General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

NAVTOOL-Warning

Search this Thread

Old 10-10-2020, 02:37 PM
Husky44
5th Gear
Received 244 Likes on 175 Posts
NAVTOOL-Warning

Posting here instead of the "Navigation and Audio" categories, because these are sold for multiple generations.

I've been looking for a solution to make better use of the Nav screen on my R53. Found a link somewhere that a 1st Gen owner had used the NavTool system. I looked into it, and ended up ordering the HDMI mirroring system for Android.

I read just about every page on their website, and there they make it perfectly clear that you have to follow instructions carefully or you can damage the device or your vehicle. But when the item ships, you don't receive any instructions. On their website they tell you to contact tech support. I have emailed, called, and messaged them through their chat service, and have not received a response in over 4 days. They have a YouTube page with support videos, but when you click on the one for first gen Minis, it takes you to a BMW install video (same for videos for all other generation/model Minis). I went ahead and watched the video, assuming that our cars are made by BMW, so it might be the same even though the screen is a different shape. Unfortunately, the harness they provided is very different than the harness they display in the video.

Shame on me for believing the "A+ Better Business Bureau" display on their web page--when you click it, it takes you to a 20/20 video about BBB, and a rant about how NavTool won't pay for good ratings. Their actual BBB rating is an F. I read the reviews--the complaints sound a lot like my experience; their positive reviews all are short, and very similarly worded.

I'm now bracing for a difficult battle to get my money refunded. I'd encourage others to avoid this vendor. I can't comment on the device itself--I'm not going to attempt to hook it up in my car without instructions.

The following users liked this post:
ECSTuning (01-28-2021)
Old 10-11-2020, 07:30 AM
mildensteve
3rd Gear
Received 57 Likes on 51 Posts
I was about to order the NavTool for my wife's Lexus. From what I read on the Lexus forums they love it and it is easy to install WITH instructions. Wonder why they fall on their face for the Mini? I think I will dig into it more.

Old 01-21-2021, 04:24 PM
Husky44
5th Gear
Received 244 Likes on 175 Posts
Update

Went through the whole process with the credit card company to get their help in arranging a return and refund, after the vendor refused to provide an address to return the (never-installed) item for a refund. CC company gave me full credit for the purchase. I'm not sure if they collected back from the vendor or not.

I have no idea if the product works. I do NOT recommend. Their website is filled with raves about their superior customer service. My experience was significantly different.