General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Astro Black Registry

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2008 | 02:49 PM
sleeplater
1st Gear
Astro Black Durability/Maintenance

To all Astro Black owners:

I've never had a black car, only silver and white, but I have an AB MCS on order. I haven't seen a ton of complaints, but dispersed within the threads I've seen a few grumblings about how difficult it is to keep AB clean and how easily the "soft" paint gets damaged. Would AB owners say these concerns are overrated, or would you say these are legitimate concerns?

Thanks.

Old 07-14-2008 | 04:44 PM
MINICDN
1st Gear
Here are some Pics of my Astro Black MCS

Attached Thumbnails Astro Black Registry-mini_01.jpg   Astro Black Registry-mini_06.jpg   Astro Black Registry-mini_04.jpg  
Old 07-14-2008 | 05:01 PM
dhoosee
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by sleeplater

I've never had a black car, only silver and white, but I have an AB MCS on order. I haven't seen a ton of complaints, but dispersed within the threads I've seen a few grumblings about how difficult it is to keep AB clean and how easily the "soft" paint gets damaged. Would AB owners say these concerns are overrated, or would you say these are legitimate concerns?

Thanks.
Reports are overblown. The paint is not "soft", and the metal flake helps to hide the dust and minute scratches that the car may get. It's a beautiful finish that shifts from black to DEEP blue depending on how the light hits it. Interesting!

Keep your order for AB. You won't regret it. And, as you probably know, this is the last year for the color. Jet black comes back for '09 (rumor has it) and that would be a bee-och to keep clean!

Good luck!!!!

Old 07-14-2008 | 05:22 PM
Astromini4
1st Gear
I amwaiting for my AB Clubman. I believe it is sitting at the docks for shipment to the US. I can't wait. A friend just drove her sisters AB and absolutely loved the car and color. Count me in the AB Club.

Old 07-14-2008 | 05:42 PM
Chugiakgirl
4th Gear
Astro Black on order...

with only 7 weeks more to wait. I want it NOOOOW! I love the AB color - has an interesting look with sun reflecting off of it. In any case...it's gonna be great!

Old 07-15-2008 | 05:53 AM
CleanSC
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by sleeplater

Thanks.
As a detailing enthusiast, I can give an unbiased report here.

Compared to silver and whites, yes you are in for a different experience. It's not so much that AB is "softer" than other blacks, it's just that it's black. Silvers and whites are very forgiving on your car wash technique while black is not. Silvers and whites also show less dirt than blacks. Just the way it is. The payoff is that AB just explodes off the car when it's clean. Very nice.

Also at play here is the shape of the car. These cars by design are filthy little beasties and just don't stay clean. None of my other and past cars ever have gotten as dirty as she does in literally a few blocks. Amazing. Remember to always wash the back last as that's the dirtiest part.

Now, as said before, AB's silvery hues and high flake do help to hide the swirls but you WILL get the swirls. As soon as the car hits the sun the right way you'll see them.

3M's Foam Polishing Glaze for Dark cars will remove it and leave a PRISTINE AB finish. Beautiful. http://www.autogeek.net/3mperswirmar.html

However, the swirls will be back by the next car wash or the second or third unless you have really honed your anti-swirl car wash methods and follow a good detailing regimen with quality waxes and polishes.

Of course, this shouldn't dissuade you from the color at all unless you can't sleep at night knowing you have minor swirls. If I can stand it, you can, too. Just takes a little more time massaging the finish which most of us don't mind at all. Any excuse to be outside working on her, right?

While I'm here I'll toss a picture of mine in for good measure.

Old 07-15-2008 | 06:50 AM
sleeplater
1st Gear
Swirls

Originally Posted by CleanSC
As a detailing enthusiast, I can give an unbiased report here.

Compared to silver and whites, yes you are in for a different experience. It's not so much that AB is "softer" than other blacks, it's just that it's black. Silvers and whites are very forgiving on your car wash technique while black is not. Silvers and whites also show less dirt than blacks. Just the way it is. The payoff is that AB just explodes off the car when it's clean. Very nice.

Also at play here is the shape of the car. These cars by design are filthy little beasties and just don't stay clean. None of my other and past cars ever have gotten as dirty as she does in literally a few blocks. Amazing. Remember to always wash the back last as that's the dirtiest part.

Now, as said before, AB's silvery hues and high flake do help to hide the swirls but you WILL get the swirls. As soon as the car hits the sun the right way you'll see them.

3M's Foam Polishing Glaze for Dark cars will remove it and leave a PRISTINE AB finish. Beautiful. http://www.autogeek.net/3mperswirmar.html

However, the swirls will be back by the next car wash or the second or third unless you have really honed your anti-swirl car wash methods and follow a good detailing regimen with quality waxes and polishes.

Of course, this shouldn't dissuade you from the color at all unless you can't sleep at night knowing you have minor swirls. If I can stand it, you can, too. Just takes a little more time massaging the finish which most of us don't mind at all. Any excuse to be outside working on her, right?

While I'm here I'll toss a picture of mine in for good measure.
Forgive my ignorance, but would you mind explaining exactly what the swirls are - and what the proper technique is to avoid them?

Also, does the Astro Black show chips and dings more than other colors - or just the same?

Finally, do you have a clear bra, or have you seen one on AB? Would you recommend one?

Thanks.

Old 07-15-2008 | 07:10 AM
CleanSC
2nd Gear
PM sent.

Old 07-15-2008 | 02:08 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
AB will show chips more than lighter colors, because the car's primed in grey (lighter than AB) and most car waxes tend to dry white-ish.

I would STRONGLY suggest a "clear bra" with this color - wish I had done that, mine has stone chips and it's more a result of where I drive (Pennsylvania highway) and the car shape than any paint flaw.

Old 07-15-2008 | 04:16 PM
Chunkstyle
Neutral
My new Astro Black mini was the car I test drove, then started the paperwork to buy minutes later. Love at first drive, and I can't stop looking at her black/blue/purple paint. The complements are nice too.

Old 07-15-2008 | 04:25 PM
Chugiakgirl
4th Gear
Totally used to dark cars

and I'm used to detailing incessantly, as my Boston Green BMW Z3 is a bear to keep clean. But since I love to constantly shine and polish and fuss, I guess it stands to reason why I would choose the Astro Black. On the plus side, it's so tiny that it should be beautiful in no time at all! I might be feeling differently about a black vehicle if it were...say...a Hummer.

Old 07-15-2008 | 05:11 PM
hunsingeruk
5th Gear
Well, I don't have my MINI quite yet, but its being built as I type!

Last week I was actually having some doubts on whether I chose the right color(blue or red were my top two picks until I test drove the AB). My favorite color is Midnight Blue, so after seeing all the pictures in this thread, I have absolutely no doubts that I chose the right color!

I can't wait to bring my car home.

I'll post pics as soon as I get it.

Old 07-16-2008 | 04:22 PM
Chugiakgirl
4th Gear
Congratulations!

How exciting for you! I am only on week one of the long 8 week wait. I can't imagine how exciting it will be to finally get it. I keep checking the miniusa site to see if I've moved up from "on order" to "in production". So far...no.

Keep us posted on how you like the AB color. I've only seen photos of it - never seen one in person. In fact my dealer had ZERO minis for sale when I was in last week. They only had the MCS that the dealer drives (yellow). I'm really interested to know how you like it.

Old 07-17-2008 | 09:02 AM
sleeplater
1st Gear
License Plate Frame(s)

I don't have my AB MCS yet - it should be another week.

I'm considering ordering a black powder coated license plate frame for the front and back that has a wide bottom - to give my plates a more horizontal appearance. http://www.autoattire.com/blliplfr1.html

The Texas plates don't have anything important on the bottom, so this may be a legal route to getting a slightly more Euro look. http://www.dot.state.tx.us/services/...ense_plate.htm

When ordering the plates there are options for 2-hole or 4-hole plates. Which will work best for the MCS? Front and back.

Thanks.

Old 07-17-2008 | 09:09 AM
hunsingeruk
5th Gear
Originally Posted by Chugiakgirl
Keep us posted on how you like the AB color. I'm really interested to know how you like it.
I will give all the details once it arrives and let you know how I feel. I'll also take plenty of photos.

Old 07-17-2008 | 02:41 PM
MINICDN
1st Gear
Originally Posted by DixonL2
I would STRONGLY suggest a "clear bra" with this color - wish I had done that, mine has stone chips and it's more a result of where I drive (Pennsylvania highway) and the car shape than any paint flaw.
+1 Just had my "Clearbra" installed. It looks great (if you can see it!). I think it will be a very good investment with the Astro Black color given all the dust and rocks we get here in AZ on the roads. Especially during one of our famous dust storms.

Old 07-17-2008 | 02:53 PM
hunsingeruk
5th Gear
so, whats a clear bra and how much do they cost? are they a permanent thing or can I take it off if I want to ?

Old 07-17-2008 | 04:32 PM
MINICDN
1st Gear
In my case it's "Scotchgard™ Paint Protection Film from 3M". I was directed to the local company that does most of the Mini dealer installs here by a couple of members of my local Mini Club. The cost to go direct was cheaper than what the dealer charges.

Since it's an adhesive film, it's not something you can put on and take off whenever you feel like it. They did fix up (replace) the headlight film that I had installed myself. (I got over anxious on the last one while doing the headlights and fog lamps! A plastic surgeon I am not! )

All the pieces are computer cut to match your cars shape(bumper/Aero MC or MCS are all different) so you get the correct fit. I have the Hypersport Aero Pkg so the front is a different shape than say the JCW Aero.

I would ask around with your local club to see who has done work for others as I am sure there are good and not so good installers.

Prices here start in the $550+ range for the basic (Hood, Bumper, Mirrors) and then extra for door edges, door cups, windshield header and A-pillars

Last edited by MINICDN; 07-17-2008 at 04:44 PM.
Old 07-17-2008 | 04:49 PM
hunsingeruk
5th Gear
so, if its $550, and I get a scratch or worse a hole or a paint mark on the bra, it'll cost me 550 to replace the bra.

Is'nt it just cheaper to get touch up paint?

Does it affect who the astro black paint looks , ie will it still look like blue in certain light?

Does having it mean it no longer needs waxing? for that matter, does washing it effect it in any way?

Old 07-17-2008 | 06:58 PM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Touch up paint is cheaper, and it works if you're diligent with it (check every wash, clean out the stone chip with a sharp edge, carefully paint into the chip without <OOPS> dripping or blobbing too much on there)... but if you drive a lot of highway you'll have 100+ touch up paint marks on the hood. The clearbra on Mini2Go's pepper white shows no wear after 2 years, save for a small smudge where a rock beat on it - even that is hard to see, and didn't damage the paint underneath. Wish I had one. I have the couple dozen touch up paint marks.

Old 07-18-2008 | 11:27 AM
hunsingeruk
5th Gear
one last question:

when waxing, (on one that is half bonnet, does waxing result look different? in other words is there a delineation as a result of waxing?

On the Astro Black question I asked earlier, do any of the subtle ties get dimminished by having it on?

Old 07-18-2008 | 11:46 AM
DixonL2
6th Gear
Can't answer on AB, but it's darned near invisible on PW. You do have to watch the transition so gunk/dirt doesn't build up along that micro edge of the polymer film though.

Old 07-18-2008 | 01:15 PM
MINICDN
1st Gear
Originally Posted by hunsingeruk
one last question:
On the Astro Black question I asked earlier, do any of the subtle ties get dimminished by having it on?

No, it looks just as good with the film on as it did before. Only at certain angles can you see the line "micro edge as described by DixonL2" and I knew that when I got it installed.

Two other Minis here in the area (PW Clubman and AB JCW) both have it installed so I could see what to expect before I committed to it.

Old 07-18-2008 | 07:16 PM
Chugiakgirl
4th Gear
it's a great protectant

I've had the invisible bra installed on my Z3 for 6 years and it still looks great! I'm getting one on my MCS as well. It's a great way to protect from all kinds of road debris.

Old 07-20-2008 | 07:11 PM
enron29
3rd Gear
Hey guys, thought I should post here. My AB R56.

Name:  IMG_1248.jpg
Views: 295
Size:  16.2 KB

Name:  IMG_1251-1.jpg
Views: 283
Size:  21.1 KB

Quick Reply: Astro Black Registry