General MINI Talk Shared experiences, motoring minutes, and other general MINI-related discussion that applies to all MINIs, regardless of model, year or trim.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

The Wreck

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-2007, 01:34 AM
wildone3c
Coordinator :: Gulf South Motoring
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts
The Wreck

Yes I did it. While going back to a friends house early this morning I was blinded by an oncoming car and hit a 90 degree curve doing 50, slammed on my brakes, ABS kicked in but unfortunatelly didn't save me from running off the road, sideswiping a pine tree, hitting a barb wire fence, hitting another tree and knocking it over and running on top of it while ramping a ditch in the process. I had 3 friends with me and my best friend who was in the back passanger seat wasn't buckled in got thrown around quite a bit. When all was said and done I got out the car in shock and he was bleeding very bad from the face and blood was all over the back seat of Spike so we had 3 ambulances, 2 fire trucks, and 4 police cars come to get us out. Luckly he is ok and just has a mild concussion and some stitches. Spike however is very badly banged up and I'm not sure if he is totaled or not. Words cannot say how happy I was to be driving him when it happend and he saved all of our lives. The tree that we hit first did the most damage and by us sideswiping it pretty much took out my entire right side including my mirror and door handle. The barbed wire fence wrapped around the front of spike and took out his windshield and front right side. The last tree I hit pretty much took out the front end and the drivers side wheel well which is now in the passanger seat. I took some pictures tonight but left my camera in a friends car so Since i'm going to the wrecker yard tomorrow I will take more pics then and post them. Sorry guys but It looks like I will be miniless for a month or 2 unless I decide to sell my other car for a classic Words can't express how I'm feeling right now so hopefully pictures can tomorrow. Be careful everyone. I've learned that even Our precious little buggers aren't invincible.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:26 AM
Jeremy1026
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Eww, glad your ok and hope your friend recovers quickly. As far as Spike, from the sounds of it, sound like he is going to be totalled. And if he isn't, it will be a very long wait for him to be repaired. Best of luck on recovery of yourself and your friends and best of luck for a speedy resolution to Spike's dilemma.

Old 02-03-2007, 03:37 AM
davavd
6th Gear
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
That is horrible. Collin, if you look here first, my reply is on GSM.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:13 AM
CR&PW&JB
OVERDRIVE
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Nope, as great as our beloved MINIs are, they aren't invincible, you're right. But they are built solidly and they do protect their owners and passengers pretty well it seems.

I'm sincerely sorry to read about your very serious accident. At the same time, I'm REALLY glad your account didn't include tragic injuries.

Good luck to you and your friends in the healing process.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:03 AM
millerd2
3rd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Glad you're okay

Sorry to hear about your accident but glad your MINI kept you safe. I'm truly amazed how tough these little vehicles are. We got rear ended while driving our 3 month old MCSa a few weeks ago. And while it sucked getting hit I couldn't believe how well the car protected us. A MINI vs. pick-up truck collision is not a fair fight, especially when the other vehicle is traveling at 50 mph, but we walked away in good shape.

Hang in there!

Old 02-03-2007, 05:47 AM
ARTSJCW
6th Gear
Glad you are all OK

Old 02-03-2007, 08:05 AM
Homme
2nd Gear
That sounds like a pretty wild ride - glad to hear you're no worse for wear. I hope your friend heals quickly!

Old 02-03-2007, 09:10 AM
Crashton
6th Gear
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
I'm very glad to here you are OK & your fiend will be too with time. Sorry about your car, but it's just a car & can be replaced people can't. As bad is this was you were all very lucky, especially your unbelted friend.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:13 AM
everytimeidie027
6th Gear
It's good to hear that another MINI saved all of its passengers, and I'm sorry about Spike

Old 02-03-2007, 11:29 AM
wildone3c
Thanks everyone for your kind words. Here are a few pics I took last night and today of the aftermath scene. I will post pics of Spike on Monday when I visit the junk yard.

Yes Spike plowed right over 3 trees.
And for the road:

Tree of Shame!

Does anyone know what this peice is? Looks to me like an engine mount or a suspension mount.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:34 AM
holdenontoit
6th Gear
your passenger side jack mount. Sorry for the loss of your ride. I hope everyone heals up ok.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:35 AM
Drewmon
2nd Gear
Those blocks are the jack lift supports from under the body (where you position the jackto prevent damage to the frame).

Sorry to hear about the wreck. I bet it's a total judging from the extensive damage to the entire car.

Old 02-03-2007, 11:58 AM
mcdbrendan
5th Gear
so sorry to hear about your car. i know how your feeling as i was recently in an accident (i drive a Jeep). you feel awful, but your still proud of your car for keeping you safe.

best of luck with a quick recovery.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:11 PM
redrocket
4th Gear
did any of the air bags go off?

also glad to hear you and your friends are fine

Old 02-03-2007, 01:31 PM
mini_dreams
5th Gear
sorry to hear about this but glad you and everyone else are okay. hopefully Spike will be, too.

Old 02-03-2007, 01:53 PM
namvet66
4th Gear
Collin,

I am glad everyone is Ok. The PICs look like Spike to a couple of good hits.

Again glad everyone is ok.

Old 02-03-2007, 04:41 PM
HighSchoolzMINI
6th Gear
So so sorry to hear about Spike, I hope he recovers

and glad to hear that you and your friends are all okay

Old 02-03-2007, 05:00 PM
DBT06MCS
1st Gear
Airbags still look intact.

Old 02-03-2007, 05:04 PM
jeffc
7th Gear
Damn that sucks..

Old 02-03-2007, 07:35 PM
PezRadar
5th Gear
Yea amazed the airbags didnt seem to go off.

Glad you are okay.. that is one scary accident! One narrow road too!!

Old 02-03-2007, 08:06 PM
Bera
2nd Gear
Really sorry about the accident mate, hope you recover soon enough and all of your friends turn out to be alright. Going to be hard to be miniless. It seems that there have been a lot of accidents as of late.

Sorry again.

Old 02-03-2007, 09:31 PM
MLPearson79
OVERDRIVE
Received 10 Likes on 2 Posts
Aww so sorry about Spike :( Glad he kept you guys safe though...how scary that must have been.

Accidents terrify me :(

Old 02-03-2007, 10:08 PM
HaveBulldogWillTravel
2nd Gear
Wow...from the looks of it, it could have been much worse for the passengers. Thankfully, no serious injuries. Good luck getting Spike back on the road soon.

Old 02-04-2007, 07:08 AM
nick_k
2nd Gear
I'm sure that barbed wire could have done a number to you guys, just be thankful you're fine!

Old 02-04-2007, 10:55 AM
wildone3c
Didn't have any airbag deployment but the impact to me seemed very smooth and controlled ( if you could call a wreck controlled) I was a little shocked that the passanger side airbags didn't deploy though b/c the right side took a good beating but both my front passanger and I got out without a scratch. My friend in the back seat hit the rear sunroof shade and his chest hit the back headrest of my seat and brused him a little. If he were only buckled in he would have walked away too. He's fine now but has 8 stitches in his head. Yall will get the chance to rag him for it b/c he is about to buy a mini and will be at the Dragon in May with me. I do agree with everyone, it could have been much much worse. After going back and looking at the site I see where my right front wheel scraped the tree and dug into the ground so there may be some suspension damage. I will find out tomorrow when I pay Spike a visit. I'll post some better pics then too. Thanks everyone for your support and i'll keep yall posted on Spike or "New Mini's" progress.

Quick Reply: The Wreck