General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

"Steering Angle Sensor"

Search this Thread

Old 02-02-2007, 08:05 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
"Steering Angle Sensor"

As my ride approaches 90 k I have had some very expensive failures, most recently the alternator (bearings failed instantaneously 4 miles from the dealer, didn't seize, but almost) That was an $869 process. While doing that job, they noticed an oil leak , but because oil was everywhere, couldn't tell where it was coming from , so they cleaned it up and told me to come back in a week. Lo and behold it was the main seal just inside the balancer pulley. Gee., I bet that would have been a lot easier to replace(read cheaper) while they were replacing the alternator. Plan to repair in 2 weeks.
So 2 days ago I get in the car to go to work and the flat tire light AND the DSC light come on and stay on.Tried the reset............nothin. Back to the dealer who tells me it's a failure of something called the "steering angle sensor" $188 for the parts and $200 labor. So when I go back to get these 2 items squared away I 'm once again going to be out $800 ...........this is getting old. Anyone know just what this sensor is supposed to do? The real kick is when I got the car back the 2 lights were off and have not come back on since??? I'm scheduled to have these things both done on the 19th of Feb. and meanwhile I asked the mechanic if it was alright to drive the car with this sensor gone and he said, "oh sure" Jock

Old 02-02-2007, 08:10 AM
Partsman
Legion_of_Doom
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The steering angle sensor is basically steering wheel position. In order for the DSC to operate correctly, the vehicle must know where the front wheels are pointing.

Old 02-05-2007, 08:36 AM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Old 02-05-2007, 09:35 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
Annette, back in June you wrote
"Anyway, all has been running perfectly ever since"
still good? The dealer reset the code and it has not come back on( DSC and Flat tire idiot lights) since.???????? Does this simply refer to a "time out" as someone suggested? I'd really rather not have to spend roughly $400 to chase this gremlin if there's nothing wrong, capische? Jock

Old 02-05-2007, 12:20 PM
BoCRon
6th Gear
Knock wood, all is fine with El Kabong.
Hope it works out for you.
On a side note, I finished Driver's School that weekend then took it to the dealer on Monday. Luckily for me, my mechanic buddy was also attending the DS and checked out El Kabong and gave me the go ahead.
Annette

Old 02-05-2007, 12:57 PM
Dr Obnxs
Former Vendor
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Sounds like it's intermittant...

if you want to save some $, cancle the service. I don't know if it's a code that the OBD would clear or it's Mini specific. Give Andy at Ross Tech a call (check the web for the phone number, he doesn't read here much anymore) and ask him. He'd know. There's a possibility that you can get something to clear the code yourself. Andy will know if the Peak tool will do it, or if you have to get the AutoEnginuity with BMW/Mini extensions. This would allow you to clear the code yourself if it's a once a month/quarter/year type thing....

Just a thought if you'd rather do a bit yourself, and end up with some good diagnostics as well....

Matt

Old 02-05-2007, 01:27 PM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
thanks Matt, I still have to go and have my crank seal replaced,but I may well cancel the sensor replacement for now. I'll give Andy a call as you suggested. I used to love the "show me the numbers" troll show that used to revolve around him back in the "old" MCO days. Jock

edit: wow I just hit a thousand posts..............man, that's pathetic! I should really get a life one of these days