General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Stock Leather Seats + Schroth Quickfit VS. Bucket Seats for the track

Search this Thread

Old 07-23-2020, 05:33 PM
r53racer
3rd Gear
Received 24 Likes on 19 Posts
Stock Leather Seats + Schroth Quickfit VS. Bucket Seats for the track

Hi NAM,

I've been finding myself going to the track with my R53 more than I had foreseen. I am still using stock leather seats with Schroth Quickfits. I also find myself pushing my right knee against the down tube to brace myself in the corners.

Would getting a fixed back be so much better? Will it eliminate the need to have my right knee pressing against the downtube? I don't want to have to go through the hassle of replacing my leather, storing it somewhere in the garage, look for proper brackets to install the fixed back and all that jazz only to find out that bucket seats are not that much of an improvement than harness to hold me in.

Just trying to get more subjective opinion from people with experience on the matter because for the hassle of install and for the cost, I want to be efficient and effective with my mods, aside from seat time of course. for the cost and efforts, would I be better off doing other mods such as adjustable camber plates, lighter battery, or cam and headers and tune since I already have a harness?

Thanks in advance.

Old 07-23-2020, 06:16 PM
scotty_r56s
5th Gear
Received 191 Likes on 137 Posts
I’m currently installing OMP WRC-R’s, Schroth harnesses and a 4 point roll bar. If this is your daily or you plan on driving your car more than a couple of days a week, I would not recommend going this route. It’s big undertaking and kind of an all or nothing deal. Go for brakes, suspension and seat time.

Old 07-23-2020, 06:52 PM
r53racer
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by scotty_r56s
I’m currently installing OMP WRC-R’s, Schroth harnesses and a 4 point roll bar. If this is your daily or you plan on driving your car more than a couple of days a week, I would not recommend going this route. It’s big undertaking and kind of an all or nothing deal. Go for brakes, suspension and seat time.
Thanks. car is not a daily and will not be used for it either. Have a daily and been working remotely lately anyway. Not planning on caging yet as I am new to the sport and only been doing hpde/trackday and no wheel to wheel racing. Already have r56 poor mans bbk with ebc yellows and ss lines. I plan to get more seat time which is why I am looking for ways to make my seat time productive by not having to brace. So was wondering if the difference would be night and day between leather seats and bucket seats. Will be doing just the driver then maybe delete passenger seat. Will this upset the balance? rear seats are deleted already.

Will it be a worthy upgrade to a mild track car? I say mild because i still like to use it on the road or get groceries. Will keep AC and PS but don't mind deleting all seats other than driver if worth it. Will keep door cards and interior panels.

fixed back a good idea? Also, will I really feel the weight savings? Thanks

Last edited by r53racer; 07-23-2020 at 07:15 PM.
Old 07-24-2020, 04:58 AM
scotty_r56s
5th Gear
Originally Posted by r53racer
Thanks. car is not a daily and will not be used for it either. Have a daily and been working remotely lately anyway. Not planning on caging yet as I am new to the sport and only been doing hpde/trackday and no wheel to wheel racing. Already have r56 poor mans bbk with ebc yellows and ss lines. I plan to get more seat time which is why I am looking for ways to make my seat time productive by not having to brace. So was wondering if the difference would be night and day between leather seats and bucket seats. Will be doing just the driver then maybe delete passenger seat. Will this upset the balance? rear seats are deleted already.

Will it be a worthy upgrade to a mild track car? I say mild because i still like to use it on the road or get groceries. Will keep AC and PS but don't mind deleting all seats other than driver if worth it. Will keep door cards and interior panels.

fixed back a good idea? Also, will I really feel the weight savings? Thanks
If your adding buckets and a harness, you are going to need a harness bar or a 4 point cage to get the shoulders secured at the correct angle. Also, this should go without saying, get FiA certified seats and harnesses.

The difference will be night and day. You will be lower, more connected with the car and held tight. No more sliding across the leather and you won't have to brace on the wheel or the interior.

You should consider doing both seats. In-car instruction is usually far more beneficial than lead-follow and most organizations require a check ride at some point.

As far as the grocery getter aspect goes, it really depends on what comfort level you can tolerate. My seats are on the floor, getting in and out is a bit of a contortionist act. I suppose that if the seat were higher and mounted on sliders, it would be easier.

Old 07-24-2020, 09:30 AM
r53racer
3rd Gear
If your adding buckets and a harness, you are going to need a harness bar or a 4 point cage to get the shoulders secured at the correct angle. Also, this should go without saying, get FiA certified seats and harnesses.

The difference will be night and day. You will be lower, more connected with the car and held tight. No more sliding across the leather and you won't have to brace on the wheel or the interior.

You should consider doing both seats. In-car instruction is usually far more beneficial than lead-follow and most organizations require a check ride at some point.

As far as the grocery getter aspect goes, it really depends on what comfort level you can tolerate. My seats are on the floor, getting in and out is a bit of a contortionist act. I suppose that if the seat were higher and mounted on sliders, it would be easier.
Thanks Scotty. And I wasn't thinking of the FIA certification until you pointed it out. I was looking at corbeau fx1 since it will be the easiest one to install due to the available bracket for the r53. I was planning on retaining the stock belts and use my Schroth quickfits without cage or harness bar. Probably a bad idea huh?

In your opinion, am I better off waiting until I can afford at the very minimum, two FIA sparco sprints, sliding brackets and planted mounts, two FIA harnesses, and then a harness bar? And just go for more seat time using stock leather and maybe place a non slip shelf liner?

Old 07-24-2020, 09:53 AM
scotty_r56s
5th Gear
Originally Posted by r53racer
Thanks Scotty. And I wasn't thinking of the FIA certification until you pointed it out. I was looking at corbeau fx1 since it will be the easiest one to install due to the available bracket for the r53. I was planning on retaining the stock belts and use my Schroth quickfits without cage or harness bar. Probably a bad idea huh?

In your opinion, am I better off waiting until I can afford at the very minimum, two FIA sparco sprints, sliding brackets and planted mounts, two FIA harnesses, and then a harness bar? And just go for more seat time using stock leather and maybe place a non slip shelf liner?

I would wait. Also, try out some seats before you commit. Usually people in the paddock are more than happy to let you sit in their car and get a feel for the set up. Sparco sprints are a bottom mount, tube frame seat, I'd hold off and spend a little more to get side mount fiberglass or carbon seats. You want to be as low as possible. If you are installing a fixed back seat, the stock seat belts are not the safest thing, go with a good six point harness, don't waste time or money on a four point. This hobby really is a rabbit hole.

Old 07-24-2020, 10:10 AM
r53racer
3rd Gear
I would wait. Also, try out some seats before you commit. Usually people in the paddock are more than happy to let you sit in their car and get a feel for the set up. Sparco sprints are a bottom mount, tube frame seat, I'd hold off and spend a little more to get side mount fiberglass or carbon seats. You want to be as low as possible. If you are installing a fixed back seat, the stock seat belts are not the safest thing, go with a good six point harness, don't waste time or money on a four point. This hobby really is a rabbit hole.
Thanks Scotty. It’s these kinds of advice that are really helpful when getting into this hobby. It is an expensive one and I want to make sure I spend wisely. So far, the only mistake/waste/regret I’ve done is cheaped out and got federals ss595. I now have re71r.

Thanks again, I will heed your advice and wait.

The following users liked this post:
scotty_r56s (07-24-2020)
Old 07-24-2020, 10:47 AM
scotty_r56s
5th Gear
No problem!

Old 07-24-2020, 07:29 PM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 265 Likes on 211 Posts
i used a quickfit before I got sparcos, 6 point and rollbar it's a big improvement but better seats and 6 point does a much better job. I use reclining sparcos because I'm a cheap bastard, if i can ever find a used set of seats I'lll get some, nrg are temping I have a nrg wing on my 135i and it's pretty good

Old 07-24-2020, 08:10 PM
r53racer
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MrBlah
i used a quickfit before I got sparcos, 6 point and rollbar it's a big improvement but better seats and 6 point does a much better job. I use reclining sparcos because I'm a cheap bastard, if i can ever find a used set of seats I'lll get some, nrg are temping I have a nrg wing on my 135i and it's pretty good
Mr blahh, So glad you are chiming in. I don’t foresee myself racing in the next 5 years (fia expiration) If anything, I just plan to do DE and trackdays. I’m also a cheap bastard which is why I search and ask around before pulling the trigger. NRGs are indeed tempting. A rollbar is not in my radar. Maybe it should be as we are talking about safety. Is FIA rating really critical if i’m not going to join anything that will require it? Or is it one of those I never know how far this hobby i get myself into and its better to have it just in case? I’m really leaning towards Corbeaus for the ease of install, but no FIa seats available in the US.

how did you mount your sparcos? Planted seat mounts mounted on the bottom of the seats? Are you using sliders?

Old 07-25-2020, 02:37 AM
MrBlah
6th Gear - AX Champion
Received 265 Likes on 211 Posts
expired seats are fine for HPDE as long as they are in good shape all the clubs around her allow it.

I went seats/bar all at once so I could run a hans neck brace

I use sparco r53 base with sparco sliders

Old 07-25-2020, 08:10 AM
r53racer
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MrBlah
expired seats are fine for HPDE as long as they are in good shape all the clubs around her allow it.

I went seats/bar all at once so I could run a hans neck brace

I use sparco r53 base with sparco sliders
thanks. I didn’t know sparco made r53 base. I’ll look for that one then.