General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Is my 2014 Countryman totaled? Help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2017, 07:56 AM
Chad Morin
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Is my 2014 Countryman totaled? Help!

Long story short I financed a R60 and loved driving it. It was a perfect city car and was fun to drive on long commutes. After replacing all the ignition coils and plugs, then the whole manual transmission within the first 8 months and dumping $3,500 in to a 56,000 mile car NOT including all the extras like leds , interior furnishings, EBC slotted rotors and pads I decided to sell it. I expected a higher cost of ownership than a Japanese car and it preformed better but I was paying more annual so far in cost of ownership than a 911 which a MINI is certainly not. I know from experience that 911 trans don't fail as quickly and despite the higher cost of Porsche parts the MINI was just not worth the cost of ownership in relation to both boring peppy cars and premium sports cars in my experience. I also moved closer to work and didn't need it. I was on my way to get it detailed when I was rear ended hard by a 20 year old doing 60 while I was at a dead stop. He was a local boy in a country town and if I hadn't had adamant witnesses saying he was at fault I think they would have not wrote him a ticket at all. Despite not hitting his breaks and speeding he was given one ticket. At least it's proven he's the at fault driver. I was carried out of the car on a stretcher and sent to an emergency room where despite the pain I luckily didn't break anything. I am dealing with whiplash issues now that I previously thought were made up lawyer nonsense. It is not.

I want to sell my MINI then this happened. It has been anally maintained. I am in the. I am in the Chicago area and my insurance which is good (State Farm) wants it out of the tow yard. The dodge 2500 that hit me was towed too. The insurance company wants me to take it to an approved repair place but I was thinking a mini authorized facility would be better as these cars are unique. I have read good things about Knauz MINI in the Chicago area but the repair station is under different managment and doesn't have good reviews.

I am hoping it's totaled because it would be months and winter before my mini would be done and it would have a bad carfax so I would be screwed.

Any one think it's repairable? Suggestions?

Old 09-08-2017, 08:21 AM
Minnie.the.Moocher
OVERDRIVE
Received 570 Likes on 486 Posts
Sure looks totaled to me. Glad you aren't more seriously injured although whiplash can linger so don't sign off on any medical release documents saying I'm ok for a long enough time to really know that. Back/neck problems can linger a long time.

How exactly do they expect you to take the car to an approved repair place? They should have a claims person look at the car without you having to lift a finger. Tell them your back hurts when you pick up the phone or stand up to leave the house. Play hardball with them right off the bat. State Farm is an overpriced heavy advertising mammoth giant of an insurance company, I wouldn't trust them to be on your side at all.

Old 09-08-2017, 09:41 AM
AZdsrt
6th Gear
Received 57 Likes on 53 Posts
That mini is totaled, no doubt in my mind. You're lucky you weren't more injured..

Old 09-08-2017, 10:55 AM
Chad Morin
2nd Gear
Yes I am lucky. I didn't mean to not sound grateful.

Old 09-08-2017, 11:06 AM
Chad Morin
2nd Gear
Lateral link damage and I'm hoping subframe.

Now my mechanic thought it might be totaled. He gave a recommendation for a body shop. He said they seem to do good work but never went there before. Should I have it taken there or to a mini approved repair station, or to a State Farm partner shop. My insurance will tow it one place once. It's my choice.

I want the car to be totaled asap but if they decide to fix it, I'd like the best work done. Is a mini certified place better? Whose likely to want to total it?

Thank you

Last edited by Chad Morin; 09-08-2017 at 11:13 AM.
Old 09-08-2017, 11:17 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,017 Likes on 1,813 Posts
Wow, yes, I would say it does.

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old 09-08-2017, 11:34 AM
MrElusive
2nd Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Well there are no MINI authorized repair centers in all of Illinois so you are out of luck there.

Your best bet is to get a few names of body shops from your local MINI dealer and cross-reference with State Farm's list of approved repair places. At the end of the day, you are not obliged to go with any repair shop your insurance company "approves" or "recommends" as they are not really qualified to say who is a good repair shop and who is not. But since it is the kid who hit you and his insurance will be the one footing the bill for your vehicle, it helps State Farm negotiate with the kid's insurance company on your behalf when they know you have taken your vehicle to one of their "approved" body shops for repairs.

As far as your vehicle being totaled, that is a decision that is more or less out of your hands, and in the hands of the insurance companies and the body shop, as it is based on the companies' policies and the financial proposition.

If you want an answer, you need to find out what is the cost to repair, what is the value of the vehicle, and what will it be worth after the repairs.

Old 09-08-2017, 07:12 PM
ItsmeWayne
6th Gear - An Official NAM Greeter
Received 328 Likes on 309 Posts
You can be thankful you were in the Mini you don't want. With their high safety factor, it may have just saved your life! Think about it!
And it does look totaled, but again, it most likely saved your life! That is what a MINI does!
If yours had an automatic, I can understand the failure!

Last edited by ItsmeWayne; 09-27-2017 at 09:17 AM.
Old 09-09-2017, 11:03 AM
osnapcoopertime
1st Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Car is no doubt totaled. Pretty messy inside to but im not judging! My interest in this post is the first part about it costing more than a 911 to maintain. But im confused because wouldnt you be glad its gone if it was costing so much?

Old 09-15-2017, 10:38 AM
GnFnRnBacon
2nd Gear
Received 12 Likes on 11 Posts
Originally Posted by Chad Morin
It has been anally maintained.
This is my new favorite euphemism for "rear-ended".

I'd be super-surprised if that doesn't qualify as totaled.

Old 09-22-2017, 10:11 AM
condor27596
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
State Farm is not good insurance. I have Amica. My POS Mazda was totaled a few weeks ago. They totaled it the next day. I accidently had $5k in medical payments through them as well. That will help a lot with getting myself fixed. I got the value of the extras I had added like a super premium stereo and DVD player. They are paying it off and sending me the extra, then they will send the bill to that lizard company (the person's insurance who hit me). Oh, after I got out of the hospital/bed they had a rental car dropped off at my house.

THAT is how a claim is supposed to be settled.

Old 09-22-2017, 11:17 AM
ApexinM3
3rd Gear
Your Mini sacrificed itself by doing its job in absorbing the impact energy and not transmitting it through you. The rear bumper impact bar, lift gate, and rear body panel is crushed, the right quarter panel is crushed (and likely the inner structure as well). On top of that, the air bags blew, the seat belt pre-tensioner(s) blew requiring a new control module and programming as well. Based on this I would say it's a total loss. I do this for a living (damage appraiser for a body shop) and can tell you there is likely $12k-$15k worth of damage just from what I can see.

As for shops, State Farm will send you to a "partner shop" which may or may not be any good. As to whether SF is any good or not, every insurance company has its issues and SF is no different. It all depends on your claims adjuster. The shop is the one who is your advocate so be careful on your shop selection and do some research before committing to one.

Good luck and God Speed, I'd begin my search for a new car.

Old 09-23-2017, 01:33 PM
RandomGemini
6th Gear
You can tell your insurance agent that you believe the vehicle is totaled and ask them to send a claims adjuster out to view the car. I am with State Farm and MY agent will take my pics of an accident via email and my word that the car is totaled as sufficient evidence that it is necessary to send someone out to the tow yard before the car is sent to a shop for repairs.

Call your agent and ask for some assistance and tell them you would like to get the car totaled and see if they can help you.

Old 09-24-2017, 09:05 AM
Minicoopersmodel
2nd Gear
Yes its' gone.

Old 09-27-2017, 08:20 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Received 2,017 Likes on 1,813 Posts
Buy it back and rebuild to monster MINI!

Like this:

M7 Speed

Or

Lap Motorsport Countryman

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172