General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Does your MINI have a name?

Search this Thread

Old 07-15-2008, 12:35 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
AKIndiMini - Is it a boy or girl?

Old 07-15-2008, 12:42 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Originally Posted by x uh oh x
AKIndiMini - Is it a boy or girl?
Funny that you ask. I'm usually pretty quick to assign a gender to my cars: my old '99 Dakota was definitely a girl (very sensitive...and...lol...moody...), my '94 Jeep a boy...

But the MINI...I'm leaning towards boy. Haven't really put much thought into it.

My gf thinks the whole gender assignment thing is ridiculous, but I swear these things can have certain characteristics and personalities!

Old 07-15-2008, 12:55 PM
blackX5
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Mines Ramsey...after Gordon Ramsay. He likes to scream on high rpm's.

Old 07-15-2008, 01:03 PM
DMAC57
4th Gear
Tomorrow when she is born, she will be christened Maddie

Old 07-15-2008, 01:17 PM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by AKIndiMini
Funny that you ask. I'm usually pretty quick to assign a gender to my cars: my old '99 Dakota was definitely a girl (very sensitive...and...lol...moody...), my '94 Jeep a boy...

But the MINI...I'm leaning towards boy. Haven't really put much thought into it.

My gf thinks the whole gender assignment thing is ridiculous, but I swear these things can have certain characteristics and personalities!
yes, they DO! Although, from that description, I'd have said the Dakota was a BOY!! My husband doesn't understand either the gender thing, nor the naming thing. He thinks I"m a nut. AH well. I'm a happy nut.

If you re-read this thread, you'll see some pretty cool names. OR you can just wait until "he" tells you. I thought mine was a boy, but I suspect it's actually a tomboy. But "it" told me the name after a year of waiting. Yup. I'm a nut.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:16 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
lol! Not to stray too far off topic, but something funny regarding vehicle personalities and my Dakota: When the '05 Toyota Tacomas came out, I decided to stop by the local dealership to test drive one. I drove the Dakota to the dealership, everything worked fine.

Upon returning from the test drive (boy I loved the 4.0 V6 w/ the 6spd!!) , the Dakota refused to start! Cranked over like crazy, but never fired off.

My dad and I decided to leave it there while we ate lunch at a restaurant nearby. After returning, I jokingly patted the dashboard and said, "Don't worry, I won't trade you in on that other truck! I still love you!" and the Dakota started up just fine.

It ran fine, except CEL was on, and since the Toyota dealership was also a Dodge dealership, I had the mechanic scan for codes w/ the factory scan tool. He was rather confused, as the code that showed up did not exist in any of the factory manuals for that truck! After shrugging it off and clearing the code, the truck ran flawlessly. On the way home, my dad laughed it off and said, "She's jealous! It's a good thing you apologized!"

I never ended up buying that Tacoma, which is a good thing because I wouldn't have the MINI today otherwise. The Dakota ended up getting sold to my parents, just before the fuel prices started to skyrocket...

yes, they DO! Although, from that description, I'd have said the Dakota was a BOY!! My husband doesn't understand either the gender thing, nor the naming thing. He thinks I"m a nut. AH well. I'm a happy nut.

If you re-read this thread, you'll see some pretty cool names. OR you can just wait until "he" tells you. I thought mine was a boy, but I suspect it's actually a tomboy. But "it" told me the name after a year of waiting. Yup. I'm a nut.

Old 07-15-2008, 02:19 PM
bk13
2nd Gear
lol pee wee i will name it

Old 07-15-2008, 04:08 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
The gal I bought my MCS from called it the "Brit mobile". I find this kind of funny, considering that she is British. My friends also refer to the car as the "Brit mobile", but somehow I get images of Britney Spears in my head. YUCK!

...I have yet to find a better name for the car.
The Brit Mobile ... so has your car been in and out of rehab??

Whoa ... MINIs in Alaska. I imagine there must be some serious twisties to cruise on up there. Do you hook up with other MINI drivers for runs?

Old 07-15-2008, 04:36 PM
AKIndiMini
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by Halifax
The Brit Mobile ... so has your car been in and out of rehab??

Whoa ... MINIs in Alaska. I imagine there must be some serious twisties to cruise on up there. Do you hook up with other MINI drivers for runs?
Well here in Kodiak, there are a total of 9 MINIs. Apparently someone will be adding a Clubman to the mix sometime this year, for a total of 10. I'd almost dare to say that we have the most MINIs per capita than any other community in Alaska.

So far, the closest thing to a run that we have managed is being in our yearly "Crab Festival" parade. I've been trying to somehow organize some sort of photo shoot and a run, as we have some twisties "out the road" that are a blast. I tend to be rather random in my own trips out the road, so I have yet to have yet to go on a cruise with any of the other MINI owners (aside from the parade).

Old 07-15-2008, 05:16 PM
Halifax
4th Gear
Well here in Kodiak, there are a total of 9 MINIs. Apparently someone will be adding a Clubman to the mix sometime this year, for a total of 10. I'd almost dare to say that we have the most MINIs per capita than any other community in Alaska.

So far, the closest thing to a run that we have managed is being in our yearly "Crab Festival" parade. I've been trying to somehow organize some sort of photo shoot and a run, as we have some twisties "out the road" that are a blast. I tend to be rather random in my own trips out the road, so I have yet to have yet to go on a cruise with any of the other MINI owners (aside from the parade).
Sweet. I just finished browsing your gallery ... nice pics, especially the miniplane.jpg .. what a great shot! Looking forward to seeing more of your photo work in the future. Thanks!

Old 07-20-2008, 12:24 PM
chowdah
3rd Gear
Bigelow Burble Butt ... "Bigelow" is from the Bigelow Mountain range in Maine, and "Burble" is from the burble sound he makes out his rear end!

Old 07-21-2008, 07:56 AM
exposition
5th Gear
I named my MINI Miss Zipp.

Old 07-31-2008, 09:06 PM
803R50
3rd Gear
So i need some help picking a name. It was either gonna be Hero or Buddy/bud so i decided to go with buddy unless others like hero. But i was thiking about spicing it up on the Buddy part, here are some other translations for buddy since hero didnt translate so well

German:
-Kumpel... kinda cool
-Knospe (bud)

British: (you know austin powers britt and our cars symbol)
-Bloke
-Mate
-Chum

oh then there is 'Mucker' or mucca wich is british for pal

can someone help me!!

Old 07-31-2008, 09:30 PM
Juiceman
4th Gear
" Crunchy "
see my gallery pics....

Old 08-01-2008, 03:25 AM
dhoosee
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Mixed_Blood_Mini
So i need some help picking a name. It was either gonna be Hero or Buddy/bud so i decided to go with buddy unless others like hero. But i was thiking about spicing it up on the Buddy part, here are some other translations for buddy since hero didnt translate so well

German:
-Kumpel... kinda cool
-Knospe (bud)

-Bloke
-Mate
-Chum

can someone help me!!
I'm on board with Kumpel or Chum. You could also call it Chumley; adding the "ley" gives a nod to the walrus from the old Tennessee Tuxedo cartoon (not that that has anything to do with MINI..it's just different).

Old 08-02-2008, 06:38 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear

German:
-Kumpel... kinda cool
-Knospe (bud)

-Bloke
-Mate
-Chum

can someone help me!!
I like Bloke or Chum - if you chose Mate, few but MINIsts would understand...and it might take on a "darker" sex-related connotation you weren't looking for! I like Hero, too.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:14 AM
803R50
3rd Gear
HAha wow thanks.... so lets see the count is

Chum - 2
Bloke - 1
Kumpel - 1
Hero - 1

Originally Posted by dhoosee
I'm on board with Kumpel or Chum. You could also call it Chumley; adding the "ley" gives a nod to the walrus from the old Tennessee Tuxedo cartoon (not that that has anything to do with MINI..it's just different).
Haha i love it! I remember him, too funny. What a great idea. Your idea gave me another one though. Remember the Wacky Races?? I could use a name from that, like Muttley, or the The Red Max, something like that. I thought it would be neat. That show was tooo funny

I like Bloke or Chum - if you chose Mate, few but MINIsts would understand...and it might take on a "darker" sex-related connotation you weren't looking for! I like Hero, too.
AHAHAHA yeah i thought about that, i said you know that isnt gonna be good. Hero was one of my first choices, and i was thinking baout that because he is my hero, but its also for my dad so...

This is gonna be so much harder than i expected...thanks everyone , feel free to keep posting ideas...i may have to start a thread for this.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:19 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
I could use a name from that, like Muttley, or the The Red Max, something like that. I thought it would be neat. That show was tooo funny
OOOOOH, I vote for MUTTLEY!!!

Old 08-02-2008, 08:41 AM
MrsZug
2nd Gear
I thought I was going to name my PW/PW Clubman w/black bonnet stripes Elton (for Elton John, of course). The bonnet looks a bit like a piano keyboard, after all. Then I thought about Levon (from Elton John's song). I was struggling to find a name that fit for a Texas-born anglophile like myself.

Then it hit me...AUSTIN. Part British (Austin Powers), part Texan (as in the capital). I was sad when I found out 'OBEHAV' is already taken on TX personalized plates.

Old 08-02-2008, 08:54 AM
803R50
3rd Gear
Ok so i started a new thread so that i wouldnt crowd this one up with my personal topic. You can post here or find mine if you wish.

Its right here:
https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...64#post2401964

Old 08-02-2008, 08:57 AM
803R50
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by MrsZug
Then it hit me...AUSTIN. Part British (Austin Powers), part Texan (as in the capital). I was sad when I found out 'OBEHAV' is already taken on TX personalized plates.
Nice! Love the Brit/Texan mix, real sweet.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:00 AM
803R50
3rd Gear
OOOOOH, I vote for MUTTLEY!!!
HAHA I know right? i said no way that would be too nice. His laugh is too funny.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:11 AM
x uh oh x
6th Gear
Originally Posted by MrsZug
I thought I was going to name my PW/PW Clubman w/black bonnet stripes Elton (for Elton John, of course). The bonnet looks a bit like a piano keyboard, after all. Then I thought about Levon (from Elton John's song). I was struggling to find a name that fit for a Texas-born anglophile like myself.

So shorten it to O B HAAV ...?

Old 08-02-2008, 09:12 AM
futuremini
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Rowan is what got stuck in my head for my mini. He seems happy with it.

Old 08-02-2008, 09:19 AM
MrsZug
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by futuremini
Rowan is what got stuck in my head for my mini. He seems happy with it.
Congrats, futuremini! I saw your pics on the OL site -- Rowan is very handsome indeed!

So shorten it to O B HAAV ...?
Hmm...good idea, and it's still available. It looks like we can't use spaces though, and it's a 6-character limit. So I'd have to do it this way:

OBHAAV

Whaddaya think? I'm sure most people wouldn't get it.

Quick Reply: Does your MINI have a name?