General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

DSC Yeah!

Search this Thread

Old 01-31-2007, 03:36 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
DSC Yeah!

Drove home last night and the roads were covered with ice.
Played around at low speeds sliding the car about and forcing the DSC to activate. Amazing! Thanks MINI

Old 01-31-2007, 05:17 AM
WannaMini_
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
There's so much controversy on whether the DSC helps or hinders in snow and ice. I'm a true believer that it helps GREATLY in the thin stuff.

But if you get stuck in the deep stuff? Disable it, and rock the car out.

Old 01-31-2007, 05:40 AM
kenchan
6th Gear
^^ +1

Old 01-31-2007, 06:43 AM
norm03s
6th Gear
Originally Posted by WannaMini_
There's so much controversy on whether the DSC helps or hinders in snow and ice. I'm a true believer that it helps GREATLY in the thin stuff.

But if you get stuck in the deep stuff? Disable it, and rock the car out.
Yes, thats exactly it. When you need to put constant power to the wheels in those conditions I turn it off. On Ice glazed roads though it really does work GREAT.

Old 01-31-2007, 06:46 AM
gokartride
6th Gear
Originally Posted by norm03s
Thanks MINI
Does tend to make one appreciative, doesn't it?

Old 01-31-2007, 06:56 AM
Yucca Patrol
Coordinator :: Alabama Motoring Society & South East
DSC is a great for handling the unexpected puddle or patch of ice during those times when we are not in a performance driving mindset.

When I'm crusing along on the highway peeling and eating hardboiled eggs and an unexpected deep puddle surprises me, that is when I say "thanks DSC".

Old 01-31-2007, 07:39 AM
Jakemini
1st Gear
DSC works. With all the snow and ice we have had here in Denver, DSC has come to my rescue many times. I am glad that I have this device on my car. You may only need it once, but that once may save your life.

Old 01-31-2007, 09:55 AM
Greatbear
Moderator :: Performance Mods
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
+1 on the fact that DSC does work. I leave it on in normal driving for that unexpected situation. I've played with DSC the same way as Norm03 has and it can and will save your bacon.

Old 01-31-2007, 10:34 AM
ProfessorDave
6th Gear
When I'm crusing along on the highway peeling and eating hardboiled eggs
Where is this egg peeling option? Is it part of the cupholder? And I can't imagine that MINI put in an egg peeler and didn't include a salt & pepper shaker, right?

I really have to study my interior...

Old 01-31-2007, 11:19 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Originally Posted by norm03s
Drove home last night and the roads were covered with ice.
Played around at low speeds sliding the car about and forcing the DSC to activate. Amazing! Thanks MINI

+++1 I would not have a Mini without it. Just remarkable

Old 01-31-2007, 11:51 AM
Jahmills
5th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I read this on another forum? Any truth to it?

It talks about how the system reduces engine throttle/power when the ABS is applied to the wheel that loses traction and how this can be a problem during the winter when trying to climb icy hills and inclines. Whereas you'll have traction, but may not have enough power to reach the top of the incline.

They state to:
"Push and hold the ASC+T/DCS button; the traction control light will illuminate for several seconds (about 10), the go off. Once the light is off, release the button. Your BMW's traction control system is now in a mode where ABS will be applied to the wheels that lose traction, but the engine throttle will not be reduced.

Note:Unlike normal traction control operation, where you can go from ON to OFF and back again just by pushing a button, once your BMW is in this "half-mode", the only way to deactivate it is to turn the engine off. The next time you start the engine, it will revert to normal mode (traction control ON)."

Old 01-31-2007, 11:55 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by Jahmills
I read this on another forum? Any truth to it?
I'm pretty sure this has been tried on several different model years of the MINI, and it doesn't apply to us. A shame.

Incidentally I love DSC too, so +1 to all those comments. The fact it can still be turned off when you want to (on the track, during heavy acceleration, or unburying yourself from deep snow) makes it a "no brainer" option IMO.

It should be standard, with a switch to disable ASC+T and keep DSC on.

Old 01-31-2007, 02:55 PM
lotsie
Banned
Originally Posted by Edge

It should be standard, with a switch to disable ASC+T and keep DSC on.
That would be interesting, but I thought the ASC+T was the base for the DSC.

Mark

Old 01-31-2007, 04:34 PM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by lotsie
That would be interesting, but I thought the ASC+T was the base for the DSC.
It is... but DSC adds "extra" functions on top of ASC+T.

I would love to keep the invididual wheel braking and yaw control features of DSC, without the annoying "wheelspin traction control" mechanisms of ASC+T that seem to make it very difficult to accelerate hard from stoplights, etc.

Basically, if you aren't spinning or sliding sideways, ignore the wheelspin! That would be a great balance.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:22 AM
JPMM
6th Gear
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Last night when I had the cruise control on I wiggled the car a little and the DSC activated and killed the cruise. The car was saying no,no,no ...don't do that ,its too slippery

Old 02-07-2007, 09:26 AM
Fullpint
3rd Gear
I've read that turning off DSC also turns off Traction Control. If this is true, can Traction Controll be turned off without DSC on a MINI?

Old 02-07-2007, 10:10 AM
capnmini
4th Gear
Originally Posted by Yucca Patrol
DSC is a great for handling the unexpected puddle or patch of ice during those times when we are not in a performance driving mindset.

When I'm crusing along on the highway peeling and eating hardboiled eggs and an unexpected deep puddle surprises me, that is when I say "thanks DSC".
Where you trying to finish those deviled eggs on your way to a party?

AND yes DSC is freakin great in the deep snow!

Old 02-07-2007, 11:22 AM
Edge
AdMINIstrator
Originally Posted by Fullpint
I've read that turning off DSC also turns off Traction Control. If this is true, can Traction Controll be turned off without DSC on a MINI?
Your question can be interpreted several ways... since I'm not sure which way you meant, I'll answer them all:

1) If a MINI DOES have the DSC option, it is not possible to turn off traction control without also turning off DSC. Believe me, I wish it was possible!
2) If an MCS doesn't have the DSC option at all, then it still comes with traction control as standard (ASC+T), and there is a switch (the same switch!) to disable it.
3) If an MC doesn't have the DSC option, it doesn't have traction control either, so there is no switch because there's nothing to turn off.

Does that clarify things?

Old 02-07-2007, 06:43 PM
Fullpint
3rd Gear
Originally Posted by Edge
2) If an MCS doesn't have the DSC option at all, then it still comes with traction control as standard (ASC+T), and there is a switch (the same switch!) to disable it.
Sorry for the ambiguity, but door number 2 was my question and you answered it. Thank you very much!

Old 02-24-2007, 09:23 PM
El_Jefe
6th Gear
Received 18 Likes on 16 Posts
I have just tested the dsc/astc out to the limit in terms of low speed driving.

1 week ago there was 1-2 inches of solid ice in my neighborhood. no sand, no salt, no plows. hardened nightly getting more slick. all the v8 bimbo mobile suv's were sliding around but moving. the mini.... I put it in first, drove, flew around the neighborhood, drove up a steep hill.... um... the thing never spun, never slid, the tires never broke free. I was driving as if it was 80 degrees and sunny out

+400 for dsc and its bastard hated stepchild astc. the all season kept my tires from spinning. SHould be noted for scientific purposes that I have LSD on the car as well. it never locked up though, so technically the asct and dsc did the job.

people want the dsc only for performance driving. however, on ice and snow like I was, starting up hills and such the astc was the one doing its job. It really isnt that bad guys

I believe though that the mini cooper regular when you get DSC doesnt get astc. I could be wrong though. the catalog says that in 2006 it seems and dealership people believed that as well. shrugs.