend in the car locked and the alarm went off from him moving around in the car.

Easiest way to know if you have the alarm is if it beeps audibly on lock/unlock.

Old 07-26-2017, 12:21 PM
godskid
2nd Gear
Ok -- it doesn't beep on lock/unlock. Nonetheless, I'll try the long press to see if anything happens. I can also lock myself in the car, and try aggressively moving about.

I think the bigger worry is that the key fob apparently turns off the manual unlocking. This is part of a theft deterrent that (i think) Europe insists on. There are a few article out there for locksmiths who have to deal with a fob-locked car, that can no longer be opened because the fob is dead/gone/drowned,etc. Pulling up on the lock button does nothing; the lock linkage is disconnected? Or it's all electronic, and that's not possible. Other articles talk about the issue when the car battery is dead, implying again that the lockage is entirely electronic.

The manual, and a few articles, warn about death because people cannot get out from inside. It's more than just triggering the alarm (though that would inhibit my sleep too!). Anybody know about that?

Old 07-26-2017, 12:23 PM
godskid
2nd Gear
[ Interesting that the key fob doesn't normally have a button for alarm. A loaner Countryman (Gen3) did have such a button, which is why I thought my Clubman ought to have one, if it had the alarm system. ]

Old 07-26-2017, 01:04 PM
mashby
3rd Gear
Received 9 Likes on 9 Posts
The best way to test is to have someone lock you in the car with the fob and then move around the car (wear earplugs).

As for disabling the motion detector, this is the process on my Gen2:

1. Insert the valet key into the door

2. Press the lock button on the fob twice

3. Turn the key twice to the right

Hope that helps!

Old 07-26-2017, 03:02 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
Originally Posted by godskid
I think the bigger worry is that the key fob apparently turns off the manual unlocking. This is part of a theft deterrent that (i think) Europe insists on. There are a few article out there for locksmiths who have to deal with a fob-locked car, that can no longer be opened because the fob is dead/gone/drowned,etc. Pulling up on the lock button does nothing; the lock linkage is disconnected? Or it's all electronic, and that's not possible. Other articles talk about the issue when the car battery is dead, implying again that the lockage is entirely electronic.
Give these a try and see if either one works with your car (these might not apply to your model year).

http://www.lockmasters.com/ecommerce...%20article.pdf
It implies that hitting the central unlock switch makes the door handles operational again.

http://www.minif56.com/forum/385-app...tml#post195994
It says pressing lock on the keyfob a second time within 10 seconds disables the deadlock and alarm.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:23 PM
Tio Barry
4th Gear
Received 23 Likes on 19 Posts
I believe the warning in the manual is to guard from locking someone inside the car who does NOT have a fob!

Old 07-26-2017, 03:37 PM
godskid
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by rkw
Give these a try and see if either one works with your car (these might not apply to your model year).

http://www.lockmasters.com/ecommerce...%20article.pdf
It implies that hitting the central unlock switch makes the door handles operational again.

http://www.minif56.com/forum/385-app...tml#post195994
It says pressing lock on the keyfob a second time within 10 seconds disables the deadlock and alarm.

The first was the article I had seen, thanks. But the F54's don't HAVE a central unlock switch anymore, do they? Unless the unlock on the driver's door (no longer quite so central, but still) is the one you mean. I've never had occasion to touch it, so I forget that it's there. It would be a trifle difficult to reach, for somebody in the back (with the back seats down).

Article two was helpful in explaining. It looks like this whole "deadlock" feature may not be included in American markets (for safety reasons). But anyway, as long as I have the fob while inside, I'll be okay. :D

I will test for the motion alarm, but I'm not sure I have that. (Unless it's a default item, and I just haven't triggered the motion sensor yet.)

Thanks y'all!

Old 07-26-2017, 03:39 PM
rkw
OVERDRIVE
Received 121 Likes on 106 Posts
The Owners Manual says this:

I guess you qualify as animal in the vehicle.

Old 07-26-2017, 03:44 PM
godskid
2nd Gear
True! But at least this human-animal has fingers, and can press the key fob.

I'll test for the motion sensor. If I have it, I'll test the double-key-press to disable it.