General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2006 JCW header question

Search this Thread

Old Today | 09:04 AM
Christen
|
Neutral
2006 JCW header question

Hi folks,

I have a 2006 mini cooper with a factory JCW package. It's got a little over 100k and it's developed an exhaust leak. My mechanic says it's coming from the precat(?) or the can shaped part before the joint. When I look at the replacement price from mini for the whole assembly that bolts to the exhaust system, it looks like $3k for the part!! That's crazy.

I'm wondering if I can have this header welded up, or, even better, can I upgrade the header and maybe even get a little more HP out of the deal? Thanks in advance!

Old Today | 09:22 AM
ECSTuning
Platinum Sponsor
Hello,

This is a common break at this point. Stock catalytics are $$$$

https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...e-in-half.html

If you don't want to weld it go with an aftermarket. https://www.ecstuning.com/Mini-2006-...t/Performance/

MINI Guru/ MINI Owner Since 2004 | NEW Lifetime Part Replacement | Local Pickup
Milltek | Genuine MINI | Forge Motorsport | NM Engineering | ECS Performance | M7 Speed
Customer Service Hours: 8am-8pm EST|Sales Team Hours: 8am-11pm | SAT 10am-7pm 800.924.5172
Old Today | 09:26 AM
MCS4FUN
6th Gear
First off - wow, joined nearly 15 yrs ago yet this being your first post. A belated welcome!

Mine was highly modded when brand new including a 4-into-1 header. Be aware from my own experience (vs buddy's bone stock 2006 factory JCW with similar low miles to mine), a header will increase dBA heard inside the cabin. Mine currently with resonated Milltek but likely similar with the OEM JCW cat-back. A reminder that there's "no free lunch" with performance mods...

Old Today | 10:57 AM
Christen
|
Neutral
ECSTuning--

Thanks for the info and the links! A couple of questions:

If I did upgrade the header, would I still need to match it with the bigger exhaust ports of my JCW head? My mechanic isn't a performance shop and probably wouldn't know how to port match.

Will an aftermarket header give me a little more HP over the stock one on my JCW?

Will an aftermarket performance header make my CEL come on? I live in a county that does emission tests for inspections. :(

Thanks!

Last edited by Christen; Today at 12:46 PM. Reason: added name
Old Today | 11:03 AM
Christen
|
Neutral
MCS4FUN--

Thanks for the welcome! Yeah, I drove my 06' JCW for years and just lurked here. I parked her when I bought a 2013 JCW coupe. I drove that car for years and sold her a few years ago to get a Honda Ridgeline. The little 06' JCW coupe has stared at me forlornly, wanting to get back on the road and now here we are.

This time around, she's not my DD, so I'm willing to go aftermarket to get some more oomph. I'd like to make the 06' as fast as the 2013 JCW was at least. I don't mind more dBA, I can just turn up the radio.

When you went with the Milltek, was it just a bolt-on? No other mods required, like port matching? Also, does the CEL come on with the Milltek? Thanks!

Last edited by Christen; Today at 12:47 PM. Reason: added name
Old Today | 03:14 PM
MCS4FUN
6th Gear
Having owned a 2013 MCS (low mileage CPO, non-JCW), I liked it but always wanted a Gen1, so sold that and continuously watched BaT listings and local Craigslist ads until spotting my (sig) 2006 in May of 2021.

As to the Milltek cat-back, I like that their design has fewer joints to align than competing aftermarket brands and is considered the #1 selling brand in North America and Europe. Milltek and others bolt directly to the cat pipe flange, thus are direct replacements. I tried it un-resonated initially (complete write-up within my thread topic), however attenuating total dBA from the 4-1 header with its high-flow cat necessitated (for me) the resonated pipe for quieter highway driving. Others here have their own preferences and reasons. In any case, if your OEM JCW cat-back is in good condition (not rusted out or with rattles), perhaps consider retaining that - especially if you decide on going with an aftermarket header. On that score, be careful what you choose since so many on the market now are knock-off designs, i.e., cheap "eBay specials". If you go with a good quality header and catalyst, you'll spend more but might be glad you did. BTW, my header is similar to Milltek's but no visible tags (unless hidden underneath the upper heat shield), so clueless on manufacturer. From the welds and overall high fabrication quality when sourced early in 2006, I'd still like to know. Perhaps a mystery resolved at some future point...