General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Wreck

Search this Thread

Old 02-05-2007, 01:26 PM
homerwest
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wow - you have our prayers for a quick recovery. Your Mini looks better than our old suv did after we totalled it a few years ago!

Old 02-05-2007, 02:51 PM
CRRIKEY
4th Gear
ouch

Old 02-05-2007, 04:56 PM
nick-NY
1st Gear
Very sorry for your loss, the vehicle was designed to sacrifice its self for it's passengers and it looks like it did a very good job.

Old 02-05-2007, 05:15 PM
oldtrojan66
4th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Collin, Glad you and your passengers are as well as you are. Wrecks are never good, but "smooth" is as good as the feeling gets. Probably due to the good basic design of our autos. Good luck with the repair/replacement.
Originally Posted by millerd2
We got rear ended while driving our 3 month old MCSa a few weeks ago. And while it sucked getting hit I couldn't believe how well the car protected us. A MINI vs. pick-up truck collision is not a fair fight, especially when the other vehicle is traveling at 50 mph, but we walked away in good shape.
This is good to hear. From other things I've read, the rear collisions are the worst for the MINI. Glad you are okay as well.

Old 02-05-2007, 06:36 PM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
Well I got a chance to Visit Spike today and I will say he looks borderline totaled. The right front wheel is pushed all the way back in the wheel well so I know there is some suspension damage. I was able to open the Bonnet though and there is no engine damage from what I can tell and I turned the key and he started right up and sounded better than ever. I just wanted to put him in reverse and take off out of the impound lot and I was so sad that I couldn't.
I would say the damage is at least $12,000 if not more due to the suspension damage. Anyone have a similar accident with a total cost of damage??

This is the aftermath of not buckling up in the back seat...

Old 02-06-2007, 12:14 AM
shack01
2nd Gear
Yikes! My guess is he's totaled. Your guess of $12k is probably low. When Rodan was rear-ended, the initial estimate was $6k but the final bill was $13+k! And we had a lot less damage. New bonnet, p/s glass and mirror, left quarterpanel and boot. Glad to hear everyone is OK. Bummer about your ride, tho.

Old 02-06-2007, 12:45 AM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
oh man! I hope Spike makes a full recovery!

Old 02-06-2007, 02:42 AM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Oh, Collin! I'm so sorry about Spike (who is my Wanda's twin, BTW), and that your buddy was injured. But look at it this way, Spike saved you and your other buddy from injury. I'd reconsider getting a classic Mini...one of those would not have protected you like Spike did. Please keep us posted.

Old 02-06-2007, 05:35 AM
SpitfireMkI
6th Gear
A friend of mine just lost his sister in a single car accident where she got two wheels off on one side, smacked a mail box, and when she tried to get back on the road over corrected, shot across to the other side and went off again, this time the car went over the embankment and nosed over, the roof hit some trees and she was crushed. All less than a mile from home.

Spike's mishap and my buddy's loss are just scary reminders of how dangerous driving can be, even when not hot *******.

My wife always thanks Wensleydale for a safe trip whenever we go out, looks like Minis are very dedicated little friends......

Mike

Old 02-06-2007, 06:20 AM
meg
5th Gear
Similar damage to my 'vert back in Novemeber although my car actually rolled onto the right side. Not as much front end damage. My car was totalled, but I think the thing that pushed the damage total to $18k was the roof replacement. On the 'vert it's about $5k.
damage can be seen here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=85531

Old 02-06-2007, 10:11 AM
Rasch
1st Gear
Sorry to hear about your wreck. However, I am glad you were able to walk away. From the looks of it, I thinik Spike gave of himself to keep you safe. I would bet that insurance is going to total him out.

Old 02-06-2007, 10:16 AM
ThatsHot
2nd Gear
There is no doubt in my mind that Spike is totaled. What will be replacing him?

Old 02-06-2007, 10:53 AM
Gromit801
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Glad everyone was ok!

Looks like Spike will be fixable.

Old 02-06-2007, 08:23 PM
Green Goblin
3rd Gear
This is why I never move the car until all my friends buckle up becuase you never know what is going to happen! Man that looks like a total loss judging by the pictures but it's good cars are replacable, but another mini wont be the same as the original.

Old 02-07-2007, 09:12 AM
GBMiniGirl
Coordinator :: Houston MINI Motoring Society
Collin! OMG! I'm so sad to see Spike hurt! I'm not so sure about being totalled. Cooperphile's MINI looked like yours did after the dragon a few years back (don't know if you remember him from the Katrina rally), but he's still driving Mad-Eye.

I'm so happy you and your friends are safe, but I bet your friend wears his seatbelt from now on, huh?

Old 02-07-2007, 09:17 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Originally Posted by meg
Similar damage to my 'vert back in Novemeber although my car actually rolled onto the right side. Not as much front end damage. My car was totalled, but I think the thing that pushed the damage total to $18k was the roof replacement. On the 'vert it's about $5k.
damage can be seen here: https://www.northamericanmotoring.co...ad.php?t=85531
I just had a roof replaced, along with bonnet and windshield (couple other its and bits) came to just about $7500. (Tintop)

Old 02-08-2007, 10:59 PM
wildone3c
Well the insurance company came and got spike this morning and brought him to one of their lots for further inspection but my adjuster said that he is most likely totaled. There is slight frame damage under the passanger door where he came to rest on top of the tree. A florida SSM Member damaged a wheel in the same spot as Mine and was pushed back into the wheel well similar to spike. Her bill came to just over $5 grand just for the wheel, tire and linkage and labor and that was just for that. If I had to guess the damage is upwards of $14,000. The entire car has some damage except for the roof and boot. Even the drivers side and back bumper were skuffed and have a couple of dings in them. The back wheel may be damaged as well from the entire weight of the car landing on that one area and pushing it into the ground / mud. Hopefully I will know definatelly by Monday if Spike will be totaled. If so It will be back to the waiting game for a new 07 cooper s.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:04 PM
wildone3c
Originally Posted by ThatsHot
There is no doubt in my mind that Spike is totaled. What will be replacing him?
Spike's replacement will be an 07 lightning blue S with black bonnet stripes and web spokes. I pretty much kept the options the same as before but added the Sport (dsc so I won't go out of control on a blind curve and Xenon lights to actually see the curve and trees next time) the cold weather pkg and the comfort access system along with a few little items. I'll post as soon as I place an order for an 07 which if spike is totaled will be mid next week once I drive and see an actual 07 mini and can make up my mind for interior colors. Stay tuned.

Old 02-08-2007, 11:17 PM
MINIclo
7th Gear Gal
Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Nice specs for the new MINI, Collin. The DSC and Xenons are a must for optimum safety, IMHO. I hope they declare Spike a total loss. Sniff...

Old 02-09-2007, 06:45 AM
wildone3c
Originally Posted by MINIclo
Nice specs for the new MINI, Collin. The DSC and Xenons are a must for optimum safety, IMHO. I hope they declare Spike a total loss. Sniff...
Yep I totally agree!! I just got off the phone with the insurance company and Spike is gone forever. Good news is I will be at Brian Harris Mini tomorrow to place my order for an 07 lightning blue S. I'll keep everyone posted on "New Mini" Back to the drawing boards I go.

Old 02-09-2007, 10:59 PM
wildone3c
Well I just ordered a lightning blue 07 Cooper S and should be back motoring by late March. I can't wait to see everyone at the dragon!!!

Old 02-10-2007, 02:41 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Late March, thats a very fast build. Is that the time frame your MA gave you? Good luck in your future motoring adventures and hope your motoring again soon.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:23 AM
wildone3c
Originally Posted by Jeremy1026
Late March, thats a very fast build. Is that the time frame your MA gave you? Good luck in your future motoring adventures and hope your motoring again soon.
Yeah My Ma gave me that time frame. Actually it's not that fast. It's about 7 weeks he said so last week in march or 1st week in april. I took delivery of Spike in 5 weeks from order to delivery back in Dec 04.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:32 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Glad you will be motoring again. Hope you learned a thing or two from your adventure.

Now here's some free fatherly advice. Get thee to a drivers school, especially if you are going to prowl the back roads at night. If your buddies don't want to buckle up let them walk.

Good luck with your new car. It sounds very nice.

Old 02-10-2007, 08:39 AM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
Glad to hear that your going to be back on the roads soon. Sorry to hear that Spike was hurt so bad, but look at the bright side.

Quick Reply: The Wreck