General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

ECS Tuning like Amazon???

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-2024, 08:18 PM
bluonyx
4th Gear
Received 163 Likes on 121 Posts
ECS Tuning like Amazon???

Since when did ECS Tuning become like Amazon? Amazon does this crap on faucet aerators and shower heads telling me what I can and can not buy in California. I was going to purchase new charge pipes and ECS Tuning wouldn't let me purchase them saying, "This order contains a product which cannot be shipped to the state of California as per adoption of CARB emissions regulations."

Is there a way around it, or am I just going to have to order through a different vendor?

Old 07-25-2024, 11:06 PM
valthun
4th Gear
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Its a liability thing, true CARB probably has way too much power, but no business wants to feel the wrath of selling something that violates regulations. I remember taking SMOG class at UTI, that training was geared at not just testing the tailpipe emissions and ODB scan, but to inspect the vehicle for non-CARB approved parts. There were giant books filled with parts, and each aftermarket part, related to emissions, installed has to have been tested and certified, then stamped with a number to say its approved for road-use. I know they were looking at cracking down on off-road use as well. I left the state nearly 10 years ago.

Are there work arounds, sure, I won't say what they are though.

Old 07-26-2024, 08:44 AM
cooper48
6th Gear
Received 575 Likes on 464 Posts
Even if you were able to buy and install it (say ship it to an out-of-state address), your car wouldn't pass inspection. You would need to remove it annually for the inspection.

Old 07-26-2024, 09:56 AM
cincicobra
1st Gear
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
I would not risk my business being fined by the government either. ECS is doing the right thing.

Last edited by cincicobra; 07-26-2024 at 12:38 PM.
Old 07-26-2024, 02:25 PM
Thinker2112
5th Gear
Received 87 Likes on 71 Posts
Let's take that one step further to the truly absurd, though probably, still very on point.

ECS shipping certain things to California that are either banned or controlled, I think, would be in violation of the Interstate Commerce Act (more commonly called the Interstate Commerce Clause) which is derived from Article 1, Section 8, Clause 3 of the US Constitution.

Hypothetical example:
Recreational cannabis is legal in both Oregon and California but not on a Federal level. Cannabis is a Schedule 1 controlled substance on a Federal level. There is a State line that is literally one hydrogen atom wide which is covered by the Federal regulations. You can be charged with interstate trafficking of a controlled substance aka drug trafficking even though the substance is legal in both States. It is not, however, legal in the one atom wide space between Oregon and California and thus, cannot be transported across State lines.

The likelihood of being charged with interstate drug trafficking when taking cannabis between Oregon and California is very low, but not zero.

Even Amazon, a company that could regularly pay any fine and still have money left over to loan to God while making BILLIONS in profits- will not risk this. The Feds could, but likely wouldn't, shut them down.

Old 07-27-2024, 07:19 AM
valthun
4th Gear
Its not like amazon has ever shipped a container full of marajuana though. Totally on accident.

Old 08-02-2024, 03:45 AM
Jason8691
1st Gear
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts
Sadly your best option is to leave Commiefornia and move someplace that doesn't try to control every aspect of your life.

The following users liked this post:
James1980 (08-10-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 06:16 AM
RudeJoe
4th Gear
Received 72 Likes on 53 Posts
Originally Posted by Jason8691
Sadly your best option is to leave Commiefornia and move someplace that doesn't try to control every aspect of your life.
That's a rich comment considering reproductive rights law differences between your home state and California. Who's controlling who, and for what reason? I guess it depends on which side of the political spectrum you land on.

spaktacular (08-02-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 06:41 AM
spaktacular
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
It actually has to do with laws designed for the common good of the people, when individuals aren't capable of (or choose not to) seeing how the actions of millions of individuals can collectively harm the entire population.

It's not a hard concept to grasp for most adults, if they put aside their pre-conceived opinions and look at things objectively.

Regarding the OP's point - as a business owner, you follow regulations because when you don't you will not be in business. The OP is fortunate that the government doesn't actively pursue people who willfully disable emission control systems and devices - which is a Federal offense punishable by a significant fine.

Old 08-02-2024, 07:06 AM
Jason8691
1st Gear
Originally Posted by RudeJoe
That's a rich comment considering reproductive rights law differences between your home state and California. Who's controlling who, and for what reason? I guess it depends on which side of the political spectrum you land on.
Not sure what that has to do with what you can do with your car, but you roll with that, or are you worried about getting pregnant and might not be able to get to the abortion clinic because your car won't pass inspection? At least no one here tells me what parts I can or cannot have on my car.

James1980 (08-10-2024)
Old 08-02-2024, 08:22 AM
spaktacular
2nd Gear
Received 18 Likes on 14 Posts
You're incorrect. Texas law prohibits the tampering of any emission related component on a vehicle, as installed by the vehicle manufacturer.

Old 08-02-2024, 08:36 AM
Jason8691
1st Gear
It's odd that no one has ever checked the exhaust on any vehicle I've had inspected here, not once. Modified exhausts have all passed without question as they were never checked.

Old 08-09-2024, 07:09 AM
valthun
4th Gear
Its generally once you get past the cat you can put kind of whatever pipe, since at that point its just pipe and muffler, which isn't affecting the emissions equipment. Generally an airbox and filter isn't affecting the emissions either. Though, once you get to the sensors it can, so those units have to get special certifications that state they meet or exceed the emissions standards of the vehicle. Something like that anyway.