General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Your worst nightmare call from your service manager

Search this Thread

Old 01-30-2007, 12:45 PM
HPUdrew
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Most insurance companies will cover modifications, but you bet you are paying for it. If you add $2k in wheels, $1k in suspension, $4k in motor mods, $1k in interior.... they will be glad to cover the cost, but they will increase your charges too. Some people will show their mods to insurance agencies and pay extra for them to be covered, most of us don't think about it, or prefer not to let the man know what we've done to our cars.

I don't know what the outcome will be for you, and I do understand how you feel, but honestly be glad that this didn't happen to you when you had yourself and family in the car. Or just the fact that the MINI tech was not injured... cars and money come and go...

Drew

Old 01-30-2007, 01:05 PM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Here's how our company's policy reads (if you take the time to read yours, I'm sure you'll find similar language):

"We have the right to choose to settle with you or the owner of the covered vehicle in one of the following ways:

a. (talks about cost to repair)

b. Pay the actual cash value (ACV) of the covered vehicle, minus any deductible. The owner and we must agree on the ACV. IF there is disagreement, the it will be resolved by appraisal upon written request of the owner or us, using the following procedures:"

And it goes on to talk about the appraisal procedure in great detail.

Bottom line, if you don't have receipts for your mods, there is no way you're going to be able to prove the worth of said mods if your vehicle should ever become a total loss.

Old 01-30-2007, 02:59 PM
chows4us
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by bamatt
Does anyone know if the insurance will cover the $10K in mods. I know from a loss on a previous car that my aftermarket stereo was not covered because it was not a "factory" installed item
This ALL depends upon the insurance company. Each one is different and making generalizations about any one is meaningless because it does not apply to all insurance companies.

I know mine says specifically, anything over $500 you add ... that includes TIRES ... you must pay for a rider.

I argued with the underwriters about the JCW kit being a dealer installed option and they AGREED. Dealer installed FACTORY options are covered .... thing like pulleys, suspensions (other than JCW), etc ... you pay for a rider

So caveat emptor ... all insurance companies are different.

Old 01-30-2007, 03:07 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Well this just well and truly sucks. I'm sorry about your loss.

As a lark, I would go to the dealer, and start looking at new Mini's. when an MA comes over to make the sale, tell them you're looking for the new Mini that they're going to buy for you!

Old 01-30-2007, 04:58 PM
Warped1966
5th Gear
I like the way you think Gromit801.

My condolences to the person who lost the Mini due to fire.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:58 PM
SCoop
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
PMC, I'm so sorry to hear about yet another fire, and one that did so much damage too! I've added you to the growing list of MINIs that have had spontaneous engine bay fires.

Is New Country MINI going to replace your car? Maybe you should show them the list...? From your description it sounds like yet another power steering pump issue.

Good luck!

SCoop

Old 01-31-2007, 06:07 PM
4GAZM
5th Gear
oh my i saw your car the other day while i was down at the dealer their, i just moved to conneticut for a design job here,

anywho the porters were like check out that car it blew up then they told me it belonged to a lawer and you had it tricked out and they were saying you ran alcahole or something so i just chuckeld.

but im sorry to here your loss, at least it didnt burst into flames while you were driving it

good luck in your endevores

Old 02-01-2007, 05:52 AM
PMC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by SCoop
PMC, I'm so sorry to hear about yet another fire, and one that did so much damage too! I've added you to the growing list of MINIs that have had spontaneous engine bay fires.

Is New Country MINI going to replace your car? Maybe you should show them the list...? From your description it sounds like yet another power steering pump issue.

Good luck!

SCoop
I have provided the list via e-mail links of this thread to the dealer's manager, Brian Arndt of NEW COUNTRY MINI in Hartford, CT, and to my insurer's fire investigator. I am now waiting for my insurer's investigator and the dealer's insurer's investigator to get together to do a thorough exam of the vehicle. I plan to be there with my camera, too.

By my calculations, I believe a new 2007 MCS would come close to making me whole, and it would certainly show the good faith and support of the dealer. If they will not do the right thing, watch out. If the parties just want to give me a check in an amount that is much less than my calculations, I will go to another dealer and manufacturer with a very bitter aftertaste from what had been a great relationship with and many recommendations for MINI and NEW COUNTRY MINI.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:03 AM
PMC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by 4GAZM
oh my i saw your car the other day while i was down at the dealer their, i just moved to conneticut for a design job here,

anywho the porters were like check out that car it blew up then they told me it belonged to a lawer and you had it tricked out and they were saying you ran alcahole or something so i just chuckeld.

but im sorry to here your loss, at least it didnt burst into flames while you were driving it

good luck in your endevores
Please PM me with more info regarding the comments at the dealership. I would like to hear the full story and I may need the details in my negotiations. If the dealer does not do the right thing for me, yours may be the last chuckles heard there. However, I remain optimistic for now and wish to continue to work with this dealer on another MINI. I do not plan to go wild with mods on any future MINI, though.

The water/methanol injection (not alcohol) system was not connected electically or via its plumbing system to the M7 DFIC for several months before the "incident", and it uses what amounts to a premium washer fluid via the windshield washer reservoir. If anyone wants a complete list of my mods (3.5 page list), PM me.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:07 AM
whskysouth
3rd Gear
PMC I am sorry to hear about your loss. I do hope the dealersip or MINI/NA makes it right.

Scoop thanks for providing the link to your post. I had not seen that before. I will count myself very lucky not to be on that list. I was driving back to SC from Canada when I lost power steering. The dealer told me the power steering pump had fried.

Old 02-01-2007, 06:16 AM
PMC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Gromit801
Well this just well and truly sucks. I'm sorry about your loss.

As a lark, I would go to the dealer, and start looking at new Mini's. when an MA comes over to make the sale, tell them you're looking for the new Mini that they're going to buy for you!
I received an e-mail invite for a party at the dealer, NEW COUNTRY MINI of Hartford, CT, introducing the 2007 models. Maybe I should crash that party with pictures and info as to the fate of my vehicle if the dealership and MINI USA do not do the right thing and make me whole.

Old 02-01-2007, 08:56 AM
legalr
2nd Gear
Originally Posted by machineguncharley
PMC...

VERY sorry to hear about your situation. [...] but if things do get hairy, perhaps a sharply worded letter will sober the insurance co./your mini dealer up in a hurry.
Insurance companies get sharply worded letters every day--that's their business. Your best hope is that your MINI dealer will ask his liability insurance company to resolve the claim speedily and fairly so that his customer relation with you won't be impaired. But he may not? He may leave it up to his liability carrier to do as they choose? The claims representative of the dealer's insurance carrier won't be intimidated by sharply worded letters.

Sorry to hear about your situation!

Old 02-01-2007, 04:10 PM
jochet
1st Gear
I'm sorry to hear about your Mini, hopefully you will resolve this without to much aggratvation. One would think that your upgrades should be reimbursable and not the basis for blame since you have had them without incident. I would also hope that you can claim loss of services, and mental anguish. Good luck and thank god no one was hurt.

Old 02-01-2007, 04:18 PM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Originally Posted by PMC
I have provided the list via e-mail links of this thread to the dealer's manager, Brian Arndt of NEW COUNTRY MINI in Hartford, CT, and to my insurer's fire investigator. I am now waiting for my insurer's investigator and the dealer's insurer's investigator to get together to do a thorough exam of the vehicle. I plan to be there with my camera, too.

By my calculations, I believe a new 2007 MCS would come close to making me whole, and it would certainly show the good faith and support of the dealer. If they will not do the right thing, watch out. If the parties just want to give me a check in an amount that is much less than my calculations, I will go to another dealer and manufacturer with a very bitter aftertaste from what had been a great relationship with and many recommendations for MINI and NEW COUNTRY MINI.
At this point, do not rely on e-mail to send things to the dealer. Everything should be by registered, receipt return mail. Don't need them saying "Gee, we never got his mail."

Old 02-01-2007, 04:37 PM
graphicjoe
3rd Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Everyone seems to assume that the dealer and insurance carriers will be out to deny you adequate coverage, or will be unfair, etc.

While this is sometimes true, I've had remarkably mixed responses from insurance carriers. Starting out by assuming they are honest and fair is not a bad thing--so long as you document all communication with those involved. Neither does it hurt to keep following up to be sure that they understand your interest in getting things resoved, possibly with a new Mini from the dealer who has been helpful and reasonable.

Good luck,

Joe S

Old 02-02-2007, 05:35 AM
HaveBulldogWillTravel
2nd Gear
You cannot CRASH this party...you have

an invitation. I hope all goes well and you show up to the party with the idea of eventually ordering a NEW Mini...GL!
Originally Posted by PMC
I received an e-mail invite for a party at the dealer, NEW COUNTRY MINI of Hartford, CT, introducing the 2007 models. Maybe I should crash that party with pictures and info as to the fate of my vehicle if the dealership and MINI USA do not do the right thing and make me whole.

Old 02-02-2007, 05:47 AM
PMC
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by HaveBulldogWillTravel
an invitation. I hope all goes well and you show up to the party with the idea of eventually ordering a NEW Mini...GL!
Point taken; I do not know how happy they will be to see me there, however, if this saga reaches the adversarial stage by that time. I have enjoyed driving my MINI, modding my MINI, attending MINI events, and meeting many other MINI enthusiasts. I would very much like to continue in this regard, but given my line of work I have developed a distrust of human nature and cannot be overly optimistic.

Old 02-02-2007, 06:08 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
Peter, I just got your PM and have been wading through this thread. This really sucks.That's all that can be said. Hope New Country knows the value of both a satisfied and a dissatisfied customer.Providing you with a new car would do them the most good, I just hope they realize it. It takes years to build a good relationship and seconds to destroy it. They could write off any expense involved in advertising. Years ago when i first met you at that pulley party in Hartford, Randy Webb described your car as the fastest he'ld ever driven.........that says a lot coming from him. I'm sure the twinchargers out there would give you a run for your money these days. I think you were the first one I ever heard of who had a plug go airborn.Keep us informed . By the way notsoredandwhite is selling his 03 highly modded for around 15k.Gimme a minute and I'll pm you the link. Hope to see you at MOT with or without a MCS. Yer pal, Jock

Old 05-25-2007, 09:58 AM
PMC
3rd Gear
Conclusion

Investigation by my insurer, dealer's insurer, and BMW/MINI USA did not reach a consensus or conclusion as to the cause and origin. I have my suspicions, but they would not go far in court. Thus, I was best taking my losses and getting the most that I could from my insurer.

I am having technical difficulties attaching pictures. Either enlighten me or pm me if you want to see the gory details.

Do not feel too sorry for me, as I will be smiling when I blow by your MINIs in my RS4.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:11 AM
PMC
3rd Gear
Pictures

See attached. More pictures available.

(2007 Audi RS4)Your worst nightmare call from your service manager-the-death-of-dbcooper-002-1.jpg

Your worst nightmare call from your service manager-the-death-of-dbcooper-005-1.jpg

Your worst nightmare call from your service manager-the-death-of-dbcooper-008-1.jpg

Old 05-25-2007, 10:16 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Oh dear.....just awful images! Best wishes to you for an acceptable outcome in this very sad situation.

Old 05-25-2007, 10:21 AM
PMC
3rd Gear
The Anti-MINI

Your worst nightmare call from your service manager-dsc_0018-1.jpg

Your worst nightmare call from your service manager-dsc_0005-1.jpg

Your worst nightmare call from your service manager-dsc_0002-1.jpg

2007 Audi RS4

Old 05-25-2007, 10:39 AM
Skuzzy
OVERDRIVE
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Oh dear.....just awful images! Best wishes to you for an acceptable outcome in this very sad situation.
It's like that Mini was going to a casting call for "Dawn of the Dead: The Mini Munchers!". EEEEEEEKK!

Old 05-25-2007, 01:57 PM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Good luck with your Audi.